Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How Fast Dat Blink Be...?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How Fast Dat Blink Be...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1 Mile per Hour = 1.46666666666667 Feet per Second

50 Feet per Second = 34.09090909090909 Miles per Hour
100 Feet per Second = 68.18181818181818 Miles per Hour
150 Feet per Second = 102.27272727272726 Miles per Hour
200 Feet per Second = 136.36363636363637 Miles per Hour

You could set up a 150ft. trap well in front of you and video tape and time at home..
or just fly thru and see if your done by 1 mississippi lol.

146.8 Feet per Second = 100.0909090909091 Miles per Hour

http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/Fee...lesperHour.htm

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 03-01-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The longer you can make your trap, the less impact small timing errors have.
I've done 660 foot traps for .40 size and 330 for 1/2 A. Both traps are a pretty long haul for each size range to help negate any boost from a dive.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 PM
combatpigg

http://youtu.be/ipNiWDZt_UU What a nice day in March to get some sun and try to tame this little beast. This Spektrum Park Flyer radio was their first model [now defunct]...and it doesn't allow easy inflight elevon trim. The best I can do is make changes after it lands, then give it another try.
The RX is showing signs of fatigue. I had to reattach one of the "whiskers" [antenna] to the Mother Board and there are a couple channels with cracked solder traces that glitch if you plug the battery into them. So, this thing is an accident waiting to happen.
I would guess the wind was blowing at least 20 mph up high above the trees, but it was fairly steady. I glued a 25 cent piece and a penny into the starboard wing tip and it helped the lateral balance. The launch on this video was sloppier than usual because it was done cross wind..otherwise other launches today were pretty decent. At least the high wing with low thrust line tends to make the plane zoom up and give the pilot time to react to make a corrective blip of the control stick.
The next step in trimming will be carefully working the CG back.

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Pond Skipper

Sunny weather had the camera focusing better = )
This was a short run what sort of run time have you been getting?

29.6k to best at 29,972 / 113.52mph - if 4P
Old 03-07-2015, 07:37 PM
combatpigg

well the results are very consistent..! Thanks..!
I'm using a fresh batch of fuel that ought to have 15% nitro. The nitro was bought about 12 years ago and the can is almost rusted through in some spots.
The camera still gets "confused" when the pace of the action gets too quick.
This fuel cell is really cramped, so I'm only running 1/2 oz loads.
This design is just too thick and heavy for it's size and power to be optimal. I actually like flying the 7 ounce Blink with the AME better in some respects. Look at the videos side by side and you'll see what I mean.
I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat..both are thrilling in their own way. What made today special is I didn't need to manuever around any full scale aircraft.
I ordered a DX5e from Horizon with an extra RX that has "end plugs" [to help save room in tight spaces]. It's time to retire the old DX6 even though it has never crashed an airplane in the 10 years that I've owned it. They don't have new RXs for it.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Pond Skipper

Luck was on your side the weather was good enough for a fast plane in the wind the sunshine is your friend.
I would have flown today but had family to tend to. Sunday rain rain n more rain....arroooooO
Have been wishing the camera would have arrived in time to test this weekend but no dice odds are the snow up north has delayed the shipping processes.

Yes I only buy end plug type RX much rather have a long setup rather than a L shape mass to tuck in. Which RX in particular did you get?

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 03-07-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 PM
combatpigg

It's the SPMAR6100EB . It's marketed as a helicopter RX, even though the channels are marked like any other aeroplane RX.

I should have spent time on tracing wiring problems with my Jeep today!. There aren't any reliable diagrams for this year model, so I've stripped all the tape off the harnesses and am going 1 wire at a time from the source to the switch and from the switch to the device. Most of it are 22 gauge control wires and a few got hot enough to fry inside the tightly bundled harness. Obviously some of it isn't fused properly..if they DID try to fuse it all correctly there would be 200 fuses involved..!.
I lost T-stat controlled electric fan, no fuel level signal, no wiper delay, no cruise control, no instrument lights..just a bunch of piddly stuff. The scary thing is these non-essential gizmos could have fried the wiring that IS critical, so I'm separating the engine control wiring from the other junk that doesn't matter as much.
Keep the faith that your flying season is just around the corner and your .09 project with the new camera will be worth the wait...!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Pond Skipper

I have been seeing notes on some RX stating not recommended or not to be used for IC and then there is the range thing with the smaller ones. I have a few that have been shelved do to low range warnings saved for small electric projects. Its a tough call when you need something small for IC.

Bummer about the Jeep wiring, good loud tone on the meter helps when your frustrated!
Sometimes some good blog info helps to sort things out when you have less to work with in a Chilton or Haynes repair manual.
Patients and rudimentary surefire methodical techniques can save the day and that's what your doing...perhaps bad / weak ground could heat things up.

Yea time change hit so spring is near we are in the rainy season here in TX next weekend shows a promising forecast. Yea need to roll up the sleeves on the .09 project to be ready for good weather.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
combatpigg

I've been using the old Spektrum DX6 PFer sytem all these years and it's never been responsible for a crash. I've used it for every 1/2 A project, which has been 90% Cyclon or Fora powered during that time...plus I've used it with .12 to .15 powered planes with cramped space. The small size of these planes acts like a "Range Regulator" for me. At 500 feet they look pretty small and it's time to turn back.
Oh, I fired up the Cyclon today just to get a reading with my Hobbico tach because your readings had me worried. I'm still getting a pretty typical 32,000 or so with the 4.2 x 4.
Regardless if my $19.99 optical tach is accurate or not, it's reassuring to see the same old numbers I'm used to seeing. After all these years, I recognize a certain pitch tone out of that engine with the same old props, so I rarely take the time to tach it.
I don't think this engine has lost much after who knows how many hours of run time, if it could be all added up. Let's see now...a typical flight is 1.5 minutes...a typical flying session is 4 flights....an average year would have 36 flying sessions as a guess...so that's 216 minutes of running per year. I think this engine is in it's 5th or 6th year now. So it might have 1000 minutes on it...?!?!
Is that possible...?
30,000 rpm x 1000 minutes means the piston has gone up and down 30 million times...? LOL..!!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:26 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=93

If you strain relieve the antenna immediately after you open the package.. they are really solid end reliable for me and others.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Pond Skipper

32k hummm that knocks my readings if it's loaded on the ground at 32 it must be must higher in the air. I will revisit the vid and check again I had other numbers.

wow 30mil thats one tough ass motor it boggles the mind!

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 03-08-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Pond Skipper

Checking again these numbers show as well I didnt give them a second look as they seemed high

33.7k if 127mph
the highest recorded rpm 38.7k

If 38.7k / 146 mph but the plane didnt look that fast = )
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM
combatpigg

MJD..thanks, I'll order one of those Lemons..!

PS..I agree it just doesn't look that fast. I Wavoscoped 2 downwind passes at 15 and 38 seconds with pretty clean lines but as you know it's easy to fudge 10+ mph with "optimistic" graph work.. What I should do is put the "HOWFAST?" gizmo on it as a reference and pick a dead calm day to get some readings. I'm a firm believer in that little instrument. It would require some "ditch work" to install it in that solid wood wing.

I've owned 2 Hobbico tachs..[just 2 in all of these years] and they both registered in the neighborhood of 30,000 with the Fora .049 or 32,000 with the Cyclon turning 4.2 x 4 props on 15% nitro.
So..the question still remains..."How fast dat Blink be..?"
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 AM
Pond Skipper

Yea I want one of those gps speed readers in the shrink rap form think they are 27g if not then the case type jumps up to 43g if I recall.
It would be nice if it had a rpm sensor too! I have thought of ways I could make a shoulder mount for my radar gun with a button down at the
transmitter level to press and show the readings in cam view as the plane passes by. It would be the end all be all way to variefy any gps readings
and give me a look at particular passes done in cross winds vs down and up wind passes.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by combatpigg
MJD..thanks, I'll order one of those Lemons..!
Get a 5-pack and you'll start treating them like consumables. At this point I have no reason to believe they are not equal in quality to any of the name brand receivers. Or the same. But.. deal with the antenna.

The antenna are two short stubs of stranded wire soldered to holes in two corners of the board. As soon as you open the package, glue a short strain relief across the board supporting the first 3/16-1/4" of the wires, so that the solder joint and the spot where the solder stiffens the wire never flex. Then you're good to go.

The only trouble I had was recently - with one of these receivers, I manhandled it as I tried to find a location in a foamie POS - actually one of those SparrowHawk $15 foamies I was wedging an oversize motor, battery etc into. Eventually I had the receiver up in the forward bay in a spot I liked, but at that point I had wiggled and bent the antenna around a bazillion times trying to fit it here, then there, etc. I had Gooped the base of the antenna wires rather than bond them to a piece of hardwood or bamboo, but I did this after a LOT of handling had already occurred.

I kept getting odd twitches once I got 400-500 feet out, and it scared me, so not sure if it was radio or flexing foam control surfaces I brought it in. Turns out, after I had gooped the antenna bases and stuffed the thing into place, that I ended up flying the aircraft 3-4 times after fatiguing BOTH antenna joints to failure.. oops! Kudos that it worked as well as it did.

Fixed it and I can speck it out without worry now.

I have one in the Toucan, and have been using three of them regularly in parkies with out anything to report, no news is good news in that department.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Pond Skipper

Dynamite GPS Speed Meter, DYN4401
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4401
best price I have seen is $92.99 so far with free shipping for this one
only 30g it is the smallest and takes up the least amount or room thinner than others.

Also this 41g / 60 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-GSM-01...ht_5956wt_1127

Old 03-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Pond Skipper

Welp I done did it I just bought the Dynamite only 20mm thick and at 30g its over with lol.
I can temp it under the wing for a reading in the case of the Skorch as there is no spare room inside.
This thing is small enough for most 1/2A projects and above.

I guess after 93 readings it has paid for itself
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
Get a 5-pack and you'll start treating them like consumables. At this point I have no reason to believe they are not equal in quality to any of the name brand receivers. Or the same. But.. deal with the antenna.

The antenna are two short stubs of stranded wire soldered to holes in two corners of the board. As soon as you open the package, glue a short strain relief across the board supporting the first 3/16-1/4" of the wires, so that the solder joint and the spot where the solder stiffens the wire never flex. Then you're good to go.
Ditto!!

I do the same. I'll rummage through my box of round toothpicks until I find a stiff one (what guests don't know won't hurt them), clip the ends, then hit it with thin CA to harden it even more and hot glue it to the bottom of the RX board. Like Mike, it extends a 1/4" to 3/8" beyond the edges of the board. I cover the entire length of the antennas, including the toothpick, with small diameter heat shrink tubing. I've had no problem at all, but without support, the very fine antenna wire will eventually fatigue.

These things are so cheap that I give them as Atta Boy gifts.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:23 AM
MJD

And the customer support I have seen detailed in some dedicated threads tells me they are a good outfit. They have turned around fixes and new products in ridiculously short periods of time.

In truth there is no reason for receivers NOT to be so cheap, except for, lessee.. profitable distribution chain, retail packaging cost, marketing costs.. oh yeah that stuff.

The core products in many 40-75 dollar receivers are, in my crude/cynical way of looking at things, $3-5 Rx boards with things soldered to them as needed, much like these.

The pinless boards are insanely light, I bought two of them as well. One day I'll make that 12" span full house 3.5 oz .010 biplane..
Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 AM
aspeed

Well, I guess we can see how accurate the previous guesses were for the speeds, with the new Dynamite toy.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Pond Skipper

I confess to buying some cheap slow boat from china RX in shrink rap that work just great.

Yes in deed Alan retrospectively the suffering will be over on my end I have been wanting something small enough for 1/2A
The 20 mm thickness and weight sold me at 30g.

I look forward to taking my normal readings from the video and compare to the GPS Speed Logger.
My current method has been reasonably close as I have done some checking with known speeds on video taken by radar and loggers .
The trick can be the rpm readings they tend to jump around with different high and low sets of numbers it helps to know a tach reading on the ground.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 PM
combatpigg

I love inexpensive gadgets that can give you speed reports right there at the field. Especially while you are trying to find the best prop for a given application. It doesn't matter so much how perfectly accurate it is, just as long as you get comparable readings.
I'm sad to learn that the HOWFAST? is no longer being made...but it only catered to .001% of the RC Flying population.
Yes..I'd love to have a video cam that displayed the speed of the model...! Would I pay an extra $100 for such a feature..? If I was told I had incurable cancer, then yes I would indulge. Otherwise, I don't really have an urgent enough need to part with yet another $100.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Pond Skipper

You did good and just bought the other day what you really needed the most a new radio and extra RX most worthy investments!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM
combatpigg

Well, thanks for defending my most frugal use of "discretionary spending" funds..!
I gave my wife a Nelson .40 a few years ago for her birthday, so that she wouldn't feel left out of our "discretionary spending" program.!
LOL.
Looking back on 1) years of the Spektrum DX6...if it averages out to $20 per year [plus upgrading the lousy TX battery]...it ended up being a fantastic value.
The name Spektrum is subliminal advertising to give the potential buyer confidence that he can "speck out" his model and still bring it home.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Pond Skipper

Haaha !

Yes after I saw how fast the batteries get drained down with the Spektrum I had to buy the NiZn right off 1.5v nominal to 1.9v charged if the session is a all day event your golden with just one TX and multiple planes.