Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A and Motorcycling

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A and Motorcycling

Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A and Motorcycling

Told ya
I still touch myself when I think of those Bimota pics you posted a few years back.[X(]

Funny you mentioned an RG, My buddy has both an RG500z and a TZ250.
Both are grey market bikes.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Ha Ha i am looking for a 750 hondamatic ,my girlfriend say.s she will ride one after i chop it. joe
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George, for the record my Boss Hoss was an early one before they went to automatic. Corvette clutch, foot clutch to opperate it before you started, then hand clutch once you were going. They used a small brake booster for clutch assist, but the hand clutch was still a bear.

As to "push it in", haven't had to push or trailer one of mine in the last 500,000 miles. The motor was still running fine in this one at 122,000 when I pulled it, but I did the motor on my FZR TWICE in the first 17k, then sold it to someone who wanted to ride fast for 20 minutes at a time.

Tee Bee, that's why I like that big old S&S Super E, you can clean the jets with a toilet brush if say a mouse starts building a nest in one

I'm with Vic on this one, Honda matics are fine on the old za50 for teaching a 5 year old, after that, it's time for the big boy/girl pants. The point of having that big V-Twin is that you never have to downshift anyway except to stop, or a realy big hill when you are towing your boat
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
pspring
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my CB750A cheap and in good condition for $750. Otherwise I wouldn't have one. LOL It's a good commuter bike, especially during stop and go traffic. No sore left hand! But the brakes are not so great and the seat is not comfy. Motor is smoooth! SOHC simplicity and dependability. It is what it is for being a 2 speed semi-automatic from 1977. Yes you still have to manually shift from low to high and back to low if you want but you can just leave it in high and still take off fine with the rest of the traffic and I'm 6'4", 250#. I would not own it if I had money for a real bike but you get attached because it's odd and don't admit to owning one, at least not face to face. Sorta like admitting you use a Babe Bee while everyone else has them new fangled brushless electric motors. ROFLMAO!!! Know-what-I-mean, Vern? You guys are great!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: pspring

I got my CB750A cheap and in good condition for $750. Otherwise I wouldn't have one. LOL It's a good commuter bike, especially during stop and go traffic. No sore left hand! But the brakes are not so great and the seat is not comfy. Motor is smoooth! SOHC simplicity and dependability. It is what it is for being a 2 speed semi-automatic from 1977. Yes you still have to manually shift from low to high and back to low if you want but you can just leave it in high and still take off fine with the rest of the traffic and I'm 6'4'', 250#. I would not own it if I had money for a real bike but you get attached because it's odd and don't admit to owning one, at least not face to face. Sorta like admitting you use a Babe Bee while everyone else has them new fangled brushless electric motors. ROFLMAO!!! Know-what-I-mean, Vern? You guys are great!
Hooooold on i was just having a little fun with ya. I chopped a 72 honda 750 , Amen soft tail frame and a 10 over stock front end/ 836 kitin the motor. Same deal when i was younger bought it for barely nothing in boxes and put it together over one winter. It was a good running bike and i put alot of miles on it and never had a problem. I was riding it to the dirt bike races in peoria and the harley rear rim i had spoked to a honda hub started to shed spokes but that was the only time it let me down. Probly from to many bunouts .lol joe
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not seen one BMW in here so I thought I would put my '84 R100RS. Ialso put in my Honda ATC110. I've also got an "81 Suzuki 450 that came with a little cafe faring and bar end mirrors. The little ATC110 is great for getting my plane when Iland too far away.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51945.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1848862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1848863  
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
hllywdb

Speaking of BMW, Tee Bee, what is your Adventure Touring bike? I've also riden a lot of dirt over the years, but never done the whole Adventure Tour, unless you count my old Honda 250XL or the few times I sneaked my Harly through the gates and ran down the appalachan trail a bit (not recomending it by the way). Always kind of sparked my interest a bit after watching "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down."
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
pspring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Hooooold on i was just having a little fun with ya. I chopped a 72 honda 750 , Amen soft tail frame and a 10 over stock front end/ 836 kitin the motor. Same deal when i was younger bought it for barely nothing in boxes and put it together over one winter. It was a good running bike and i put alot of miles on it and never had a problem. I was riding it to the dirt bike races in peoria and the harley rear rim i had spoked to a honda hub started to shed spokes but that was the only time it let me down. Probly from to many bunouts .lol joe
I hope I didn't sound upset or nuttin cause I wasn't. I was just self deprecating. Tis a requirement when owning a hondamatic. LOL May your ride never loose spokes! At least any more...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: MJD

1985 Yammie RZ350R with Toomey exhaust, about 5000mi on the clock. On the road so no pics today. I've been Jonesing for a Trinity 485cc top end/crank kit for a while..

Have you seen the TwoStrokeShop engine packages? They seem like they are really putting the effort into their setup..... If money were no object I'd be looking at one of their race bikes-basically they take an Aprilia RS250 and put in their 500CC RZ based engine in it. Makes about 110hp with a killer midrange hit. The bike just rapes a 600 4 cylinder in a straight line.

The only thing that is truer to my fantasy bike is a spondon framed RG500 with Lance Gamma doing the (mild) tuning and one of the upgraded transmissions thrown in.
What tears at my crotchrocket strings is the act that the original RG500 imported to Canada for road testing in 1985 and pictured on the front of Cycle Canada is sitting about 8 miles form my house, but the price tag - when I asked last time - is too steep for me.

The 485cc kit fits in stock cases and will work with the Toomey pipes so seems the way to go. We'll see how business goes this year..
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

Vicman, I recently sold my beloved ZRX to make room for my new adventure bike.
I think I need to puke.[&:]

The only way one of those would leave me is...I don't know how that could possibly happen. Mercy on your soul man!

Personally I think a Hondamatic is right behind flying lekkies and dressing in women's clothing and wearing make-up.
Might try it once but never would I tell another soul about the experience![X(]
I got so tired off switching gears on the magna I went to a scooter when I crashed it by in 2000...if this works here is my 95 sporty, 95 magna 63 Cushman, an the silverwing is under the bike cover behind the harley...Rog
oops thats the front wheel of the magna by my miata hardtop

Name:	Fc90152.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1848952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48167.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1848953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56537.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1848954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21592.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1848955  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Tee Bee

Hllywdb, I fully agree with the S&S Super E comment. I've had them on 3 of the 4 Harleys I've owned. They seem to work just fine with the 10% methanol fuel that's sold everywhere around here. My Kawi had 4 small Keihin vacuum slide carbs that hated the stuff regardless of the various additives I tried. It was a real hassle pulling those and reinstalling. On the rare occasion that I need to work on an S&S carb, it's an easy and quick operation.

I've never been stranded by mechanical problems on a Harley. Found them easier to service overall. Been stranded by Honda once, Triumph once, Suzuki at least once, and Kawi 3 times that I can remember. Still loved riding them all.

Yes, I also found the Long Way Down/Round series a bit inspirational. My adventure bike is a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom ABS Adventure. Fully loaded with all the farkles I wanted for my trip, it was about half the price of a similarly-equipped new BMW. It has a reliable rep and a good dealer network along my intended route. It's not an exciting machine to ride, but has a very smooth V-twin and carries a nice payload. Perfect for a long trip that includes some rough sections.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
jeffie8696

Hey Pete, nice photos.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Nice redemption shots Rog
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
hllywdb

You know Tee Bee, it's been proven over and over that you can get 99% of the trips possible done on a $2000 used KLR. They could have done "The Long Way Down" on an old Honda 305 scrambler. The BMW is too heavy for my taste, now the KTM is the one that gets my attention. Granted it's more money than a KLR but it will get you there when everything else won't. I've thought about the South America run, but my wife, who has riden with me everywhere starting from riding to high school with me, doesn't ride her own.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
flyinrog

Nice redemption shots Rog
Oh you byatch!!..theres a couple more..see if I can find them ...Rog
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: hllywdb They could have done ''The Long Way Down'' on an old Honda 305 scrambler. The BMW is too heavy for my taste, now the KTM is the one that gets my attention. Granted it's more money than a KLR but it will get you there when everything else won't.
When I returned to the area, the only transportation was my 1971 Honda CB100 I left with my son. Used it the first week back and forth to work 12 miles away traveling 55 MPH (90 kmh) with wide open throttle; coworkers asked me how the ride was. I told them, "It was like the scooter ride on Dumb and Dumber."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTZmECTVbs[/youtube]
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since this forum is dedicated to smaller vehicles I thought that I would show off my small scale bike and the trailer that I made for it . I regularly use it to transport my nitro buggy to the arenadirt lot and it has transported my mini super sportster and its pieces to the ball park and back as well . I sold my last big street bike when the helmet laws came in , in the early 80s . … D.J.<o></o>

<o></o>

Name:	Ax72899.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1849140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72847.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1849141  
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: MJD

What tears at my crotchrocket strings is the act that the original RG500 imported to Canada for road testing in 1985 and pictured on the front of Cycle Canada is sitting about 8 miles form my house, but the price tag - when I asked last time - is too steep for me.

The 485cc kit fits in stock cases and will work with the Toomey pipes so seems the way to go. We'll see how business goes this year..
Prices on RG's and RZ's are really steep these days in the USA, I think if I were to do one it would be a bike that I imported from Canada myself-these bikes are antiques under US law now and can be registered without having to comply with DOT or EPA regs. Same for all bikes under 200cc, you just get a 7501 form from Customs and you are good to go when you register it.

As for that RG you are lusting after, I'll just throw out a quote I am famous for: "We never regret the things we do in life as much as the things we never did." Go get that bike, the difference in what you are willing to pay will long be forgotten by the time you are too old to appreciate it. I'd have one right now myself if it weren't for a lack of them to even look at.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

You know Tee Bee, it's been proven over and over that you can get 99% of the trips possible done on a $2000 used KLR. They could have done ''The Long Way Down'' on an old Honda 305 scrambler. The BMW is too heavy for my taste, now the KTM is the one that gets my attention. Granted it's more money than a KLR but it will get you there when everything else won't. I've thought about the South America run, but my wife, who has riden with me everywhere starting from riding to high school with me, doesn't ride her own.
I like my KLR, but I am being ...charitable... in saying that it is good for any amount of distance riding. The bike needs a lot to be freeway capable, though the newer version that came out in 2007 might fare a little better. First off, The windscreen directs a nasty buffetting under your helmet at speed so you go out and buy a taller one. That moves the buffeting around the sides of your helmet and your noggin gets wobbled around until you get off the freeway. Second, the seat is made by the Marquis De Sad, it is easily the worst seat of any I have owned because it's thinly padded and forces you up against the tank. It's the only bike I have ever worn spandex shorts to ride... Third, KLR's are unstable at normal freeway speeds-you can reduce the front end wobble by tucking your elbows in and keeping a light grip on the bars but it's never far from having the bars wiggling back and forth in an annoying manner. It's more distracting than dangerous, some tires are worse than others-it's from a combination of the wide bars amplifying steering input and the front fender catching air. Oh: DOT Knobbies last about 1500 miles on the freeway and they howl like a banshee. Earplugs suddenly aren't optional...

The KLR is a good bike for a country boy that wants to cruise country roads for 45 minutes. If you can hustle a KLR down a trail it will shake the fat but you are never allowed to forget how soft the suspension is. That said, not many 600 sized singles will crawl down a trail with the engine whispering away and then hop on the freeway and do 85 until the tank runs out. A KLR is a decent commuter-I have a brother in law that uses his year round in Boise to get to work.

I like my KLR mostly for the fact that I don't care much about or for it. I don't feel like I have to dress like a power ranger to go run an errand and if it gets rained on I don't give a rat's. There are days I wish someone would put it out of my misery though.

Kolor By Krylon Fusion Paint:

Here's another pic of the Bimota for Vicman, from the day I got it:

My current GSXR:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Tee Bee

Hllydb, I wanted to like the KLR. Actually I do, but not for this trip. I have a local Kaw/HD dealer that I've traded with for many years and would have rather bought a bike from them. I plan to ride about 11,000mi over 5 weeks. About 5 miles at highway speed on a friend's KLR told me all I needed to know. I would rather be on one of those for stretches such as the Dalton Hwy but not for the thousands of interstate miles between here and there. About a week of my trip will be 2-up, so that was also a factor.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Vicman, I recently sold my beloved ZRX to make room for my new adventure bike.
I think I need to puke.[&:]

The only way one of those would leave me is...I don't know how that could possibly happen. Mercy on your soul man!

Personally I think a Hondamatic is right behind flying lekkies and dressing in women's clothing and wearing make-up.
Might try it once but never would I tell another soul about the experience![X(]
I got so tired off switching gears on the magna I went to a scooter when I crashed it by in 2000...if this works here is my 95 sporty, 95 magna 63 Cushman, an the silverwing is under the bike cover behind the harley...Rog
oops thats the front wheel of the magna by my miata hardtop
I have been hunting parts for a cushman eagle for a long time i hope i can wrench one together soon. I love my road king but for around town its kinda big .
joe
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave
As for that RG you are lusting after, I'll just throw out a quote I am famous for: ''We never regret the things we do in life as much as the things we never did.'' Go get that bike, the difference in what you are willing to pay will long be forgotten by the time you are too old to appreciate it. I'd have one right now myself if it weren't for a lack of them to even look at.
DD, I hear ya loud and clear. Another obsession stepped into the picture a couple of years ago and applying the above philosophy and a credit line from the bank I ended up with this instead (I don't mean the VW). The RZ will have to do for now..

We're on the home stretch of a light restoration, going in for some paint in a week. Spring is looking good.

Name:	Vt56842.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1849178  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
flyinrog

look up Dennis Carpenter for you cushman parts...Rog
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM
hllywdb

MJD, are you positive a Sure Start si going to be enough for that?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 AM
MJD

For single engine, might have to scale it down a bit. If I did the napkin math right, 2200 of them along the leading edges might do it. At least it's painted with butyrate dope.

We're still searching for a bomb rack, but chances are we'll never find one. About 1500 of them were made during WWII, they were designed to hold eight 20lb bombs. Gee what a great idea, cruise by an invading ground force 500' AGL flat out at 85mph in a wood/fabric trainer and lob tiny bombs at them. No chance of getting your arse shot off there.. talk about a suicide mission. Ah, the ideas born of desperation and panic.

1940 DH82A, built at the Morris plant, s/n T.5414. Has a utility rating and we have a glider tug harness for it too. Currently has a low time 1F engine (bronze trainer heads, egads they are heavy), but we also have an aluminum head 1F engine with 13 hours and an interesting history - it was built up for the Rumpler replicas used in filming Lawrence of Arabia, we are not sure if it was a spare or was used, but no matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.