Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A engine availability

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A engine availability

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A engine availability

Anyone want some NIP OK .049s? I have a few I would like to unload.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On this subject I am not a fan of the "bigger is better" mentality. It takes just as much skill to design, build and fly a high performance small aircraft. Sometimes more. The financial risk may be less, sure. And as aspeed says, they bounce better. This is not to say that big aircraft aren't cool - aerodynamics work better, visual impressions, noise, pucker factor, etc are all bigger/louder/"impressiver". No argument there! But they're just another subset of the hobby, all have their merits.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Or scratch build. Back in the 1960's and 1970's, there were many .15 kits available. These are now available on outerzone.co.uk as PDF plans. Regarding your wife's Butterfly, it's a really nice powered glider with its 99" (2.5 m) wingspan. I've got on the back burner a House of Balsa 2x2 glider kit that I plan to power with a Fuji .099S-II ABC on the nose, probably will have the same flight characteristics given the slightly shorter wing and slightly reduced power.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: vicman Anyone want some NIP OK .049s? I have a few I would like to unload.
Inasmuch as I'd like, I've got a Cub-A and Cub-B already. Those are fantastic engines, especially if one is into vintage RC and CL flying. [8D]
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: MJD On this subject I am not a fan of the ''bigger is better'' mentality. It takes just as much skill to design, build and fly a high performance small aircraft. Sometimes more. The financial risk may be less, sure. And as aspeed says, they bounce better. This is not to say that big aircraft aren't cool - aerodynamics work better, visual impressions, noise, pucker factor, etc are all bigger/louder/''impressiver''. No argument there! But they're just another subset of the hobby, all have their merits.
There's no arguing there MJD. The thing I like about small flight is although it is less apt to windier conditions, it is simplicity at its best. One can pack a small plane and flight gear, head out to a suitable field in nothing flat. There is a little more overhead with the larger stuff, more stuff to carry.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GG, I have about 7 .049s all in the package as well as some larger OK and Ohlssons