Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Printing Tiled Plans - Free Program

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Printing Tiled Plans - Free Program

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:09 AM
nightflyer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans

Hey, I got it to work, apparently the problem was with my web browser.
Thanks
Pat
Old 03-26-2004, 12:00 AM
b35853
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans - Free Program

Great program, work out a few of the
bugs and make it more user friendlier.
Fix it to work on DXF and I'll pay
serious money for the program.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Making it work with dxf wouldn't be a fix, it would be an enhancement.

I hear ya though, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:42 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans - Free Program

ORIGINAL: b35853

Fix it to work on DXF .....
But there's already some free CAD's and at least a couple of DXF view/printer programs out there that do this. Ya gots ta remember that DXF isn't a graphic format. It's a set of coordinates that describe how a program re-draws the original drawing. And since you can load it into a CAD program you can rescale it with very little effort to whatever you want. Sorry but I don't see this as a problem at all.

The image graphics that the Tile Print program works with has always been the classic problem rather than DXF files.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Bipe Flyer

Not to mention the fact that an OCX, DLL or SDK would have to be pruchased and/or licensed in order to add DXF functionality which would mean I would have to charge a reasonable fee to cover costs. You can always copy and paste.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:02 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

....You can always copy and paste.
REALLY? From a CAD file viewer to the TilePrint? I'll have to try that.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Bipe Flyer

You should be able to copy from any vector (CAD) program and paste into a raster program like paint, photoshop or tileprint. I'm not sure whether the source program or Windows determines what resolution the resulting raster image is, but with some programs it's not bad and with others it's unusable.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Bipe Flyer

Ok, I've been playing with OLE a little and I've figured something pretty cool. I can select a document and then link to whatever is a reader for that file type and pull the image from the host application. In the case of autocad it pulls in an image of the viewing window, but with Turbocad it pulls in the entire document at high resolution.

The really neat thing is that I should be able to read any file on the system as long as there is a registered reader. I just tried a Photoshop PSD file and even an Excel spreadsheet and they worked. I tried it with a PDF and all I got was a Acrobat icon, so I guess Acrobat doesn't support OLE graphics, but the copy and paste method works well with Acrobat.

So, while I can't read a dxf file natively, I can pull the data into tileprint providing there is an application installed on the machine that supports OLE and can read dxf files.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Bipe Flyer

I just found an open source project that I can use to enhance TilePrint. With this I will be able to add support for reading and saving many raster formats including Kodak PhotoCD, Targa, PSD and TIFF. There are many other formats that I can add including some older ones like Commodore 64 Koala, and Amiga IFF.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:07 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hoo-ahhh! Man, my old Amiga 2000 still works! It even has a 20 MB hard drive!
Old 03-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Bipe Flyer

I miss my Amiga 500. It had a huge 75 Meg IDE drive and a 68010 processor. I upgraded the ram to 1 Meg by piggybacking ram chips. There must have been over 500 solder connections!

At least I still have my Vic 20 and beloved Commodore 64 .

I still remember the commercial back when I wanted one soooooo bad. "You can write with it, create with it, telecommunicate with it, your Commodore siiiiiixty four."
Old 03-27-2004, 07:38 AM
DICKEYBIRD

I knew NOTHING about 'puters when I bought my A2000; I bought it from a discount outlet in N.Y. that catered to amateur video geeks (me) and the guy on the phone steered me to the 2000 with an extra 8 megs of RAM and a SuperGen Genlock. For years, it didn't even have a hard drive, had to load EVERYTHING from floppies! It was years later that I finally got a used 20 meg SCSI drive for it. It all still works except for the genlock, dangit....can't find anyone to fix it! []
Old 03-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Bipe Flyer

Try these links to e B a y

http://*******.com/5cj6

http://*******.com/5cj7

You could also try to find a used Video Toaster.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Bipe Flyer

Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans TIFF, DXF & DWG!

I hope I don't hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but I managed to get DXF and DWG reading to work!

As an added bonus TilePrint will also serve as a pretty slick vector to raster converter, which means you can save a dxf as a bitmap, tiff, jpeg etc. In my testing I've been able to convert to raster files at up to 7 megapixels.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I will have to start charging a small fee to cover some of my costs, but it will be worth it.

I've also added a few things like a hand tool for scrolling, fit width, fit screen and mousewheel zooming.

I need to clean up a bunch of stuff, add some more error checking and do up a help file, but I hope to have the new version ready for downloading soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:00 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans TIFF, DXF & DWG!

Sign me up Bipe! Fabulous application,
Let us know when it's ready to rock.
Dave
Old 04-25-2004, 04:36 AM
Bipe Flyer

Default RE: Printing Tiled Plans - Tile Print 2!

It has been a lot of work, but the new version of Tile Print is finally ready for downloading and evaluation.

The new version includes better scrolling, enhanced zooming, Windows XP GUI compatibilty as well as support for mousehweel, DXF, TIFF, Targa, Jpeg, vector to raster conversion, ole for opening unknown file types, a custom image type for BlackFlight plans and more.

When importing dxf files you will be prompted for a resolution. I've found that 3000 X 3000 or less works best. You will be limited by your computer's memory and processing power as to what the maximum resolution you will be able to work with.

You can download it from the following link.

http://www.blackflight.com/tileprint
Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 AM
RED DEVIL 300S

HELLO BYPE FLYER

IS THRE ANNY CHANCE TO GET A FREE VERSION OF YOUR PROGRAM?

RED DEVIL 300S
Old 04-26-2004, 05:13 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Red Devil, If you think $12 is too much for that application, well, I wish you were in charge of pricing software at Microsoft or Adobe. I'd love a $5 copy of Photoshop or pay $9.99 for Windows XP Pro.
As for me, I think it is a bargain. As soon as I sell another item on e-bay and there is $$$ in my PayPal account, I'm paying for mine.
I needed a dxf to jpeg converter anyway.
And the "trial" version seems to print just fine.
Nice work Bipe, the addition of tiff files makes me very happy!
Now can I put a link on my site to yours?

fritzke
Old 04-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Bipe Flyer

Dave,

I'm glad you like the tiff file support. Thanks for the excellent suggestion in the first place. It has been the encouragement of you and others that has enabled me to add the new features.

By all means, please do add a link and I'll reciprocate.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Bipe Flyer

I added a bunch of new features.

Print Preview
Save Tiles - This option allows you to save the image as a series of tiles based on the printer page size in Print Setup.
The ability to print a single page or a range of pages.
Copy - You can now highlight an area of the image using the crop tool and copy it to the clipboard.
Cropping - If you want to print a specific area of the image you can highlight it with the crop tool and then copy and paste it and Tile Print will retain the correct scaling.
Fit to Page - By selecting this option from the Edit menu Tile Print will automatically scale the image to fit on a single page.
Improved printer dialogues.
XP style toolbar buttons

I wont post anymore about this program unless somebody asks because I don't want it to look like I'm using the forum for advertising.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

A lot of people have been asking for PDF support, so I figured I should post an update here. With the latest version of Tile Print you can now open a PDF in Adobe Reader, zoom to the size you want and then click the PDF button in Tile Print and it will pull the page from Adobe Reader.

There is also a new screen where you can load airfoils from DAT or COR files, generate new NACA airfoils and then save them as s DAT or DXF.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a nice piece of software -- given the large number of plans available in PDF format, TilePrint makes printing and scaling a very simple exercise. If you don't have or use CAD software, TilePrint is by far the easiest way to a finished planset. The airfoil plotting is a plum in the pudding.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice upgrade Bipe Flyer, Now one question? How do I get the Way Cool box Shown on your website?

Robert
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Bipe Flyer

Do you mean the virtual software box? Someone did it for me in exchange for a copy of Tile Print. I don't know what software he used, but I can send you his email.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just kidding Bipe Flyer. Though it would be neat to have a nice box to keep my hard copy in.

I figured there was never a real box made and the Virtual box you have is very nice, It lends a professional touch to the web page!

Just think though... knowing there was a box that looked like that one sitting on my shelf next to my other software boxes I have. Wouldn't that be cool?

I could always just copy your logos off your web page and print them up and glue the paper to an old software box.

That gives me an idea!!! What if you were to design a jewel box label that we could download?

Robert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.