Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

SIG's Herr 1/2-A Little Something Extra....Any comments?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

SIG's Herr 1/2-A Little Something Extra....Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SIG's Herr 1/2-A Little Something Extra....Any comments?

25 years ago I started out with .25 to .40 size planes and worked my way up to giant scale, only to find they're a pain to store and a bit boring to fly compared to smaller planes. So, I've decided to sell most of my giants and start back into smaller birds. My search started with two requirements; ARF, and Portable while assembled.

On the SIG website I chanced to find this Herr 1/2-A Little Something Extra ARF in a Turquoise color, and it seems perfect for my needs and really sharp-looking to boot. Now, Since the start of time anything SIG has put out has flown awesome, so I'm pretty certain this is not an issue, but I'd sure like to see if anybody else has this model and is flying it, and what their impressions are.

Also, I've never flown anything below a .15-size plane before, and I don't know the engines that rule in this area. My impression from reading is that Norvel has a strong .74-size engine. I should mention that I typically step up a bit in the engine sizes on my planes (I don't like boring planes), and was wondering if a .15-size engine would be too much for this plane. It really doesn't appear to be all that much smaller than the regular SIG Something Extra, which takes a .46 engine.

Okay, I'll let you guys take the stand now, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Jimbo
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG's Herr 1/2-A Little Something Extra....Any comments?

I think this thread has come up 3 or 4 times in the past few weeks,,and I think it was brought up that the plane isnt actually on the market yet,,It is a cool looking model but I think it said the .074 would be a lively engine for it...hope this helps, or you could do a search for the other threads and read them too.....Rog
Old 04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

See next post, it duplicated for some reason so I wiped this one clean.

Jimbo
Old 04-16-2005, 07:12 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

SIG's Herr Little Something Extra ARF has been released, and I got mine...in Turquoise, of course. It's not on white, it's on an off-white, and it's a stunning look. This is a set of colors you don't see a lot, but they always seem to look awesome. The workmanship on this plane is as good as that Sun Dancer ARF I just got from SIG. So far, these folks are batting 1000 with me on quality of ARFs. And I'm not even an ARF kind of guy, so that's saying something. I bought the Norvel .074 R/C BigMig they recommended with it and 5 of the small Hitec servos they recommended, the HS-55 Feather, one short Y extension, and a switch. I don't really usually use Hitec servos (they've broken too many times during hard flying), but they say these are great for this plane. So, I got them. I'll get it into the air as soon as I can, and let you know how it goes. so far, couldn't be more pleased. The instructions start out a bit difficult unless the parts are in your hands, but all in all it looks to be a really straight-forward assembly. Cute little wheelpants too, and they have a really good paint job on them as well! The only thing I usually don't buy at my hobby shop are my batteries, I buy them at Radical R/C.com. Once I have that, I should be ready to put her all together from start to finish. I'll have to get some photos ready. This plane is CUTE. And I'm man enough to fly a plane this cute!

Jim Surra
Old 04-16-2005, 08:21 PM
rrragmanliam

HI Jim,

What's the estimated AUW? The Norvel .074 will pull a 20 oz plane straight up. A 7x3 is about the best prop for the engine. APC makes a 7x2 that also works well. Do yourself a favor and break in the engine off the plane. Use a chunked outt 2x4 if you don't have a small enough test stand. The Norvels run absolutly flawless and are very user friendly if WELL broken in. There are many threads and opinions on Norvel break in. The MFG suggested ones have worked for me. Once you start the thing the first time I let it run rich for about 30 seconds, then lean it out to just a touch under max rpm ( don't go too lean) and let it run there for about 60- 90 seconds. Then open the needle and let it run rich for 30 seconds or so to cool thing down and repeat the cycle. I use a 4oz tank for break in. I will keep cycling the engine intill the tank is about empty, then shut the engine down during the rich cycle. Then I let the engine COMPLETELY cool down 10 to 15 min and do it all over again. Usualy after 3 - 5 tanks of this routine you will have a engine with an awsome idle, great transition to WOT and lots of power. I usualy use low nitro 10% for break in but fly with 25%-30% nitro. BE sure to use fuel with at least 20% oil and that at least some if not all the oil is castor. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Lot's of guys in this form including me just add castor to there favorite off the shelf fuel and it works fine. Sory if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you all ready know, and good luck with the plane.

Darren
Old 04-16-2005, 08:43 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

rrragmanliam,
This is my very first Norvel, so ALL of the information you gave me is MUCH appreciated, and it doesn't seem like an excessive amount of work to make sure that an engine runs well from the start. I'll print it off and keep it with the engine and take it through the paces just as you laid out. I'm missing a couple of your abbreviations, sorry, what does AUW stand for? Probably simple, but I'm tired and it's been a long day. I'd love to tell you what the estimated AUW is, but I don't know what that means! Also, WOT, I don't know that one either. Again, thanks for the tips on making sure I have a happy Norvel .074, I appreciate the heads-up for my first one, I hear they're pretty good engines. After buying a 3.2 Brison gasser, the price for the Norvel .074 was sure no problem! I'm selling my giants and getting into some smaller planes from here on out, so I'm going to get to know the Norvels pretty well before long.

Jim Surra
Old 04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
rrragmanliam

Hi Jim, Yea I'll bet all this small stuff seems cheap compaired to your old monsters. Sorry for the abbreviations.

AUW- All Up Weight

WOT - Wide Open Throttle

I just looked at the plane on Herr's web sight. The Norvel .074 will have plenty of power for that good looking little guy. The Norvel .074 has the same power as most .10 size engines. If you were to put a .15 in it you would also be adding a substantial amount of weight. I think the plane will fly best with the .074. Another point on the break in, mount a prop on the engine, remove the head ( a wrench for a cox .049 engine works perfectly) put some oil (after run, 3 in 1, castor, whatever you have) in the cylinder and turn the moter over by hand a couple of hundred times. These engines are extreemly tight with the piston at top dead center when new. This is normal so don't think you got a bum engine. This initial oil in the cylinder hand flipping process loosenes the engine up a bit and makes the initial starting alot easier. I use my small starter and actualy put a couple of thousand strokes on my Norvels before I even attempt the first start.
If you run into problems don't hesitate to post your questions and concerns in this forum. There are a ton of guys in here running these things that know alot more than me and are always willing to help.

Darren
Old 04-17-2005, 06:59 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Darren,

Yep, the costs on the small planes are definitely a lot less for setting up a plane. I figure this plane will be set up for under 400 bucks with all the components brand new, including the micro receiver. I mean, just a step up to something like my HogBipe and that Saito .91 alone probably cost me about 275.00 when I bought it. The greatest part of it all comes down to this; I sell a giant for a fair sales price, and I have enough money from that to buy and set up a small plane. No dipping into the family budget, no having to chance my wife's wrath. I keep my hobby money in my hobby, as intended.

AUW....All Up Weight...According to the SIG website, this thing should have a flying weight of 22 to 23 ounces. They're showing a high weight of 22 ounces, and I've used almost exactly what they recommended for accessories and motor. I did go onto Radicalrc.com and find a NIMH battery with 720 mah rather than the 270 mah NiCad they show in the manual, but this 720 mah pack only weighs 1.82 ounces compared to the 1.55 ounces for the 270 mah NiCad they're using. I figured that for .27 ounce, I could not go wrong with 3 times the power! I picked up a micro-on/off power switch at Radical as well, the thing is dang near microscopic! So I think I've done everything that I can do to keep the weight low. I guess the wild card is what the built weight was from the factory. I'm still getting used to having a plane that doesn't really weigh anything.

Thanks for the further tips on breaking that Norvel .074 in. It all seems to be pretty much common sense engine stuff for very small engines, with a little extra care for this particular engine due to it's high tolerances. Sounds like some extra care at this stage will mean a strong engine and a lot of extra engine life in the long run. I'm also known for running my engines rich for a while, I'm never in that much of a hurry to see what the outside of the envelope performance for an engine is. My engines are always still running strong after my buddies have thrown theirs away, no matter what the brand. Magnums love to be run rich, and I never have any trouble with mine, but I know a lot of guys cuss at theirs because they run them too lean, and Magnums don't fare well under those conditions. All of my Magnums are still running perfectly after ten years, just like new. You seem to pay attention to what your Norvels like, and I'm betting your engines respond well to that and enjoy a good long life from it. Same thing here, and I'll follow your advice with my new Norvel .074. The really small planes are new to me and I'm sure I have plenty to learn about them. As with every change of direction I've taken in R/C, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the learning process and have some real fun.

Many years ago, when I started with little models like a Piece-O'Cake and similar birds, I always wanted something bigger, and even though I stayed with smaller models for a while, I finally stepped up in size and eventually all the way to giants. It was what I wanted, but the results were mixed for me. Crowds LOVE the giants, but giants are just as one would think they are. Slow and predictable, even the fastest and nimblest of them. But as a pilot, I was disappointed by the lack of challenge, and I missed the smaller planes, even as I continued to fill my hangar with giants. I could tell I was not enjoying the giants as I thought I would have, and I could feel a change coming. I've come to realize that what other people think is cool is not necessarily my definition of cool or fun. Why should I fly something just because others think it's cool, when I'm getting no joy from flying it?

I like smaller planes, I like how they can respond so nimbly and really be all over the sky at once. The few smaller planes I kept are getting a little ragged, so I'm happy that I'll be filling out the ranks again with the kind of models I'm going to really love flying. I'll leave the crowd-pleasing giants to the other guys who hate adrenalin. he-he-he. (Naw, THAT wasn't a troll!)

Jim Surra
Old 04-17-2005, 07:48 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jimbo,
For the record, I just found this thread. I'd be really greatful if you'd keep us appraised of what you find, what you like and what you don't like about the Herr Extra. I'm planning on getting one myself.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-17-2005, 03:31 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Bob,
I'll tell you right now, if you'd bought a model like this, built to this stage by somebody else, looking as beautiful as the little Extra does, you'd feel very sure that you just got yourself a bargain for not much over 100 dollars. I knew how much it was when I ordered it, but it was a while coming and when it came in I bought over 300 bucks worth of stuff at the hobby store for several planes I'm buying for, and it was in the mix so I'm not sure exactly how much it was.

Excellent hardware, I'm new to the way the hardware is in these 1/2A birds, but SIG was very comprehensive, most everything was there. I needed 5 mini-servos (inexpensive!), a receiver, an engine, a battery and switch, and some epoxy and CA glue. I think that was all it needed. The wheelpants were first-rate yet light, the wheels were foamies, but very slim and light so they'd fit the wheelpants. The steerable rear wheel is about as big around as a pencil! The manual is pretty straight-forward, but you need the box open and the parts to look at for the first couple steps, then it's easy. I'm really looking forward to the assembly of this one.

I probably won't have the time to post photos, but I'll try to at least get some of the finished model up here.

Jim
Old 04-17-2005, 07:58 PM
N1EDM

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply... For whatever reason, I had it in my mind that only four servos are required. You say that you're using five. OK, I had a Futaba 3108 (to start things off). I was thinking about getting some FMA micros and one of their micro receivers, but you got the HS-55's. I'll look into RadicalRC. I don't think I've ever been there...

Did the Extra's instructions 'suggest' using the HS-55's or did you just pick them? I would prefer that my servos just drop in without having to do any creative carpentry.

I have a Norvel .074 as well. I just broke it in per the mfr's directions, and it's been a screamer. I was a little curious about the part where they tell you to let the oil soak on the piston for several hours (was it 24 hours, or overnight??) and then turn the engine over backwards. I've never come across that before. I wonder what their rationale was. But, as I said, I broke it in per directions and it's been fine.

By the way, what did you wind up getting for a receiver?

Keep us posted. I have another project going right now, but that Herr will be my next one. Going to head up to Radical RC after I post this, to have a look around.

Bob
Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some photos.

Retail is $149.95. Tower lists them at $99.99.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79075.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	259479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46859.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	259480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60062.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	259481  
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

They suggest the 55's, and they just drop right in.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

The manual shows the Hitec HS-55 feathers, You need 5 because the ailerons are separately powered. I bought them from my hobby dealer. I get my batteries from Radical RC and I got a switch from Radical RC. I didn't find Radical's servo prices to be that good, and besides I usually buy everything besides my batteries from my local hobby dealer, I try to stay as loyal as possible so he's there when I really need him. (I buy my batteries from Radical because they are always brand new and fresh, so I get max life from them without shelftime added in.) My local hobby store guy is fairly competitive with Tower, whenever he can be, and on the rare occasion when he can't match or beat I don't have a problem with it. Yes, I checked and I got mine for $99.00 too from my local hobby store.

I've never been able to beat the good deals from Radical, and they offered every kind of battery and pack you can think of. I've gotten batteries and built my own packs, and I've bought their packs, good (fresh) product all around, good prices and great shipping rates.

My receiver is the only item left on my list, and I'm ready to start checking them out now. I'd prefer a JR receiver because I fly with JR radios, but I'm new to the 1/2A stuff and have to learn what's available for tiny size-and-weight oriented stuff.

Jim
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee Bee Jimbo,

I use JR too. In a plane like this I prefer to use a good full range receiver and not a cheap park flyer RX like a GWS. I save those for smaller electrics. The JR R700 is a tiny full range, 7 channel RX and the JR R770 is a PCM version. The Hitec 555 or Electron are good small receivers. If you want to save a little more weight, the Berg receivers are very good and the Sombra Labs Shadow 1, if you can find one, is a very good dual conversion synthesized RX. The Shadow 1 is discontinued, but the Shadow 2 and Shadow 3 are due out this summer.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:10 PM
GBR2

Try the JR 610UL. Very light weight, 6 channel receiver. Chief Aircraft has them on sale this month for $60 (need the ad # from the email list they can send you). Still need a crystal though.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
N1EDM

Larry, thanks for the photos... They describe a lot...

Jim, I had checked the iflyherr.com website and they said 4 servos, that's why I asked the question.

I fly Futaba, so I was thinking about the Polks Hobby Seeker 6 Micro receiver so that I can use it with either of my tx's and not have to change a crystal.

I know that you're both anxious to get that thing into the air and not spend a lot of time showing us how you build it, but any comments that you have would be appreciated, if you have the time.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Bipe Flyer, I prefer to use JR receivers with my planes, I went to JR from Futaba when I was losing planes from hits and stuff, and I've had great luck now for many years with the JR. I'll stay with what works. However, I don't need a big receiver for this, and 6 channels would be plenty for it, so I'll probably check out that JR61OUL that GBR2 suggested. Bob, my model takes 5 servos, the ailerons each get one, two for both, the elevator gets one, the rudder gets one, and the throttle gets one.

Jim
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an R610, but it wouldn't range check more than about 10 feet, so I replaced it with an R700. Apparently this was common with the early R610 RXs, but the problem has been fixed now.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Ten feet is WAY too short! I'd need at LEAST 20......

I hope that's fixed!

Jim
Old 04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
GBR2

That was the OLD, OLD 610. The 610UL has no such range problems and it only weights 7g (.25oz)
Old 04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Well, then, unless there's something JR puts out that is 4-channel and as small as that and cheaper, the 610UL sounds like a winner. I've got a call into my hobby store guy now about it, and I'm hoping to have a little visit to the hobby store this weekend. I'm right in the middle of some MAJOR concentrated building improvements at my business this week, running 12-hour days through the week and there's a chance that it may go through the weekend, so the Little Extra just taunts me, thumbing its nose (can a plane DO that?) as I walk by, unable to stop and play for a while with it.... Ergh...

Jim
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 PM
ghost123uk

Holy thread revival = I have a un-opened one of these for sale. See Ebay item number 222472935132