Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Dang, broke my Extra

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Dang, broke my Extra

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dang, broke my Extra

My Richmodel Extra bit the dust. My fault, Iwas flying it in rather high winds and ran out of fuel. It just didnt have the mass to keep from fluttering to the ground out of control while on final. Great flying little plane, Iwill have to get a new one, might try out my ASP 12 on it, the OS 10FP was enough but not much to spare. OH and a bigger fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82623.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1639343  
Old 07-24-2011, 02:15 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dang, broke my Extra

Jeffies, Sorry 'bout your loss......... Looked up the Richmodel site, & the nearest to a .10/.15 size that I could find was the 310 sq. in. electric model. (slightly smaller than the original Lil' Extra). Is this what you have (had)? Do you know what yours weighed in at (dry weight)? Just finished up a "counterfit Lil' Extra" (off the 'bay) & it came out at a very, very porky 32 OZs. with a .12 cvr powerplant. (Maiden to take place tomorrow morning.) Looking for a something that is a lot closer to the original Sig unit. (weight-wise). Think I had one with a XLS .15 in it that weighed in at 28(+) OZs. .............. George K.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Jeffie - Also sorry for your loss. Looks(ed) like a nice one! What was your AUW, and did you do anything radical to get there? This site lists a SU31-25 (gas) which was listed as a Yak54-25 that I picked up a few years ago (has the same pics and specs). They listed the AUW at 20oz, but turns out that was just for the body, wing and canopy / cowl weight. AUW was significantly higher.

George - I have yet to finish a counterfeit Li'l Extra that came in under 34oz. I'm using Magnum XLS .15's, HS-65 servos & etc. Not sure if I'm getting the super oinkers or if y'all know some tricks I'm missing.

EG
Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
mtntopgeo

Eric, No tricks, or "speed secrets". However, I ditched the stock tank, & replaced with a 3 Oz. Hayes (saved 1 Oz.); Didn't use the wheel pants (saved 1 & 1/2 OZs.); Ditched that goofy tall, narrow landing gear (& wheels) that the "Counterfits" are now being shipped out with & replaced with a much thinner, lighter, wider, & lower unit. (Saved 'bout 1/2 OZ). Still, I was unhappy with thr dry weight. Quite a bit heavier than the first Counterfit that I bought, & just about all the extra weight appeared to be in the rear. Ship came out very tail heavy.................... Got the unit in the air today. Still tail heavy. Gonna get a flat-pack receiver battery, & slide it under the tank, as far forward as it will go. Really happy with the CVR .12 engine, but it would be great to put it into a plane that a 6in. dia. prop could handle. Using a 7x4 now, @ 'bout 17,600 on the bench. Unloads a lot in the air. An APC 6 & 1/2 x 5 runs at 20+ K. Engine would probably like a 6x5. Might have to get a slightly smaller plane. .................. George K.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
eroc144

Well we're essentially doing the same stuff. I also scrapped the wheel pants, replaced the landing gear and the cast iron pushrods. Good input on the 3oz Hayes tank - I may opt for one. A Norvel .074 or Enya .09 would save 3 - 4 ounces, but neither of those are going to hover a 30oz plane.

What's your .12 weigh?

I've been recovering with Koverall / Nelson's paint and found that the fuse is built with thin but heavy ply - weights almost 7 ounces w/o covering! Makes me realize I'll have to get back into scratch building if I want to do this correctly. And I swore off that a few years ago.

EG
Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about that Jeff, I thought you got the official last one that sig made...heck I still got a lil extra (teal) on in the box..but havent flown for a good while now...a couple of years actually...Rog
I have an os.15 on mine...the first one had a magnumXLS .15,,what a rocket that was
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
mtntopgeo

ORIGINAL: eroc144

What's your .12 weigh?

EG
'bout 7&1/4 OZs; including an .09 Enya muffler. .................. George K.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
R/C Phile

A Norvel .074 or Enya .09 would save 3 - 4 ounces, but neither of those are going to hover a 30oz plane
Mine does climb straight-up (Very slowly) / hovers / and Torque Rolls with the Enya .09

I have to admit that I did take a few steps to keep it as light as possible but it's still about 28-30 ounces ready to fly

Here's a video of it torque rolling (On skis :-) : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOyymJZ1x7Y[/youtube]

The Torque Rolls are a little marginal with the added weight of the K&S Sheet brass skis (Compared to the foam wheels) but it still did it.

I have also crashed it a few times, the last time an aileron servo failed, and it went down hard from pretty high.. I was still able to fix it and fly again the same day.

Here's the crash: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO27daheY_4&NR=1[/youtube]

-François

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I havent gotten back here in a while, my notifications got turned off and I didnt realize it.
My Richmodel Extra with a 2.5 oz tank and an OS10FP came out to a fully fueled 27 oz.
Ipicked up another already and will install my ASP12 for the extra power. Iwas amazed at how well it flew in wind , right up until Iran out of gas.
OH and Istill have the last SIG Little Extra , just waiting for my skills to improve and have guts enough to assemble it and fly. Seeing as how I cant ever replace it since it is one of a kind.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have one of those Sig Lil Extras from when TH was clearing them out. New in the Box waiting for me to get to it. I also have my original Lil Extra completely stripped of covering and waiting for me to get inspiration.