Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

More Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: More Power

"Built to crash".....if the planes are light enough and you're flying over chest high grass it's quite the reprieve to be able to pluck a "crashed" plane out of the weeds, with the engine still running, no damage to the plane.
I've had this happen numerous times with .049 powered planes. I even had it happen once with a .40 powered plane that was saved by huge "Cat Tail" swamp weeds.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More Power

Yes, the modern radio and batteries has certainly made a small revolution of the 1/2a stuff compared to when I started as a kid. Half the total weight of the planes and a lot more power too, thanks to Norvel engines. I have landed planes out of sight, and then just gone to retrieve them without a scratch on them, thanks to the low weight.

To answer the original question, the first step is to get rid of the 6x4 prop, in practise the upper load limit is about 6x3 and the APC 5.7 is a good start.
For more power than with a cox surestart engine, the Norvel .061 engines work well, about the same weight as a cox but a lot more power.