Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shack 1/2a SST , ACE foam wings?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hobby Shack 1/2a SST , ACE foam wings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Shack 1/2a SST , ACE foam wings?

Did this kit come with the Ace wings or were they Hobby Shack cores?

If not, are the ace wings close?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy on ebay making reproduction ACE foam wings tapper and non.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:46 PM
TampaRC

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper
There is a guy on ebay making reproduction ACE foam wings tapper and non.
That does not answer the question asked?? What ??

In addition, those foam cores are not genuine Ace replacements. They are Styrofoam, not molded foam, and they are not same dimensions, off by a significant amount. Been there, figured it out.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Pond Skipper

No idea but there is this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-ACE-R-C-...AAAOSwyKxXgUeR

Item location:
Wildwood, Florida, United States

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 07-11-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:20 AM
aspeed

A search came up with this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631018 It looks as though it was similar, but just hotwire cut foam wings, not the Ace brand. Funny how the Ebay wings are only $10, but are over $30 to get to my door. I cut a set from pink foam a long time ago with a bit longer span, but the same root and tip shapes from an Ace plan. Maybe I should get off my butt.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM
guitarsbanjo

If they are the same as the original RCM plans, they call for a Sure Flite Foam Wing. I remember Sure Flite airplanes, don't know anything about the wings. I think Midwest used to have a foam wing that they sold also. I haven't seen the Hobby Shack plans, but the rcm plans show using balsa skins covering most of the wings, so makes me wonder if they are just cut wings or were the molded hard wings like the ace wings.

Austin
Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

I have a couple of new 1/2 Asst kits, and straight and tapered Ace foam wing sets, and can definitively state that the 1/2 Asst does not use an Ace foam wing.

The foam core wing of the 1/2 Asst is a base to which wide sheet balsa leading and trailing edges and rib cap strips are applied to. This method of wing construction was common with larger models back in the day. It is not particularly light, and probably the most appealing features of this method of wing construction is that it is fast to build and self jigging. Unless you already have a foam cutting setup or someone local to cut cores for you, I think you would be best off to just design a new balsa wing using the same airfoil. The Ace GLH kit was offered in both built up and foam wing versions. A light built up wing GLH is considered to be an exceptional performer, and a foam wing GLH a decent sport flyer.