Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the Papillion?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone know the Papillion?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 AM
KAREL NOVAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know the Papillion?

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Just adding a link to my Papillon plans if anyone dredges up this thread:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/papillon.pdf
Whomp, there it is!
Dave

Hi, after so many years searching for PAPILLON, my dreams became true, so I could at last fly the PAPILLON again.
I would like to say THANK YOU to……………FRITZKE for helping with his information and ideas about this model and too LACERNE for his photos.
Below you can see the result, see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l5K5SZoWcM

Greetings
ALEJANDRO PRATI
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
digital_trucker

'slow flying powered glider' - hawhawhaw, maybe with a babe bee on it.....put a black widow, a norvel, or a well broken-in Wasp and you'll find out how much of a lazy flyer it ain't!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
tri-pacer

ALEJANDRO,

Nice job on the Papillion and also a fantastic catch at the end of the flight shown in your video! Also it's interesting to see someone posting from Barcelona. The reason I say that is because I work for a company that's based out of Barcelona called Frexienet, who makes Cava. I work for their California Cava house, Gloria Ferrer. I was just in your country last year for business. I might be back next year and if so, we'll need to do some flying!

Chuck G
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a great video, Alejandro! It feels great when you finally complete a project you've been dreaming about for years. I agree with Chuck, that was an awesome catch at the end.

David
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastico Alejandro!

I think I smelled the nitromethane when the engine started!

Robert
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM
wb4snu

Hi folks
Just happened on the thread and would like to comment. I finished scratch building a papillion about a month ago. I went with electric and boy does it fly good. Almost like a small glider with the motor off. I have been thinking about putting a diesel on it and trying that. I have an ap wasp and would like to send it back to the China person that built it and put it where the sun don't shine. Worst 1/2a motor I've run. It leaks at everywhere it bolts or screws together. Back to the papillion, GREAT PLANE.
Richard
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
BalsaWood-inactive

...built a Papillion in the late '70s or early '80s...bought the kit at HobbyLobbyInt in Brentwood, TN...made a few changes...used model r/r basswood instead of the balsa or spruce spar material in the kit...the kit was something like 45" span...the basswood strips were 24"...decided to use whole length by spacing the ribs out equally to compensate for the increased span which came out to 48" and added wingtip plates from thin ply that resembled some the EAA homebuilt designs were using...the tips would support the wing like the Moni motorglider tips did on the real aircraft, only Papillion wouldn't have a small wheels in tips...added some triangle stock down the length of the ply keel sides where it glued to bottom of fuselage...put three ACE micro servos from the '70 side by side with carpet tape between them...the inside of fuselage was just wide enough...turned the middle servo with output arm opposite of the outboard servos on either side...used a thin wire inside very small tube and a sleeve throttle on a Cox .051...and used a Canon radio...changed things around later...the Cox engine worked OK but wouldn't throttle down enough to land the Papillion with flying it onto the ground...trimmed the model by shimming the trailing edge of wing up about 1/16"...washout had been added to the wing when it was built...something like around 1/4" at tip...decided to try a different engine and two Bantam Midget servos...the carpet tape between the three smaller servos had to be taken out by pressing a single edge razor blade between the servos and insides of fuselage...the engine that was used the most was WenMac .049 with backplate drilled and tapped to 4-40 for a Fox pressure fitting...with a fuel line going to 2 oz. Pylon or Sullivan tank and other line going to carb. This worked and engine would nearly die and seem to start again until it used all the fuel...the line had to have a Foremost 'Tee' fitting in the line to refuel model and a plug to seal it...battery pack was 450 Mah and model could be flown a lot...some flights must have been at least 30 minutes...WenMac engine could be supplemented with yardsale buys like the AMF, McCoy, Testors engines from c/l or tethered cars...even the engines with nylon crankcases had parts that were usable...some of those had front rotary valve crankshafts even though they were reedvalve types...the companies were the same and probalby used up parts left over from engines stocks that were no longer made...the Cox fuel would run OK in the WenMac engines...but the Testors fuel wouldn't run the Cox very well...ACE Radio had a good 1/2A fuel...with some anti-foam additive...Fox had MissileMist...it seemed to work the best because it had enough Castor that the needle valve could be set lean...maybe more to clean off models but engines seemed to last longer...mixed leftover fuels of all brands into the larger container when they could be bought at stores that were going under or swapmeets...as long as there was enough of the Castor the engines would run alright...still like 1/2A models best, only now I only use Diesel engines...and instead of the usual 6X3 or 6X4 on the glow engines, I use 7X4, 8X3 props...that let the blades peep past cowling a little more...and Diesels aren't as loud as the glows...compared to glows with mufflers and Diesels without...always interested in oldtime modeling...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 AM
HAIDAR

DEAR FRIENDS
  SOME BODY  CAN TELL ME ABOUT PAPILLON SPECIFICATIOS (SINCE IN   http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/   MAINE PAGE ITS
WING SPAN IS  45.5"   BUT IN THE PDF PLAN ITS WING SPAN IS  42.8"
Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
510thousandths

I know I'm reincarnating an old thread, But this thread was one of the reasons I built my own Papillon and found David Fritxke's page. Alejandro's video put it over the edge...

And the result!
(sorry for the bad video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nc6rFmRfZc