Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
phatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

As of yet I havn't recieved the battery, motor, or esc! They have all shipped but are not here yet. I am hoping to use the battery to adjust the CG of the plane. Having said that Im not sure where it will be located just yet. Either on top of the fuse, or bottom behind the motor. The bottom of the wing is cut away as much as I am comfortable with. Im sure I can find a spot for it. Even if I have to bury it in the middle of the plane and make an air scoop to cool it.

Here is an update.

Decided to go with balsa for the ailerons.

Two pieces are nearly a perfect match to my foam ones.

Here they are mocked up.

My ghettooo vacume table to keep the foam dust down while augering out holes for the servos.

Servo for elevator

Theres one on teh other side for the rudder.

Groves cut in the top of the wing for the servo wires to lay flat, adn go through to the reciever.

Began the covering process. Its been 15 years since I covered anything mind you!!!

This model isnt exactly perfectly smooth either. lol

Yes these were annoying to get right!!!

Here goes nothin

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
phatboy

I am working on the plane again tonight. Will have pics soon! One question though. How much airflow around a lipo battery is necessary? I have this thing fitting in there perfectly. BTW I went with some sugesstions of others and stepped it down from a 2200mah to a 1000 mah battery.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
phatboy

I will let the pics to do the talking.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Toad

Why do people do this?? Post a build that is not 1/2a? This build is electric. they have other forums for this. Just because the plane is small like 1/2a planes does not make it a 1/2a.
I know it wont hurt me any to see it here I just don't understand why the electric fanatics don't get it in this forum. Yes I fly electrics too but I come to this forum to see and read about 1/2a displacement engine powered projects. something you don't see much of anywhere else. I can read about tons of electric projects in every magazine out there and all over the forum boards and do it all while on the ****ter. I just don't care to see this stuff in here. Last time I READ THE TOPIC FOR THIS FORUM IT SAID IT WAS ABOUT .15 GLOW OR SMALLER. there my rant is over
Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

WORD
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM
phatboy

Because when I started the thread I didnt know the definition of 1/2a. At least a couple people seemed to be interested so I kept posting. I do know what 1/2a means now.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm glad to see scratch building. I appreciate the effort. This is what the hobby is about.
This plane is definitely in the size range that is 1/2A feasable.
Who knows, Phatboy could eventually end up becoming a major contributor to this forum instead of just some malcontent with zero build threads and who squats to one side in the self loathing shadows of the peanut gallery...?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is 1/2A size and a humble Sure Start or a Raging Cyclone could be just as well be bolted on the front plus it is being hand made by the person who intends to fly it. Perhaps another modeller may see this and say "hey I can sand foam", then instead of buying another BARF he builds his first scratcher.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 PM
phatboy

Thanks guys. Really the only reason I didnt go glow with this is because I was told the fuel and exhaust would eat the foam. I didnt want to buy fuel just to try it, but its till not completely out of the question at some point.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 PM
skaliwag

There are methods and techniques to seal foam from fuel.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

1/2a is 1/2a this aint 1/2a

Honker1
Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Honker1

1/2a is 1/2a this aint 1/2a

Honker1
Why don't YOU lead by example and do an honest to goodness 1/2A build thread...?
Seriously, draw something up and build something from scratch.
Then take the time to upload photos and write about it.

I only click on this thread because I'm interested in the outcome and would lend advice if asked.
You on the other hand can decide for yourself if you want to click on this thread..or not.
You have no one to blame but yourself if you are stupid enough to click on a thread that you know in advance that does not suit your interests.
I do not see any RASH EPIDEMIC of small scale electric build threads going on here.
In fact I do not see very many build threads here of any sort at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
phatboy

double post, sorry
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
phatboy

double post, delete?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
phatboy

Thanks CP. After all it IS still an airplane.

Yall just pretend Im putting a .049 on it, and when I post a video just turn your speakers off and go "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, burp burp, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

I too have noticed a lack of builds in the 1/2a forum, at least Im building something, from scratch, with no plans, completely from my imagination, with no experience, AND taking the time to post pics, and listen to the advice of those who have gone before me.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM
skaliwag

BRAVO!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 PM
skaliwag

If this Forum restricted itself to the true definition of 1/2A according to AMA and / or equivalent international standards there would be perhaps 1/2 dozen participants and maybe 20 usefull, informative posts per year.
Lets just keep it friendly, going forward and talk about building/flying/crashing 1/2A size airplanes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
phatboy

On a lighter note, my heli just tried to kill me. Finally got new batteries in for it, and doing a function check spun the blades up with no pitch to 100% to make sure the track was good, about 5 seconds into the track the blades went in two different directions simultaneously missing my head by no more than an inch. I think its time for bed.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
skaliwag

You are being punished by the 1/2A Gods. How big is this unspeakable contraption?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
phatboy

Rotor span is about 24". Its a helimax axe cp. Teach me to try and mess with something that defys the laws of physics!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM
skaliwag

Oh Dear... Now you are really in the Doo Doo. ..Whirly Gigies are not airplanes. no mater how big or small their A value is. Airplanes obey the laws of physics... The contraptions you speak of beat the air into submission.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Max_Power

I stray and fly a bit of the ol' rotary wing every once in a while.[8D]

I had a flying buddy one day have a rx battery die right after he hit "idle up" (full throttle, full negative pitch). It was a .50 size glo heli. it sat there spooled up with us cringing for at least 4 minutes...while the negative pitch kinda distorted the blade disk and literally un-threaded the spindle and the 2 foot blades departed each in opposite direction. Now with only the 18" flybar left it REALLY started screaming. Against everyones warnings the owner snuck up on his belly with a broomstick and pulled off the fuel line.[X(] We almost couldn't watch. I though I was going to lose my flying buddy that day.....Turns out I did. It guess it scared him so much he never re-assembled the machine or flew a heli again.[]

Phatboy...the plane is looking great! It looks like a fairly thick airfoil so I'm interested in hearing flight reports!! looks like you're close? Don't worry about what these guys say...Its nice to have a nice build post to read, and honestly I can only think of 1 or 2 folks here who do it with any regularity. So I welcome it. I think as long as its a model the right size it interests most here. There may also be some folks who like this group and forum more than the electric section who are just working their way past the "intimidation" of working with a cox or small engine if they've never done it...And may turn into hard-core 1/2a given time. Did you do any experiments on glo fuel with pink foam? I'd be interested as its neat stuff to work with! Todd
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
phatboy

I havnt done any fuel/foam experiments, but that is coming soon! Thanks for the heads up. Gonna make an update late tonight after the whole thing is covered.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Keep up the good-work phatboy. Don't let the nay-sayin trolls drag you down. I'm doin a scale Ford Flivver in fanfold I might throw out soon with a hornet .09 in the nose.....but don't you daaaaaaare imagine it as an electric you so-in-so!

ZZ.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM
phatboy

COOL PLANE! That thing is nearly comical in its proportions.

I am still covering the foamy. I have my daughter this week, and she takes priority when she is awake, then comes college(Med Tech), then my saltwater fish tank, THEN the foamy!

Progress pics soon! I promise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.