Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Coroflute biplane with Cox Baby Bee

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Coroflute biplane with Cox Baby Bee

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Coroflute biplane with Cox Baby Bee

I'm waiting for part 2 because I wanna know how he hinged it.

Also, when I build mine, it will be four channels. I plan on using a throttled engine.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Rusty-Gunn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding waiting for part two... its quite obvious the guy has part two made, since he flew the plane. Why he won't post it is beyound me.
Anyhoo.... Not wanting to wait, I designed a biplane simular to his, using 4mm coroplast. Just waiting for my Cox engine stuff to arrive.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429490
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
SBS_Pilot

@Rusty-Gunn: Really nice plane you got there in the other thread. How long did it take you to get so far in the building process?

Regarding the delay for part two: If I understand correctly the comments he has made to the many requests for the second part he's in the editing stage of the second video. From my own experience I know that it may be a HUGE time-lag from filming to editing (I'm one kid behind in editing our home-video and has so far only got to the baby-videos from our first kid [&:] ).
Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Rusty-Gunn

To begin with, I kept coming back to this thread, just to see the guy's flight video. I was very impressed with it. I knew I had to build one, so I orderd the Cox engine set just for this project. Also, I'm currently building .46 size nitros out of coroplast, so I had the material on hand.
The elapsed time it took to draw up a set of plans on paper, to cutting out the coro parts, was only about an hour. A span of several days. Now I'm waiting for the engine stuff so I can do my plane. Still, I look forward to this next vid.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

378, standard coro hinging. Remove one side of the flute. If it's too stiff, fold it over and sand very lightly on the underside plastic. That will loosen it up quite nice OR make cuts on the hinge flute every half inch or so leaving 1/2 inch of material in between. That also loosens it up. I like to use my dremel cutoff wheel to do this as it leaves a radius on the ends of the cuts which helps keep the cuts from splitting all the way.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still like to see the guide wires and how he cuts it out...Rog
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 AM
MrGoodwreck

Just because.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 AM
flyinrog

bump
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You mightbeflogging a dead horse . By my count he has posted 25 videos since he postedthe first coroflute build video . I wonder how many people out there have a set of wings and an elevator collecting dust , waiting for part two . I was hoping that someone here would pick up the challengeand do a part two using their experience and building savvy. I have little building skill but great enthusiasm for the cox engine ............. D.J.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Rusty-Gunn

DJ... Check my thread at RCG. I got as far as he got, but posted preliminary plans. I'm waiting for my Norvel .061 to come in to complete it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429490
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 AM

He's currently editing part two, so it should be up in the next few days. [8D]
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 AM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the same answer two weeks ago when I sent him an email . He also gave the same answer more than3 months ago . Rusty-Gunn gave a linkto his project build (thank you)but I am new to building and need step by step instructions to buildthis airplane . ..... D.J.

(June 16)
Hi,

I'm editing the last part of the coreflute build now so it should go up next week. I'll be doing another coreflute build next week too something a bit faster and more exciting than the biplane.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Tee Bee

I got pretty excited after watching part 1 and cut out some parts. It ended up feeling a bit like an end-of-season cliffhanger. Who shot JR? There's no shortage of model projects to work on around here and time has been limited but I look forward to resuming the coroplast bipe when the next installment is posted.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Tee Bee

Part 2 of 3 is up, folks! At the end he promises Part 3 and downloadable plans will be ready next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFW-...feature=digest

Who's gonna be the 1st to finish one of these?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
flyinrog

It wont be me, but I'm glad he came back..working 2 jobs and hardly flown in 2 years...but its still fun...Rog
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

I won't be the first to finish a complete plane but I likely will slightly modify the plans and build a monoplane version. It will be a while before I can save up enough to buy the engine and the radio gear...mine's gonna be throttled too.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: 378

I won't be the first to finish a complete plane but I likely will slightly modify the plans and build a monoplane version. It will be a while before I can save up enough to buy the engine and the radio gear...mine's gonna be throttled too.
why do you think you want a throttle? a babebee or surestart is only gonna run 2 to 3 minutes..you run it around and deadstick in..that plane is gonna need full throttle to fly anyway...so which throttled engine did you have in mind?....Rog
you might find a throttled sure start or use one of Bernies throttles but theres not gonna be much room for a tank..that leaves a throttle ring which is more of an on/off switch than a real throttle...Rog
Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Tee Bee

I'm planning a simple, 2-channel job with a Black Widow. If it's easy enough And works well I'll probably cut 1 or 2 more out for some friends. Gonna rob a micro FM rx and servos from another plane to save some $.

I spent about 30 minutes cutting out the fuse parts. Just noticed that the finished plane has flying wires of some sort. The whole idea of building one in 20 minutes is a bit of a stretch. Looks more like a week of evenings to me. Still much faster than built-up balsa.

If it turns out ok, I'll try to bring one to the next SMALL.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

ORIGINAL: 378

why do you think you want a throttle? a babebee or surestart is only gonna run 2 to 3 minutes..you run it around and deadstick in..that plane is gonna need full throttle to fly anyway...so which throttled engine did you have in mind?....Rog
you might find a throttled sure start or use one of Bernies throttles but theres not gonna be much room for a tank..that leaves a throttle ring which is more of an on/off switch than a real throttle...Rog

1: I want a throttled engine because I want to be able to taxi out, take off, shut the engine off through the Tx, and if I need to, abort and land mid flight. I want to be able to do touch-and-goes, and if I feel the need, I want to be able to just cruise about at half throttle or so.

Of course I will have landing gear fitted as well. Likely taildragger, as a steerable tailwheel is piss easy. Just glue it to the rudder and you're done.

2: I'm going to fit as large a tank as it will carry without flying like arse. The tank will be mounted roughly on the COG so it doesn't get too out of control as it empties. I'll have the Rx and servos behind it, Rx batt ahead, so that should balance out nicely. Between this and Bernie's throttle I should be looking at 10-14 minutes per flight, comparable to what my NexSTAR should do.

3: From what I've read, Bernie's throttle works quite well. Certainly well enough for what I want to do. I'm not expecting a crisp throttle response or an all-day idle, but I do want it to idle well enough to taxi out and not die when I open the throttle. Every review I've read, every video I've watched on youtube, tells me his throttle is good for that.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Tee Bee

I've enjoyed Bernie's intake throttle and recommend it without hesitation. I'm not gonna use one on this plane to keep things simple. Like Rog mentioned, it's a small fuselage with little room for extras as xjet designed it. That's the beauty of modeling, though. Build it to suit your desires.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In response to  378  I have never had much luck taxiing planes smaller than a .10.  Unless there is a paved runway.  It is good to have a throttle though or at least a  shutoff in the case of the reed valve motors.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 AM

My driveway is paved so I'd have nothing to worry about there, and I'd still have the option of hand launching if I want to fly off a grass field.

Just because it's capable of taxiing out doesn't mean it has to do so every flight. I just want the option to do so if I want to.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 PM
flyinrog

Oh, didnt realize you could fly from your driveway,,you can do a search for bubble tanks or something like that,,I've made a tank from a visine bottle before, about half an ounce,and a brass vent tube ,,use pressure from the propwash and fill it from the engine feed fuel line..you can get bubble bottles used in weddings from the dollar tree/store here they are 4 for $1...Rog
Old 08-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I can. My driveway's a bit small for my trainer, but a 1/2A could easily enough fly from it. Too many trees for anything less durable than a SPAD at any rate.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I am ready for part 3 now.  I guess a week is 3 months in the deeeep south.  I'm sure it will be worth the wait. (but hurry anyway)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.