Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Guillows Series 500...Is R/C possible?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Guillows Series 500...Is R/C possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Guillows Series 500...Is R/C possible?

An old buddy of mine regularly flies his 500 series P-40 R/C. His is indeed electric with a GWS DD 13MM motor and a 3/2 prop. 2 cell 250 lipo and GWS RX and servos.

There is no reason it cannot be done with an .010 or an .020. The radio gear cost is quite modest if you pic and choose a little. I suggest a Berg 4L Rx (GWS is not the best) and BMS 303 4.4 gram coreless motor servos. Two of those and the RX and crystal are around 72 bucks.

Battery options are either very small NiMH cells or Nicad cells, or you might consider a small 2 cell lipo and a electric motor ESC and simply use the ESC for the BEC battery power supply to the RX.

It is a good flying little model, but not for the faint of heart..
Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
kelloggair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yay they can be rc i am in the building process of the wing and then i will convert and cover. and just so everyone know im 15 and probly wont fly it much untill im experionced cause from what was said above its not for the faint of heart. o and a building tip for flat pieces use heavy weights and sandwhich them to keep them from warping ive build a peck polymers p51 and its not covered yet and i am alomost done with my p-40
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Max_Power

I'm looking forward to seeing some electronics come about that split the difference between the plantraco/tiny actuator size stuff and todays "Micro" rc. The Thought of being able to have one of these as a frontyard cruiser some day excites me(even if its electric), although I think we'd still need a little less "Guillow-wood" to get the weight right for the light loaded type flight I'm envisioning. There is a "Rufe" kit http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK588&P=WR waiting on my top shelf for that day...Wonder I'f I can "Bladder" the floats and fill them with helium to reduce wing loading? ...On a side note for those interested in building some Guillow's models, Hobby Lobby(The local craft store chain one) carries them, and most weeks has a 40% off any one item coupon on their website...One week I printed several, cruised around to the 4 stores in my town and picked up all the "laser cut WW1 series" models for a steal....Anyone have any video of one of these flying R/C? I'd love to see how "Not for the faint of heart" they really end up being. Todd
Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Frontyard cruisers are allready here. Some local guys are flying a little 12 inch span "lite stik" style of model that uses a highly cambered depron sheet wing and there's no doubt that you could do a whole flight in a large living room let alone a front yard. The highly cambered airfoil is the key. Lots of lift and lots of drag to slow it down.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
kelloggair

i think that i found the electronics for my plane heres the plane that i want with the electronics https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=9554 heres the electronics remember all i need is the micro servos reciever speed control and motor not radio this is an example ill probly get it elsewhere https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/ser...RTN=4722.261.2
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Max_Power

You are all evil,evil men And I have been informed I should stop reading these forums so much!! ..All the time thinking this concept over in my head I almost forgot that 2 feet behind my RCU perusing outpost in my table Is the perfect victim....It was built and about at the covering stage...I think I'm gonna shear web the wings a bit as I built stock spars for FF. But I'm gonna try to sneak my dremel in where I can ...and possibly wondering about trying to go the plantraco route If I think I can pull it off as far as weight, and find a way to use my normal transmitter. If thats not possible I guess itll get some tiny bluebirds for 3 channels worth . This model has a 17 1/4 inch span, and a reasonable wing as far as a guillow...of course that's always misleading in appearance until its covered. But I think the Skyraider will be a cool subject I Love "Tanks", And the A-1H is definitely a HOSS. I went to the Lone Star Flight Museum recently where they have the version you could fill the belly with 12 of your buddies"I wish they woulda let me see the inside!" But this version is awesome too!!! I think I'll call her "Sandy" Keep posting guys...I wanna flagrantly and deliberately absorb your creative ideas, And use them to my benefit!!lol [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	880886  
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
BMatthews

You'll need to add a second spar before you can web the two together. It's pretty easy though. Snap and glue some fine tooth hacksaw blades together to make a slotting saw or "file" and use that to make the spar slots on the bottom of the wing. For glow or electric I'd also double up on the fuselage stringers for a nicer look. You'll also need to redo the tail surfaces to split off the controls.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Max_Power

right, thats all easy enough, the tail surfaces will both be easy to split and reinforce while only altering the size/area slightly. I'm actually wanting to try just addind the webs at a angle from bottom spar, to top spar..ther is 2 spars, they just dont line up top to bottom. I had also thought of simply letting the Sheer web itself form the "Top Spar" by simply adding sheet peices between the ribs vertically on top of the lower spar. Or just filing a groove and adding a top spar with no webbing. Honestly I think If I end up with a plantraco setup, or light actuators on rudder/elevator instead of going "Servo" that I'd have difficulty breaking it as is... These look nice.. http://www.skyhooks.ca/Servos.htm#LW1 I'm honestly thinking the tail motor and gearbox/blade from a hummingbird or similar micro heli would pull it.... I don't think 4-5 Oz. AUW is unreasonable with these types of components and the size battery that will amply power them. Am I crazy??? I know its not glow...and I would LOVE it to be...But I'd like to get a good flyer first...then maybe worry about getting a .010 on it. I think I say a post somewhere of a dumas Tiger moth flying 3 channel electric at 2.5 Oz AUW?? Todd
Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM
BMatthews

If you're looking at electric then check out the 9 gram micro brushless at unitedhobby.com . I've got two of them coming in but they haven't arrived yet but the specs look good for this sort of model up to around perhaps 30 inch span. At least those are set up to run a prop for power rather than just a tail rotor.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
TakingFlight96

I'm building a Guillows Curtisss P-40 Warhawk. Right now I'm at the point of adding dyhedral, Now, I'm intrested in converting to RC (16 1/2 inch wingspan) how much dyhedral do I need ? Thanks.

BMatthews,

Would the motor you mentioned work in an 16 1/2 wingspan model ?

-- TakingFlight96
Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
F-15 Flameout

Hello,

On the P-40 did you get the cowl to fit over the nose? It seems to be to small to even go over the formers.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM
magwie

Hello All,

I know this thread is a little old ... but ... any updates ?

I'm building a 500 series P-40 for electric, using the "guts" out of a crashed E-Flight "Carbon Cub" and am looking for ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Name:	Micro Cub Doner Parts 2.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	2011222   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 P-40 Kit.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	2011223   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 P-40 Fuselage.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	2011224   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 P-40 Fuselage Electronics.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	2011225   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 P-40 Wing Dihedral.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	2011226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Cub Doner Parts 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	793.6 KB
ID:	2011227  
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about Herr Engineering's small stuff. There are a few small ones that get set up for R/C very successfully and their kits are well made.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:07 PM
magwie

Build update. Starting to look like a P-40

Weight so far, 2.3 oz

I've solved some of the problems mentioned above.

Please follow the build at ...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-micro-rc.html

Thanks.

Name:	Weight so far.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	2017774  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:19 AM
BMatthews

I'll be watching keenly for a flight report.

Even in the time since 2003 when this thread started out we've seen a huge movement towards small and light ARF models and gear. The weight warnings I wrote about back then are largely able to be beaten now with rigs from the small ARF models. So it'll be interesting to see how this works out.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM
domer1234

That so hard to create some plane. you must have time and money also inspiration to build it. Hope you success at soon.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This guy's first R/C aircraft was a West Wings Spitfire Mk.22/24... (25" span, or so)

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/ar...re-to-r-c/2282