Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Replacement Cox Pee wee 020

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Replacement Cox Pee wee 020

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Chikokishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Cox Pee wee 020

So i was cleaning my 2 pee wee 020 engines and my girlfriend was boiling them for me so that we could get them de-gunked.

Long story short, gf forgot they were boiling and set them on fire. lol.

So I know these were old engines, but she feels absolutely terrible for destroying my little engines, does anyone know where i might find one so that i can show her that its ok and help her feel better?

Chiko
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Replacement Cox Pee wee 020

How do you set a Cox engine on fire inside a pan on a stove? I'd be interested to hear how that works.

As to finding one, try the internet

[link=http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pee+wee+.020&_sacat=0&_from=R40].020's for sale[/link]

Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Chikokishi

Well, the water had soap in it, so when the water ran out the soap started burning i presume. The rear wall of the engine with the needle valve warped and melted. the rest of it seemed ok other than burnt to a crisp and not shiny anymore. Its too bad.

Chiko
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
skaliwag

There is a constant flow of Pee Wee's on Flea Bay all the time.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

There is a constant flow of Pee Wee's on Flea Bay all the time.

I call 'em TD .020 piston/liner rebuild kits!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you just found good justification to go electric! Show her after conversion that your planes still fly!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Electric? Ick!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 AM
skaliwag

GG.... Wash your mouth with SOAP and rinse with CASTOR
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 AM
GallopingGhostler

Geez (looking, ducking) I was thinking of his comment of the future potential SWMBO's hurt feelings to lift them in quick order. This forum is R/C planes, isn't it? [:-]

Of course, one could right away replace that .020 Pee Wee with a .049 reedie with throttle (sleeve or choke tube restrictor). That'll put the nitro back in the Brylcream.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Chikokishi

Yeah, my gf is still just super upset because i had the old red tank versions and everywhere online we go its "these rare engines..." I had two of them in mint condition and we were cleaning them up. Its not so much that i had a plane for them or anything, its more that we cant simply replace them. I have a .049 engine and a O.s. fp 25 or whatever it is. Just the little red ones were so cute! lol

I dunno how to make her feel better, shes been moping around all day. (The pot that she destroyed was a wedding present to her mom... ouch)

Chiko

Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
GallopingGhostler

Well Chikokishi, I guess you should be glad that the house didn't burn down. Pots and engines can be replaced. Relationships are more fragile. If you really love that gal, I'd go easy on her. I doubt those engines can be more important than her.

BTW, those Pee Wee's, yes they tend to fetch some pretty pennies on E-Bay, but I've also seen them go for a song, too. I'm sure if you are patient, you'll find something to replace those with that you'll be happy with.

And, isn't the most important thing with the hobby is to have fun? I think if she sees you can still have fun and this little mishap hasn't spoiled it, I'm sure it will make her happier.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Max_Power

The plastic parts are likely gone...., But have you tried a stainless wire brush or SOS pad on the pot and engines? The red anodize likely wont live, but I'd bet metal parts can be restored to function.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
skaliwag

Now take heed... If in some distant future SWSMBO really gets mad with you...

I think you will need new O rings.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
GallopingGhostler

Well you've got a point, Max_Power. Auto aluminum polish can clean up the crankcase exterior. Steel wool pad can clean the pan, also using a stainless steel powder cleaner can restore the appearance of stainless once the gunk is removed. Regarding the fuel line being gone, those are easily replaced. Cox International has gaskets and some .020 parts, for example:

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.020-pee-wee-overhaul-kit.html

If he needs the tank screws also, there is a more complete kit:

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.020-pee-we...-tank-kit.html

As well as glow heads: http://coxengines.ca/cox-.020-glow-head.html

To prevent this type accident from happening again, Chikokishi can pick up a crock pot at a garage sale or flea market. Those won't overheat, and they can be left unattended for a time, without worry of the liquid boiling away. Plus, it won't be using something that is also needed for cooking.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never seen over cooked engines posted anywhere at RCU ever before.
I've seen a couple unassisted triple plays and I saw Jim Marshall of the Vikings run the wrong way into the end zone after picking up a fumble.
I saw Fernando Tatis hit 2 grandslams in the same inning.
I saw Willie Mays score from 1st base on a single..
I saw a SuperTigre .35 combat engine fire up and run while it was just laying in the sun mounted to a plane..
I've seen a crow flying with an order of french fries in it's beak..
I saw a Fox .36 powered C/L plane catch fire in mid air and burn up before the pilot could land it.
I saw a hen turn into a rooster over a long period of time, but never an over cooked engine.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: combatpigg I saw a hen turn into a rooster over a long period of time, but never an over cooked engine.
Don't remind me, I used to collect eggs on poultry farm and do other farm chores including shoveling manure and hauling it to the other side of the field after high school classes.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Chikokishi

Ghostler,
Im not being hard on her at all. I am a bit sad that i lost the engines, but her being hard on herself is more saddening. Yesterday we tried to work on a little control line that were building for her, and she just got all sorts of depressed so i picked everything up and we watch a movie instead. she keeps saying things like "If i had set a timer..." "If i had used a bigger pot.." And i cant seem to get her out of it. Today isnt so bad, she thinking about other things. Shell get over it soon enough! =)

As for repairing the engines, The air intake part of the engine is warped, bubbled, and generally destroyed. The piston case lost its coating and rusted out over night, and the piston itself rusted it hardly moves anymore.

Well use a crock pot next time for sure.

Chiko
Old 11-23-2012, 02:17 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Chikokishi Ghostler, I'm not being hard on her at all. I am a bit sad that i lost the engines, but her being hard on herself is more saddening. Yesterday we tried to work on a little control line that were building for her, and she just got all sorts of depressed so i picked everything up and we watch a movie instead. She keeps saying things like ''If i had set a timer...'' ''If i had used a bigger pot..'' And i cant seem to get her out of it. Today isn't so bad, she thinking about other things. Shell get over it soon enough! =)
Well I'm glad to hear that Chikokishi. I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

As for repairing the engines, The air intake part of the engine is warped, bubbled, and generally destroyed.
When you say the air intake part, could you be mistakenly referring to the nylon fuel pick-up tubing with coiled wire like spring inside or tiny sealing O-ring? Those are readily available parts. How's the pot metal tank back? Sans the plastic parts, is it still in okay condition except in need of serious cleaning?

https://sites.google.com/site/coxeng...ruction-sheets has Cox engine manuals. The Pee Wee .020 manual is available for downloading from that site for free.

Please note, the air intake is that post in the middle of the red fuel tank. The O-ring seals that post with the air hole in it. The engine obtains its combustion air from the tank back, through the screen and the recessed channel continuing to the back outside bottom of the fuel tank back.

If the tank metal parts are seriously damaged, I don't know of anyone yet who has extra tank parts. As you probably know, Cox sold out to Estes model rocket company in the early 1990's. Estes made a go of it but as far as I can tell, engine quality suffered, they couldn't sell sufficient quantities and stopped marketing Cox engines a little more than a couple years ago. Cox manufacturing is no more. Those who sell engines and parts for the most part are selling from the left over inventory that they bought. The largest buyer, Cox International out of Canada has also made a few new parts, such as .049 throttle sleeves and a new throttle that mounts to the .049 intake "choke" tube, and anodizing (colorizing) parts.

Probably best bet is to keep checking periodically with E-Bay. An .020 should come along sooner or later.

The piston case lost its coating and rusted out over night, and the piston itself rusted it hardly moves anymore.
Corrosion can be cleaned up with a little elbow grease and the right polishing compound. It may seem hopeless, but it is not. I'd take the piston out, treat it to a Scotchbrite green pad or steel wool. Even a steel wool soap pad will work. Ditto for the inside of the cylinder walls.

We'll use a crock pot next time for sure.
I'm not sure what you were using the Cox engines in unless you're a collector. The radio control and control line hobbies are for fun. There are a lot of options and one can still have fun with all the other power plants (electric, other nitro engines, etc.) out there. This thread is in the R/C plane section, so I'm assuming you use them for radio control. Many .020 airplanes can use a throttled .049 for power. Options abound.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Chikokishi

By air intake, i am referring to the originally bronze coloured back plate that contains the screen and the reed valve. It bubbled up and warped. the screen melted out of the intake hole. I knew cox was running low, i was unaware it was out of business fully. That makes this all the little sadder!

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM
GallopingGhostler

Chikokishi, regarding that inventory, apparently it was quite a lot as Cox International, Canada bought the majority of it for around a million dollars. They have overhaul kits but apparently lack .020 Pee Wee tank parts. The majority of parts are .049 reed valve with some Tee Dee / Medallion parts.

So, Cox parts will be around for a while, but the .020 parts are somewhat sparse. As I stated previously, the .020 Pee Wee's come up for sale at various times on E-Bay. I've seen them go for less than 30 dollars even in really good condition to like new for over $60.

If you are patient and don't need a replacement right away, you might be able to find one over time that suits your satisfaction. Here are some on E-Bay:

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/251186040977[/link] - Current bid $23, bidding ends tomorrow. New.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/200849751972[/link] - Current bid $21, bidding ends tomorrow. New, sealed in original card.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/150950454011[/link] - Current bid $19, bidding ends in 2 days. Clean, hardly used.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/261130589998[/link] - Current bid $33, bidding ends in 2 days. Clean, hardly run.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156339834[/link] - Current bid $31, bidding ends tomorrow. Oily, no scratches on tank.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/110979078012[/link] - Current bid $5, bidding ends in 2 days. Tank scratched.

[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/121024538558[/link] - Current bid $23, bidding ends in 3 days. New, sealed in original card.

Anyway, I did a search using "cox (020, pee*)" in category "Toys and Hobbies" to find these. FYI.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Chikokishi

Thank you for that! Ive been keeping an eye on the bids.
Chiko
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 AM
mylamo

The woman has to go and the Fox .36 was overcooked.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM
MrGoodwreck

ORIGINAL: mylamo

The woman has to go and the Fox .36 was overcooked.
I agree...

she needs to hit the road.