Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Here are a couple of typical views of quick, cheap, easy, down and dirty, [did I miss an adjective?] type ways to throw together a wing that will work for 1/2A RC COMBAT. 36 inches of span will give some streamer pickin' span, but a 48" span plane could be built with just a tiny bit more effort to test the theory that more span equals more streamers picked off. There has been some talk about putting on some kind of 1/2A SHOOT OUT around here sometime in JUNE, the "powers that be" need to come to a consensus opinion about when that date will be, shortly. Maybe we will throw in a monkey wrench and make it so that the same plane that flew combat also has to be the one that is flown in the PYLON race, and for good measure the one that flies through the obstacle course, and can pop the most balloons in the least amount of time? That sounds more like a PENTATHALON.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45875.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	274978  
Old 05-22-2005, 05:53 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Thats not your best art work man,,but since your not working, maybe you should build a dozen or so and put them up on the bay for sale?..pentathalon? I finished the War Boar except for pushrods ,,been a bad weekend for me work/sleep wise....I'll get her done and flown soon,,I missed BobHH's whole flying because of work and sleep and it was a real nice day today down here,,kinda windy yesterday so I dont know how those antique planes held up with that...Rog
Old 05-22-2005, 06:28 PM
combatpigg

Well, it's ABSTRACT ART[8D], MAN. Work comes first, play comes second and sleep comes third. I'll get caught up on all the sleep I need once I'm dead!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down Boy! I didnt say it was bad work , just not your best,,try a cartoon again..yeah if I get 5 hours of sleep in a day,,thats a good sleep,, I was up 24 hours from friday to saturday and slept 3 hours when I finally got to bed...why do we want 1/2a combat wings again?..streamer chasers?
..Rog
Old 05-22-2005, 07:38 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Master of the Obvious![sm=lol.gif]

Is this flying wings, CP? If so, what's your method for mounting the engine?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
combatpigg

I like flying wings for combat, because they are the least amount of work to build and repair. You can hang the engine off the front with 1/4" thick wood, like a CL profile plane, or go with a box that holds your fuel and radio gear. The flying wings need about 3.5 to 4 inches from the prop to the LE [with a .049 - .061] for the CG to come out right. I like to go with 7" x 36" for a planform. Winglets that hang off the TE a stylish amount are the only yaw stabilizers that the wings need, though some might hang a fin off the TE [in the middle] with a dowel to give better stability when you catch a streamer on the wing tip. A plane like the UGLY STICK makes a good combat design too, the simpler you can keep the construction, the easier the repairs will be. The conventional plane is easier to take your eyes off of for a brief instant to see where the other planes are lurking. The flying wings need a little more concentration to fly, but they are pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Oh yes! I LIKE the idea of the same model for combat AND racing. I do wish 1/2A combat would catch on around here but hey I am NOT complaining 'cus it looks like we have four building 2-cell Li-poly electrics for towing tiny streamers.

My favorite combat models are still the 36-inch flying wings with .15s up front. D-tube construction - probably a whole lot heavier than CP's 1/2A offering. But lotsa quick-building, cheap fun. Durn good fliers too if you get the CG right. Heavy sigh.

P.S. After I left Bobhh's antique show today (nice bunch of guys, pretty (old) models). (It was nice to be in a group of people who were actually OLDER than ME.) I really and truly did get some good engine runs on the reed-valve C** engine-powered Sharkface. I am not foolin', its true.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 PM
combatpigg

Hi RAYMOND! I like the idea of small electric combat. The only combat around here is that .25 size demolition derby stuff, where the planes are so fast, nobody can tell what just happened, and when they go in, you need a shovel and a garbage bag to get the plane back to the pits. I would settle for SSC, but I think RCCA is nuts making them weigh 40 ozs. I built some 65 inchers, and they fly great, but it turns into a 40 oz pile driver when it's, "hammer time". That's just enough weight to break carburetors and cases on those poor little .15s. A great little .15 combat plane can be built with a lot less weight, and still come up with generous enough wing span to pick off streamers. I thought it was funny that in its' first year run on a trial basis that SSC had more participation than the other categories though. The only way to win people over is with successful demonstrations, that is what made .15 BRITISH DIESEL CL COMBAT so popular around here. More fun / less work.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:05 AM
scudrunner77

To the Ministry of Propaganda:

I don't know if you meant to change my mind but I like this wing idea. Looks like half the work compared to a conventional plane, and having similar planes is good too. Could you post some picts of the wings we were flying so I can get a better visual? Glad I've been procrastinating and have not cut any balsa yet.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, Chuck. When are we going to convince you that a symetrical wing is doable and can still be simple to build.....

Name:	Vt57869.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	275319  
Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 AM
combatpigg

Hi BRUCE! I've got some symetric combat wings, and they do fly well, but....they aren't quite as solid on launch and we don't always have the luxury of being able to launch [and or land] straight into the wind. The lifting airfoil has to lug that [semi damp sometimes] streamer through the tall grass to get the plane safely in the air. After doing all sorts of R&D, the lifting airfoil planes can evade better with an inside loop than a symfoil job, and believe it or not, the lifting airfoil planes can do ok [working with gravity] when doing an outside manuever. The truth is, for the style of combat that works best for us, it needs to be done fairly close in, and most guys rarely have the urge to do any outside manuevers in the heat of battle anyway. With RC COMBAT, you are keeping one eye on each plane, and it is nice sometimes to fly a rudder / elevator [trainer type] plane that is lightly built, if you want that kind of stability, you won't be giving away very much going this route, you might even score more!. Fat, draggy airfoils are what I like to keep the action more like dog fighting and less like a game of high speed"chicken", too. I flew some combat against SR77 a couple of weeks ago with one of each [lifting and sym] and the difference was hardly noticeable for the most part. The flat wing is easier to build and to check for straightness too, just need a flat table, repairs take less time to get back in allignment too, because even the engine mount is alligned flat with the bottom of the wing. Now we have to find some organic, biodegradeable streamers!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
combatpigg

HI SR77! Here are some photos of those gorgeous planes. The red one is symetric, the other one is flat bottom. The red one is the easiest to rig with the profile engine mount and radio gear stuffed into those openings in the wing. Make the engine mount long enough to place a fuel tank behind the engine. The tip fins hang off the back a goodly amount on the one plane and the other one has the central fin, it too hangs off the back to give better leverage to our yaw stabilizer. The red one is also lighter than the other one. Both are 36" span jobs. An enterprizing individual might come up with a 48"er, call it the FLYING SWORD OF DEATH[X(]!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 AM
combatpigg

HI SR77! Here are some photos of those gorgeous planes. The red one is symetric, the other one is flat bottom. The red one is the easiest to rig with the profile engine mount and radio gear stuffed into those openings in the wing. Make the engine mount long enough to place a fuel tank behind the engine. The tip fins hang off the back a goodly amount on the one plane and the other one has the central fin, it too hangs off the back to give better leverage to our yaw stabilizer. The red one is also lighter than the other one. Both are 36" span jobs. An enterprizing individual might come up with a 48"er, call it the FLYING SWORD OF DEATH[X(]!!!

Name:	Bz78180.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	275341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97566.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	275342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10470.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	275343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19309.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	275344  
Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
scudrunner77

Thanks for refreshing my memory Piggy! I like the profile engine mount. I just realized that the film I bought is red too...as if keeping track of your own wing wasn't difficult enough. I'll have to get creative.........

So a 48" wing is like bringing a bigger knife to the fight![>:]
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 AM
combatpigg

[sm=lol.gif]That's a good one! With 48", I can always say that mine is bigger than yours! The profile mount is glued to the wing after the wing is covered. I think I layed down 1/64" or 1/32" ply from the spars up to the LE, to act as a footing for the engine mount, and to give the covering in that area something to stick to. The mount is just CA'd in place and I then cut some strips of glass cloth, spray them with 3M77 and apply the cloth to supplement the glue joint. The cloth gets a thin coat of medium CA with a latex glove finger on one of my fingers to work it in. The mount is a combination of balsa and 1/4" x 1/4" maple that has the fiberglass cloth acting as the skin to tie the wood together. A mount that breaks away easily during a crash will save repair work, so just make the attachment good enough to withstand normal use. Make sure that you get your wing situated so that the mount goes on with zero thrust angle, and if you err at all, err on the side of right thrust. Don't worry about your models' color, I'm getting so old, I end up flying the other guys' plane mentally while my plane floats around aimlessly. I might end up using my UGLY STICK on you[>:]! If I beat you, then you can say that you got beat by an UGLY STICK!!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
scudrunner77

Don't worry about your models' color, I'm getting so old, I end up flying the other guys' plane mentally while my plane floats around aimlessly
If I see you doing this I won't say anything I will just offer you my transmitter...

Ok one more question.. We have been talking about a 7" cord for a conventional plane. Is that the same for the fly wings... is that LE to TE or does that include airlerons also.
AND I know you gear fits inside the red wing.. is that a 1" thick rib at the spars?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:12 AM
combatpigg

The chord and thickness is up to you. I would measure your gear and base your decision on what you come up with, plus room for padding. You have to figure on inside to inside measurements between your spars. That's why I can't directly answer the question, because it depends on which type of construction you use. It is best to draw a side view of the wing and juggle the dimensions until you come up with something that works for you. Remember that you will be notching the center ribs for the spruce servo rails, and I used 1/4" balsa for the center rib, but you could go thicker here The chord on these wings is greater than 7 ", let's see........with elevons included they come out being 10" chord. They sure do float right out of your hand, 360 sq inches.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
ptulmer

That's almost the same wing area as the Lil Streak. You're right about floating out of your hand. That much area will hold lotsa weight or plenty of streamers. You guys using reedies?

CP, I see now why you said the Ace wings might make a good combat flying wing. You could literally be ready to fly in a couple of hours. It's interesting enough that I might glue one up just to weigh it.... (there's nobody around that'll try combat with me.)
Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 PM
combatpigg

We have had great times with everything from a reedie up to AMEs and .074s, and mismatched combos. The bouts are better with identical planes, at least identical power or close to it, and the slower and lighter, the better for good dog fighting.

I think the ACE wings would be worth looking into, because if you can successfully demonstrate that an ACE flying wing combat plane can be practically thrown together for $10 and very little time, then you might generate local interest. Foam planes are very protaective of radio gear too. I might lower myself enough today to go to WALMART [I'll wear a disguise] and look for those foam thinga-majigs. After I take a good, scalding hot shower to rinse of that WORMY WALMART CRUD that I came in contact with, then it's time to throw something together with the emphasis on the word THROW! I might throw up seeing all those smiling faces on price tags being put on by those poor workers who are working for what will be the last store left standing that wont have to compete with other closed down stores to pay a half decent wage. Geez. I feel like a HYPOCRITE just going there to spend $5![] Did you know that they even give their employees FREE CLASSES on how to apply for welfare[sm=greedy.gif]?

Old 05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
ptulmer

The hobby shop down in Jax, FL. sells them.... so I feel for you.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
combatpigg

That's not too far in your MUSTANG? I've never driven that stretch, looks like 100 miles or so?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
ptulmer

Naah, I can be sitting in the Regency Square Olive Garden in about 45 minutes. The hobby shop is 'bout an hour and ten. Mostly at 80+mph.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 PM
ptulmer

You been in this area before?! It couldn't be further from your home and still be in the continental US!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
combatpigg

Well, I out proccessed from the ARMY at FT JACKSON. I spent the last week of my military carreer so juiced up, I don't even remember FT JACKSON, how I got there, or how I got home. All I remember is fighting with a clerk so I wouldn't have to turn in my field jacket[>:]!! They just scam guys to give up their stuff so they can turn around and black market it.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 PM
scudrunner77

Thanks- I'm glad I asked... I drew up a 7" rib and thought there was no way I could fit any gear in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.