Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Coholic Geared 049 Twin plans...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Coholic Geared 049 Twin plans...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:42 PM
flysrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coholic Geared 049 Twin plans...

Andrew, Bsindel....
Thank you for being polite and not stating the obviuos,(gosh what an !@#$). I went back and re-red all the posts in this thread and realized that i missed an important sentence, posted by LouW.. As he stated "remove the head of the bolt and tapped it for a 4-40 bolt". or something to that effect I looked at th3e picture and assumed it was all one peice. I thought in my haste he just turned the head of the bolt down and into a washer so that it was all integral. My mistake. I have gone out to the shop already and turned off the built in washer so that I'm left with a straight shaft. Know I just have to route around and find a washer that will fit with little slop. Also I forgot the medallion line was a beam type motor. It would be neat a doo-able but I might stick the planes for the first one. I have a fairly new Cox Black Widow in the basement, Andrew You said in another post that you have a bunch of .049's in the shop. Would you have a mate for this and how much would it cost for you to part with it.
So far I have the crank done, bearings collected, Pinion gears purchased., and broke my lathe and repaired it, I just have to find some aluminum and potentially another .049. I'm leaving for Florida(RC world Time shares) for a week so If it seems like I have left it is only for a short while.
This is exciting for me, I have never paricipated in a group build before.
Dave W.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:30 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,
So you need a Widow? I could probably set you up with one. If not, I know I can assemble the same engine (black widow case, cylinder and tank) but it may not be "black" if thats OK.

Also, what aluminum are you after? I have quite a bit of stock in my shop...

AJC
Old 10-24-2003, 07:15 AM
flysrc

Andrew,
Black is only a color and not that important, I need aluminum for the carier.
Thanks Andrew.
By the way as we have never met, But I was speaking with my Bother last night and I guess he had the pleasure of talking your ear off from what I understand this summer at the Tillsonburg fun fly. He was flying a .40 sized white Kaos. that was about a heart beat away from hitting the ground at any one moment. That was was awhile ago but he wanted me to mention it to you. You left quite an impression on him with your assortment of aircraft.
DaveW.
48 hours and copunting till Florida and warm weather. Pools, beaches and of course Mickey. Already have breakfast booked with him and the family. I'm still not sure about a commercial airliner though. Back in a week.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:26 AM
ajcoholic

Hey what a smnall world! I dont remember the plane but I would maybe remember his name..

Anyhow, email me with your address and I will set you up with some aluminum and an engine.

Andrew

[email protected]
Old 10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
flysrc

Andrew,
Sent you an e-mail but not sure if it went thru.
I don't want to send it twice and tie up your server if the first made it.
Dave W
Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 PM
ajcoholic

Here is a CAD drawing by Bill S for you guys that cant read my chicken scratching...

What a guy!

AJC

PS, so anyone get one built yet??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40368.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	70928  
Old 10-29-2003, 01:39 PM
bsindel

AJ,

Thanks for posting the drawings for me. One day I'll figure out posting photo's.

I also wanted to let folks know that if they would like the drawings in DXF or DWG format, just email me and I will send you a copy.

Boy do I hate being without my shop. First AJ comes up with several neat things to make, and now Tim has a project that looks like it would be a hoot to build. Arrrrggghhh [:@]

Bill Sindel
Old 10-29-2003, 02:13 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

[quote]ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

[quote]ORIGINAL: bsindel

Bill, can you elaborate on that a bit please? I'm doing all my stuff these days in CAD, but nothing like your exploded view. All my drawings are strictly 2D 3 views. Does ACAD have a function that converts your 3 view into an Isometric projection or are you manually drawing it out at an angle, piece by piece? I dimly remember Isometric projections from Mr. Lancaster's high school mech. drawing classes way back in 1964 but I reckon I'll have to brush up some!

Actually Dickeybird there is a function on autocad to get isometric and regular views out of any 3D object I use ver. 14 and pretty much make solid models that you can turn around to any angle you desire. Its pretty simple once you get the hang of drawing solid objects and the rest of the views are just one click away. Here is an example of a DF airplane I am designing at the moment on all 4 views

Name:	Wu59990.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	70946  
Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
You and me both!!
I have no access to a lathe here... drives you mad dosen`t it? I se a drill press on it`s side when i really have to `turn` something! At least i have access to a drill press though!

J.M
Old 10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
LouW

I finally finished. My hats off to you if you can make one of these in 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Its easily taken me twice that time spread over several weeks. Of course I had to make a fixture and a drill jig, and had to do some things twice (because I goofed the first time).

To the questions regarding use of wood, plastic laminate, or some material other than aluminum, I have to say I don't think it would be possible. For the gears to mesh properly requires rather precise work, and the clamp arrangement for the cases would be a problem. I found a source for the bolt. Lowes carries class five bolts in UNF threads and they have a two inch bolt with threads just on the end. The plating seems to be zinc rather than cadmium (like the AN bolt) and takes solder better.

I appreciate you sharing the plans with us. I hope to run it in the next several days, and I'll post the results.

Name:	Sq47306.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	71029  
Old 10-29-2003, 09:54 PM
ajcoholic

SWEET!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:13 PM
bsindel

Lou,

Lookin good. When you run it are you gonna try some different size props to see what that baby's range is? Do you have plans for this to go in an airplane, or is it just gonna be a hangar queen? Great work.

Bill Sindel
Old 10-29-2003, 11:20 PM
LouW

After I run it, the next step is a throttle. During this period, I've made a throttle sleeve for another cox that I haven't run yet. If it works OK, I'll make two for the twin and gang them together. Right now it's a bench run project, but if it proves satisfactory I have a small "Miss America" that now has a OS Max 10 that I might put it in for some flight tests.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:25 AM
DICKEYBIRD

In the immortal words of Yogi Bear: "Bee-you-tee-ful, hay-hay-hee!" You guys are making me drool.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:34 PM
cappio777

This might be a stupid question but are cox engines ported to perform better rotating in one direction? If so....then this system would make the engines sping backward. Could a reverse pitch prop be used rotating in the oposite direction so the engines spin properly? [&o]
Old 10-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Cox REED valve engines will run in either direction with no problems.

LAter,
Tim
Old 10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
LouW

I tried the single with the throttle sleeve this afternoon. I was disappointed with the results. It quieted the engine down and reduced the rpm a little but was far from an effective throttle action. I'll play with it a little more, but if I can't get some reasonable throttle action I may not put the twin in an R/C flying machine. It might still make a novel control line powerplant.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:45 PM
ajcoholic

Lou, usually if the fit of a throttle sleeve isnt close enough (I have no idea how your home made one is) somewher ein the order of a few thou at the MOST it will not throttle down, just act as a muffler.

If you lathe yourself one from solid (or pipe with a thicker wall) you can get an extremely close fit and try again. Just a thought...

AJC
Old 10-31-2003, 08:58 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi Lou, I've been working with throttle sleeves extensively for the past few years and like Andrew says, you MUST have a tight fitting sleeve. My best ones had to be fitted in with some Simichrome polish and will idle down to slightly below 5000 rpm. I don't make my own (yet) but have been having very good luck with the Ace and Cox brand throttle sleeves. Unfortunatley, Ace no longer sells theirs and I think Darrin Albert has the last of the Cox brand.[]

With no free-porting, reduced compression and a smaller venturi ID, a Tee Dee or reedie will become a great little sport 1/2A engine.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:50 PM
LouW

I ran the twin this morning. I used ajcoholic's procedure to set it up. I removed one head and started it on a single cylinder and adjusted the mixture for that cylinder. Since the engines are identical, I set the other engine's needle valve the same, and reinstalled the head. I only had a single lead to heat the glow plug so I started the engine on the first cylinder then moved the lead to the other head. There was no mistaking when the other cylinder was lit. I made some fine adjustments of both needle valves to peak the engine. I measured 8,800 rpm using a 8-4 propeller. The engine ran quite smooth.

I ran a full tank of fuel and made several starts. After running the engine I examined it for condition. It seemed to be none the worse for the run.

What now? The engine weighs half again more than my OS Max 10 and turns the same propeller about 2000 less rpm. It has no throttle and requires more complex adjustment. The shaft attachment doesn't appear to be as crash resistant. I believe the propeller shaft could be bent in a hard landing that struck the prop. It has been a facinating project and I'm sure I'll run the engine from time to time, but It this point I'm not ready to install it in an airplane where its only advantage would be the novelty.

I have included a photo of the engine in action.

Name:	Cz80006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	71604  
Old 11-01-2003, 01:03 PM
ajcoholic

Yes, the neat factor is the most appealing thing but you made it and it runs great! So what next...?

AJC
Old 11-01-2003, 01:16 PM
cappio777

Lets make one with 4 cylinders!!!!!!! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-01-2003, 07:53 PM
LouW

I'm thinking maybe I'll use the same engines and try mounting them back to back to make an alternate firing in line twin. The shaft could be run underneath and be gear driven. some of the same pieces could be used, such as the propeller drive fitting, the bearings and engine gears. It would take an additional set of gears for the shaft. It might not be much heavier, but would have less frontal area. As an alternate, I have a pair of OS10's which have throttles. Mounted back to back the existing beam mounts could be used. As a simpler approach, a single cylinder engine geared down to swing a larger propeller might offer some advantage. Back to the sketch pad.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
ajcoholic

Now you're talking... anything that has to do with home-made stuff is cool

I have tried gear drives with a single cylinder. You would be surprised how much prop a small engine can turn when geared down. There was a gear drive made by either Bob Peck or Davis Diesel (cant remember right now) for the Peewee 020. I had one I picked up a number of years back. ALso, OS and Webra sold geared-drive .61's that were the engine of choice for 1/4 scale airplanes before the large gasoline engine (like the early Quadra's) took over, and a .91 glow engine was HUGE.

I have a pair of Cox Medallian .15 cylinder/pistons that I bought last year in Toledo. I also have a reed valve/intake assembly from a Cox SPortsman 15. I am hoping to machine a "true" twin (with a machined crankcase, and duble throw crank) with reed valve induction, ala the 1960's "Swift" twins and 4 bangers (for you guys who dont know what a Swift is, they are a rare engine(s), that used Cox 09 and 15 cylinders, that came in opposed twin and 4 cylinder versions and were basically what I have planned to make).

If you boys are wanting me to take photos and start a thread here on how I do it, I will certainly do that.

I am also interested in seeing any of your work. This kind of stuff (especially in the smaller sizes) REALLY gets my blood pumping!!!

AJC
Old 11-02-2003, 06:06 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. Imagine a gear linked .050 made from 5 010`s...... THAT would be 1/2A!!

J.M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.