Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace Simple Series F4U Corsair

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Simple Series F4U Corsair

Old 12-02-2002, 12:52 AM
darkside_floyd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Simple Series F4U Corsair

Anyone fly one of these? Just wondering how they performed. Are they hard to fly? Also what radio equip is required? I looked at the ace web page but found limited info. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-2002, 12:23 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default f4u

they fly great with a norvel .074. built one lat year, flew it at bowling green, ky., orlando, lake placid, stuart fla. so a lot of witnesses! had a slimline 4 oz tank, it would fly a LONG time! had 3 hs-81's, totally stock build. corsair blue ultracoat w/ lustercoat paint on cowl. looked great on a low flyby!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Chap
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Equiped mine with a Thunder Tiger 074, Hitec 555, three HS 80's 2 ounce fuel tank and a 270 ma battery. The plane flies well with excellent roll rate. You will not be disappointed. I like it better than my other simple planes (Me-109, P-51, AT-6 all with Norvel 061's). I covered it with Tuff Cote navy blue. I don't know if it was the color or the gull wings, but I had problems with orientation for the first few flights.
Chap
Old 12-04-2002, 02:48 AM
darkside_floyd1

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your replies!

From the kit description it didn?t say how many and what type or servo to use. I will build one over this winter, using hitec 81?s and a Norvel .074, as these sound like the best for the job. I?m not sure if I like the way that only one servo is used for the wing. It worries me with the gull wing getting push rods over to each aileron but hopefully will have no problems.

Where is a good place to find a good deal on some of this stuff? I try to go to swap meets and the local club but is their any place on the net that has exceptionally low price, especially on the radio equipment?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:07 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default corsair setup

I built mine as per plans with a flex cable aileron setup, but didn't use supplied one; cut it in half and instaled, but when I put the inner one in, it was too short, because I spaced outer apart for servo! so I got a peice of small throttle flex cable and ran it through the outer sheath. worked fine. Preferred soldered ends of cable anyhow! Used continuous covering hinge with ultracoat.
about cheap radio gear; I used a hitec micro flight pack, was about 105.00, had everything I needed except a crystal, which was another 10 bucks. attatched photo. hobby people and tower both run 81's on sale from time to time, tower has them under hobbico name as cs-12 (and cs-12 gearsets are cheaper than 81 sets). -wildfred-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39151_19598.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	24171  
Old 12-09-2002, 05:20 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

I would use 2 CS-21's for aileron controll instead of the sindle push pull system. imbed them directly into the wing-

and use them(cs-21) for elevator, and throttle. save a lot of weight.

use the JK aerotech slick mount with a .074 that would be a great plane! I suggest sheeting the wings makes it look much "cleaner"

they do fly good, but I would not suggest it for a beginner~

I have a .061 (on a mere 15% nitro) and it is just so so on power, spins, snaps, and rolls good though.
I have HS-81's and pretty much the same setup as everyone else-

LoneRanger