Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Best sounding R/C Plane ever..

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Best sounding R/C Plane ever..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM
R/C Phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sounding R/C Plane ever..

OK, so it's totally off topic and really belongs in a giant scale forum but.. If that does not send chills down your spine, you're probably in the wrong hobby.

Play the 'Galloping Ghost P51 Air Racer, listen to the Idle and a few high speed passes, and let me know what Y'all think..

[link=http://www.kolmengines.com/IL200-beim-Warbirdtreffen-in-Oberhausen.117.0.html]Galloping Ghost P51 Air Racer[/link]

BTW, it's a 30% scale P51 powered by a prototype 200 CC inline 3 4 stroke gasser.

Phenomenal..

-François
Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best sounding R/C Plane ever..

Way beyond belief looks real ,sounds real ,best I have every seen besides the real ones in the warbird shows
no difference martin
Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Mr Cox

Most multiple cylinder engines do sound a little nicer than your average sure start...

The Saito star-engines are nice, but I think Moki engines are hard to beat:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeSDahp3Okk&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
R/C Phile

I agree. I think it's the combination of Multi-cylinder / 4 strokes / the prop / and Ignition..

The Saito and OS 3, 5, and 7 cylinder radials are nice but they are glows and they unfortunately don't sound that much different from a plain 1 cylinder 4 stroke glow..

The Moki would be a very close second for me. It does sound awesome and extremely realistic on Idle and in flight. It's just that the inline 3 does an unbeleiveable job of reproducing that very racy Merlin V12 sound..

I do have to say that the Kolm engine will probably cost somewhere close to 3,500.00 Euros or more.. ( $5,000 US dollars). Moki's are a lot more affordable. If I went crazy on a 30% scale bird I'd be very proud to fly a Moki powered P-47 Thunderbolt or Corsair but don't think I could justify the extra coin for a P-51 / Kolm engine like the one I showed.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Moki radials were my first choice for sound till i saw that video couple months ago. It is now number one in by book.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: R/C Phile

The Saito and OS 3, 5, and 7 cylinder radials are nice but they are glows and they unfortunately don't sound that much different from a plain 1 cylinder 4 stroke glow..
I you ever see/hear one close up, I can ensure you they are very different from the single cylinder engines. Here is a 5 cylinder Saito in a CM pro zero from my local field, the engine is best heard at the very end:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHoB33ADnq0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
R/C Phile

Yeah, I had seen that video before and I have seen an OS 5 Cylinder run live at the club a long time ago.

Dont get me wrong, those engines are VERY nice and look absolutely beautiful but they are no Moki.. It's smoother sounding than a 1 cylinder of course. In flight, to me it's still closer to a "regular" R/C 4 stroke than the real thing, they are missing the higher frequency sounds.

I think the ignition sounds may have something to do with it. Whatever it is, the Moki and that Kolm engines do sound just like the real thing..

I looked at the OS and Saito radials, they still burn expensive glow fuel (Lots of it) and they cost about the same as a Moki..
Old 07-29-2011, 02:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Most multiple cylinder engines do sound a little nicer than your average sure start...

The Saito star-engines are nice, but I think Moki engines are hard to beat:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeSDahp3Okk&feature=related[/youtube]
God that thing doesn't even sound like an airplane when it takes off. Sounds like a muscle car. Wonderful noise.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

I have a twin Saito 90 on a Sr. Tele. Sounds most excellent. Not as good as gas but like a small Harley.

Tom
Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Big Al-RCU

Whether you are a fan or turbines or not, (I’m not), you have to hand it to them for being the master of realistic full scale sound and performance. I remember my comment on first seeing a fellow club member fly his turbine was “That sounds just like a real jet!” and was reminded that it should because it WAS a real jet. From spool-up to shutdown, it did sound like the full scale real thing.
al
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moki! Moki! Moki! What a brute!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
TBONE6

At first, I thought the Galloping Ghost WAS full scale, and even laughed at the guys next to the runway. "look.....those guys look like they should be flying it!! pretty scale flying and sound!! The short take-off roll didn't sink in I guess?? Or perhaps too early in the day.........almost fooled me!
Love the Moki's and twin turbines!!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That Saito glow radial does sound better than most single cylinders. But perhaps more displacement makes better sound?

I usually prefer the sound of piston engines but, as turbines have been mentioned...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHdCaGBP54[/youtube]
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I the only one here that doesn't think the glow radials sound like singles? Because I don't. They do sound smoother than a gasoline radial, I'll give you that, but they don't sound like a single by any stretch of my ear.

ORIGINAL: perttime

I usually prefer the sound of piston engines but, as turbines have been mentioned...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHdCaGBP54[/youtube]
Ooooh, nice. You don't see many ME262s. That one's a bit big for my tastes though. I'd have one about 80-85" span. Maybe even a bit smaller, check out how tiny this F4 Phantom is!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfg1nZUzm_I&feature=channel_video_title
[/youtube]