Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

cox .010 not actually new in box now with video

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox .010 not actually new in box now with video

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cox .010 not actually new in box now with video

At easter i bough a cox .010 that was claimed to be new in box. It arrived and i looked at it in a while i put it on my collection pile and then today i took it down and looked at it more closely and noticed that there was congealed castor oil on the piston, then i decided to take it out of the box and took off the glow head and noticed a lot of carbon build up on the cown of the piston and more congealed castor inside the crankcase. i did run this engine in today and will make a video of it later as it is a really strong runner.
the signs of running were more than just a factory run.
I just thought i would make this thead because i was surprised at the fact that some one would lie about the condition of an item and i was annoyed because it was a red and gold one and i payed the price that a nib one would cost not the cost of a used one and thought i would warn people not to always trust what one reads on eBay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_skGxRLTiY

And if you like add as a friend and subscribe.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: cox .010 not actually new in box now with video

I don't think Cox did factory runs. Not NIB as you say. On a used engine castor crud is a good indicator that the engine has been run properly and thus still has a lot of useful life left in it.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 AM
nitroairplane

That is true but i did pay the extra money for a nib engine for my collection but this turned out to be one of my best runners yet so i guess it aint so bad
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought an old crusty .010 on the bay a few years ago. It's an older red tanked version. Took a lot of cleanup and TLC to get it going but turned out to be my best performing .010, starting easier and running more consistent than my "new" versions. It's still my favorite runner and gets used the most.

There are still some deceitful sellers on the bay. I've been suckered a time or two myself over the years. On the other hand, that place has allowed me to locate and purchase some things I would have never found otherwise.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
GeorgeG97322

My Red and Gold runs much better than my Black and Aluminum engine too. I have seen many a buy it on the net add that was obvious that the seller had no idea of what they really had. Many of the sellers simply now what sells best and for how much... I've made a buck or two on a couple of my engines a few years ago. Sold one for way less then I should have, had I only known. But on the other hand I got my original investment back plus a little. I'm not in it for the bucks... Just glad to send them to someone who will use them...

George
Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 AM
nitroairplane

yep there are people out there to cheat us my red and gold ones always out performed my black ones i think there was just more care going into the manufacture of them back then i have owned 4 of each colour .010 and never has any black one equaled or out performed the red ones. But the engine this thread is a bout runs at 6 turns open and was run in at about 8 turns open. each engine really is different.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
EX Model Engines

I would agree with that Nitro. The older version of the 010 is hands down better. I am sure it has to do with more operations being done 'in house' when the 'red' version was manufactured.

Matt.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, if the seller is someone who doesn't know anything about the engines, when they see a engine in a box, they simply think it is new. I see this a lot with the estate kind of sales.
I noticed that on a number of Ebay auctions where the seller took pics of a well used engine in its box and stated it was new. So it is a buyer beware kind of time. I did get sorta burned a little on a Cox DragonFly engine. when i received it, I thought it was used, but on closer study it turned out to be new, as apparently someone started to assemble it and then stopped and put it back in the box. But then I have bought a number of engines that didn't come in a box and even looked grungy that turned out to be new and never run or mounted even.

So it is hard to say if someone deliberately lied about a engine or not being new or NIB. it depends on how knowledgeable they are. I would suspect foul play if the seller was selling many engines and buying them too as they should know what they are doing of course.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
nitroairplane

That is true it could have been a genuine mistake but yes the red and gold ones are better but then cox cared about their engines but later they weent as interested in quality my video of it is now up on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_skGxRLTiY
If you like subcribe and add as a friend.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

At one time yeas ago I remember seeing a show on TV about COX, it showed there factory and what went into building these does anyone else?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Mr Cox

What rpms are you getting?

It didn't sound particularly strong on that movie to me.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
jetpack

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Unfortunately, if the seller is someone who doesn't know anything about the engines, when they see a engine in a box, they simply think it is new. I see this a lot with the estate kind of sales.
I noticed that on a number of Ebay auctions where the seller took pics of a well used engine in its box and stated it was new. So it is a buyer beware kind of time. I did get sorta burned a little on a Cox DragonFly engine. when i received it, I thought it was used, but on closer study it turned out to be new, as apparently someone started to assemble it and then stopped and put it back in the box. But then I have bought a number of engines that didn't come in a box and even looked grungy that turned out to be new and never run or mounted even.

So it is hard to say if someone deliberately lied about a engine or not being new or NIB. it depends on how knowledgeable they are. I would suspect foul play if the seller was selling many engines and buying them too as they should know what they are doing of course.

I wanted to comment on this aspect of buying motors and one thing I have found that helps is before you bid always write the seller and ask him one simple question...is he the original owner. This stops a lot of bum deals from happening and what I choose to do from now on. I've had more than I care for on buying "new" engines only to find out they are used or dug into. I'm talking entire crankshaft, piston, sleeve and rod being swapped out of a new motor.

If the owner is one bit foggy on recalling if the motor had been run or not...don't buy it if you want it to be new.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
jetpack

ORIGINAL: Walther

At one time yeas ago I remember seeing a show on TV about COX, it showed there factory and what went into building these does anyone else?
Yes. But I only remember seeing them hone cylinders in some sort of film other than that. A hulk of a machine with a cascade of coolant.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM
nitroairplane

Hi MR.Cox yes it does sound weak that maybe for a number of reasons one is that it was ruuning etemely rich about 7.5 turns open the reason for running it rich is because when i got outside to run it i forgot that it wasnt new so i thought i had to run it in i Know how did i forget i was running it because it wasnt new but i occasionally do silly things when i am having fun.
THe second reason may be because the video was filmeed on my old iphone and they have notoriously bad audio pick up.
The third may be that i was only running 25% nitro.
But trust me when i leaned it out it sounded like it was running on 30%
As to the rpm i have not tached it yet.
I will Tach it when i get the chance.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Walther

jetpack; The one I had seen showed the whole manufacturing of the engines, including how they stored there micrometers.

Tom.