Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

The Plane Control Truth

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The Plane Control Truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Plane Control Truth

Thought I would ask here, do we need to register 1/2a's as Drones, or what do we know? Just heard about the new law, so what do the flyers here know about it all, and what must be done?

Thanks for your posts !
Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RC pilots use wings (AKA a plane) to fly around these parts not a gaggle of engines and props.

Statement from FAA:
If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register.
The new rules would not apply to model aircraft. However, model aircraft operators must continue to satisfy all of the criteria specified in Sec. 336 of Public Law 112-95, including the stipulation that they be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes.

Hobby drone operators will have to register if over 1/2 lb / 8oz and up to 55lbs

Owners can register unmanned drones at www.faa.gov/uas/registration starting next week.
Rules can be viewed at
http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213—IFR.pdf

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 12-16-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 AM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Pond Skipper, I believe you may be mistaken. The FAA considers everything as sUAS (small Unmanned Aerial Systems), or drones, no matter if it is a hex rotor, quad rotor, Guillow's Piper Cub or 1/4 scale Citabria. If it flies under control (so not free flight) and is between .55 pounds and 55 pounds, is it considered an sUAS and, therefore, must be registered. This is how it was detailed to my radio control club on 12/8/15 by a representative from the FAA in Minneapolis. Looking at the entire 221 page ruling, it states the same thing. Unfortunately, if you own a model aircraft that weighs more than half a pound and is controlled by any means (including control line), it needs to be registered. Here is a snapshot from the Summary section of the rules document you posted above:

Respectfully,

Tim

hmmm, can't get the snapshot to post...... Its basically a snapshot of pages 6 and 7 from the rules document posted in your post.

Last edited by exocet-RCU; 12-16-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Remby
Thought I would ask here, do we need to register 1/2a's as Drones, or what do we know? Just heard about the new law, so what do the flyers here know about it all, and what must be done?

Thanks for your posts !
Anything flown in the air outdoors (NAS) that weighs 250 grams or more needs to be registered. Period. One registration per person will cover that persons whole fleet.

sUAV over 55 pounds will have something not decided on yet to deal with.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Remby

Wink Control Line as well?

So , you state control line as well? Also, There are a number model aircraft here that are static, or not being flown, no engines or radios installed. Would these need to be registered a well ? If I only had these , would the law still apply to register? Control line, for real?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:21 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not models that are required to be registered, it's PILOTS. It doesn't matter what you own, or how many, if even one of them meets the FAA criteria, you must register to stay "legal". Reading all the crap on RCU lately makes me think I'm the only one that has actually READ the FAA statement.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes Tim your correct. For now on this is 1/8A to 1/2A Drones / UAS forum according to the regulators.

Thanks to drones we all get to call ourselves drone operators now

To the FAA everything is a Drone or UAS (unmanned aircraft systems) if its over 8oz or 250g or 1/2lb then you must have your registration number riding with the craft inside a hatch out on the wing etc somewhere that it can be read.

A electronic email will be sent with your unique registration number per a 5 dollar fee via CC is used to verify who you are. A operator must be 13yrs or older to register. Kids 13yrs or older can operate from their parent's reg. until they have there own CC account. Mind you if there is wrong doing with the craft the person holding the registration number on the plane will be responsible. For the first 30 days the fee will be reimbursed back into your account. Also you have to be an
American citizen to fly 8oz up to 55lbs.

Kids under the age of 13 can fly 7.9oz or less with no reg. under 400ft or less. More and more manufactures will make sub 8oz flying toys so kids can still enjoy an entry level peek into the hobby.

That's it in a nutshell ..
Old 12-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes Remby if the craft is able to fly and weighs over 8oz it has your registration numbers
on board regardless of any form of control.

We are not pilots we are now all considered (drone or UAS) operators by Federal Law.

Pilots fly the craft within or on the craft while it flies.

I will have some stickers made about this font size: 798645

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 12-16-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless registration is monitored at point of sale, this ought to work about as well as gun registry. What a PITA - hope it takes at least ten years to filter up here.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for your posts !
It looks like we will need to register ourselves [with the FAA] and make sure that each plane is properly marked with our assigned number.
The hope is that our AMA membership can provide automatic registration with the FAA.
The AMA is supposedly trying to negotiate this as a convenience for it's members.
There is dim hope that the registration requirement for Traditional RC Flyers is tossed out altogether because it violates a Congressional Act that prevents the FAA from doing what they are doing right now to us.
This is a case where no law maker wants to be accused of DISCRIMINATION against just the Drone Flyers, so the mentality is to penalize ALL model flyers EQUALLY.
The Political Correctness mentality at it's best.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Remby

Thanks for the posts all..

Late to this, I do not fly at a AMA site, and I am not a member. Fly on the farm, up in the hills.

Did hear a news report, and came here to read about the drone law, looks like I have to do something then.

If I am the registered, why do they have a weight / size listed for the drone?

Life, Liberty , Happiness , heard that before somewhere ...
Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 AM
exocet-RCU

CP, according to the FAA representative, the AMA numbers will not work because they don't have access to them. They also don't want to rely on a second party to get the information. I suppose it is easier for them to have their own database with their own numbering system and not to have to cross-reference to another party's data sets. More of a PITA for us but I think, "Shoot, the government already knows who I am from having to go through a background check every time I buy a firearm. At least they will know I'm an aircraft nut as well as a gun nut." I'll appear "well-rounded". :-)
Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by exocet-RCU
CP, according to the FAA representative, the AMA numbers will not work because they don't have access to them. They also don't want to rely on a second party to get the information. I suppose it is easier for them to have their own database with their own numbering system and not to have to cross-reference to another party's data sets. More of a PITA for us but I think, "Shoot, the government already knows who I am from having to go through a background check every time I buy a firearm. At least they will know I'm an aircraft nut as well as a gun nut." I'll appear "well-rounded". :-)
The way I see it, if there ever was an incident involving a traditional RC model that was not registered with the FAA [but had an AMA number], the FAA would ask [demand] the AMA turn as much info as possible over to them. A pretty sketchy scenario but the AMA number would work just as well if I planted a model in the side of a blimp.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 AM
aspeed

You must be an American citizen? That is interesting. No more World Championships in the US. I can save the trip to Muncie if I want to fly.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 AM
combatpigg

There is also a requirement that the number be accessible without using a tool, because we can't expect a government official who makes $80,000 a year [plus full benefits] to carry a multi-tool.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by aspeed
You must be an American citizen? That is interesting. No more World Championships in the US. I can save the trip to Muncie if I want to fly.
So much for reciprocity between MAAC and AMA, at least as far as flying stateside.

Now all they have to worry about is one of the 7 million American citizens that already own "drones" and don't give a crap about the rules.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

IF they weigh more than 0.55 pounds, YES.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM
rcguy59

Originally Posted by aspeed
The same thing occurred to me. One more way this whole "registration" BS strikes me as the beginning of something far more ominous. A non-citizen can drive a car, but not fly a "drone"? The government seems to be taking our toys a lot more seriously than we do, and that's NOT good news.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Pond Skipper

Imagine after the 30 day free fee time period and 2 million more folks end up finally
signing up and pay the fee for their 8oz plus flying recreational kites, rockets, planes, drones, heli and general air born toys. Bingo the FAA just got funded 10 million dollars.

Begs the question do they get taxed for the income infusion?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FAA .jpg
Views:	160
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2136251  

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 12-17-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM
rcguy59

I'll bet they've pissed away at least $10 mil. just getting to this point with us.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:30 PM
guitarsbanjo

I guess my question is, what does this fix? Let's suppose some terrorist decides to strap a bomb on his {presumably} registered drone and flies it into a building...boom...now some fed is going to find somewhere on said drone the terrorist's registration written in sharpie and go arrest him? Or what about the idiots flying close to approaching aircraft at the airport, does the airline pilot read the registration off of the side of the "drone" as he flies by? What problem does this fix? It just seems like a way to get a few more bucks for "enforcement" from those of us who actually follow the laws, and means absolutely nothing to the people who do not. The argument can be made, it's only $5 bucks, and besides I'm following the rules, so what does it matter to me. But what if, at my little local airport a pilot reports a "drone" flying near his aircraft, now the feds have a database with my name in it, so at some point might there be an investigation where they come question me, ask to see my "drone", lo-and-behold it matches the description, and now I'm a person of interest.

Same reason I don't like gun registration, when they decide your guns are not legal will they come to your house to get an account of the guns you have registered? I realize that is far-fetched, but man in my adult life of 44 years a lot has now happened that I could have never imagined when I was 20!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
BrightGarden

I called my Congress(man) today and lodged my concerns with the FAA. The gent on the line who professionally took my call seemed no stranger to the fact there is a problem arising.

Whatever you do, don't just gripe about it. Get your act together, be organized, call your Congressperson.
Then, write a letter. Use facts, refer to the reg, and be organized. Yes, you can be impassioned, too.

Here is the header of the FAA reg:

BILLING CODE 4910-13-P
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Parts 1, 45, 47, 48, 91, and 375
[Docket No.: FAA-2015-7396; Amdt. Nos. 1-68, 45-29, 47-30, 48-1, 91-338]
RIN 2120–AK82
Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft

Here's a decent little article about how the W&M committee is reauthorizing the FAA right now, and not just rubber stamping it.
http://morningconsult.com/2015/07/fa...udget-impasse/

Get to your Congressperson. Several ways, several times. You have to ring the bell.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 PM
rcguy59

I just got an email from AMA telling me not to register yet. Whattabunchacrap.

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council

Last edited by rcguy59; 12-17-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:59 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for your posts !
You are the one being registered, not your aircraft. If your airplane falls within the weight limits specified by the FAA (as I remember it is .55# to 55# and you intend to fly it outside it must be registered. The term Drone has been used incorrectly but if it flies, regardless what you call it, you need to register by February 16. Registration starts at the FAA web site on December 21.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 PM
combatpigg

This was submitted by another AMA member as an example of some key points to use when contacting your Congressman.

Dear Congressman/Senator:

As a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as a national community-based

organization, I am very distraught at the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that beginning December 21, 2015,

we will have to register with them and pay a fee for doing what we have been doing without the need for federal registration for many

years. This new requirement is in utter and complete defiance and contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which

was passed by Congress and the Senate. Section 336 of the Act provided that the FAA "may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding

a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft" provided it meets certain criteria further defined in the act,

all pertaining to the use of such aircraft as a hobby and under the aegis of a "nationwide commnity-based organization."

The AMA is such an organization, and was part of the process that resulted in the recent registration requirement. However, the new

requirement was put in place over the objection of the AMA and in complete disregard for the 2012 Act. The FAA claims that the new

requirement is not a new rule, but rather an enforcement of an existing regulation that requires the registration of all pilots. This

"excuse", if you will is complete nonsense.

First of all, the Act does not say that no new rule would be enacted, the Act uses the word "promulgate". The definition of

"promulgate" includes 'publicizing, promoting and making widely known'. By announcing this new process, they are most certainly

'publicizing, promoting and making widely known' this requirement, whether new or not. I submit it is a new requirement, because they

are making new provisions for the registration of model aviation enthusiasts in a manner that heretofore did not exist.

Secondly, the FAA is not consistent in enforcing its requirement to register pilots in the interest of air-space safety, because there

is no such registration requirement for pilots of so-called 'Ultralight' aircraft. Because their range of flight is far greater than that

of a radio-controlled airplane, and due to their sheer size and weight, they present a far greater safety to the public than a model

airplane.

The AMA is a well-known and respected organization that has fostered aviation education and model flying for over 80 years. For these

reasons, in the 2012 Act, Congress, in recognizing such value, protected the model aviation hobby from any FAA regulation. We now see

the FAA acting in complete disregard for the law and overriding Congress' protections.

On behalf of all model aviation hobbyists, I hope that you will look into the FAA's actions, and do what is necessary to void the

actions of this rogue agency.

Thank you for your consideration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.