Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A TRIBUTE TO MY SON, CHARLES IV

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A TRIBUTE TO MY SON, CHARLES IV

Old 02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A TRIBUTE TO MY SON, CHARLES IV

CP This is so sad. Kathy and I were just talking about how difficult this must be for you and your wife. I reminded her about who "combatpigg" is (she reads the forum sometimes) and how much your perpetual enthusiasm and humor adds to the forum. From reading the other responses about how he helped his brothers in arms, and enriched their lives, it comes through crystal clear that you have been a wonderful father, and that your son was a fine man. Words just can't express how much you, your wife and your son have sacrificed for all of us in this country. I wish I lived close enough to attend the memorial service and shake your hand and raise a glass in his memory.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Big Al-RCU

CP, I am so sorry to hear the sad news. As a friend, (thru this forum), I share your grief.
Al
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CP:

This is so sad. I hope that time and good memories help you and your family to ease the pain.

Claudio
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
gforeman

As an ex grunt, let me say I appreciate those who serve our country.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Gary
Old 02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

My family and I join all of the others here in expressing our heartfelt sympathy for your terrible loss.

We also convey our gratitude to your son and those like him who have come forward in each generation and fought for the values and the people that make this great country what it is.

He is proof that no matter what we may think, each generation has the few that exceed those behind them and leave things better for all by their efforts.

I know that his buddies will keep him forever enshrined in their memories.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

CP,

Like many others here, I didn't really know what to say to provide some comfort for you and your family. As was said earlier, from being part of this community you begin to feel like you know the people here and consider them friends though you may have never met in person. I have the utmost respect for a person who selflessly puts the welfare of others before themselves and military service is the ultimate expression of that. No commitment to family and country can be stronger.

We'll keep your family in our prayers and though the words do poor justice at a time like this, I am sorry for the your loss.

Mike Sturm
Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

CP,

My sincere condolences. I too have two best friend sons and I can imagine your pain and suffering. I am very sorry for your loss and share your grief.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Chuck,
My wife and I would like to extend our condelences to your family over the loss of a hero, your son. We presently have a grandson serving in Iraq now. Our military members are the best that we have and I'm so proud of them.

Frank Hurd
Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CP,

I have two younger boys who are the light of my life, and cannot begin to fathom the grief you are experiencing. It is a good thing that you shared this with us, though it honestly brings tears to my eyes. Words fail me - please rest assured that mine and many other's hearts go out to you and your family.

Take care,

MJD
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
flying poodle

I live very close to Fort Campbell, home of the 101st airborne. Everyday I read the stories of another 3 or 4 men lost in Iraq. I read this forum every morning after I read the news, and it always seems so secure and isolated from reality of violence that a lot of the rest of the world experience. You are an inspiration to many people on this forum. From your building of 13 airplanes in less than a week, to your experimentation with breaking the sound barrier with a prop tip, you have always reinvigorating to me and my modeling efforts. If your son was able to convey the same enthusiasm for his Passions as you do, then I believe he was a GREAT MAN.

As others have said, there are no words that can ease the pain, but take solace in knowing that your son gave his life for others. Those others include me and my family, and for that I thank him. People like your son and yourself remind me that to raise my son to be the man I wish him to be, I must become the man I wish him to be. God bless you and your family.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
on pipe

Voting, free speech, freedom of religion, etc... All things we take for granted until something like this happens and reminds us how lucky we are to have such fine men protecting our way of life here in America. In some ways he will always be your
boy, but in our eyes he's a mans-man. The best of the best. You should be PROUD. Sincerely, Ross Glandt
Old 02-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Liberator

Chuck, this is a terrible ordeal to have to undergo. Please accept my most heart felt and sincere condolences at this most difficult of times. My prayers are with you and your family.

"What bravery we find in the youngest of souls. It is my hope that we can live up to this standard"

Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Sneasle

chuck,

i havent been apart of this forum for very long, but i can see you have had a wonderful influence here. I cant say i know what your feeling. I can only offer my sympathies and deepest regrets for your loss. Much of my family has been in the military, one granddad in german military, granddad inthe US army, and my dad in the airforce. it is not a path that i could personally follow. It takes a lot of personal strength, will, motivation, and a crap load of courage to put your life on the line for what you beleive in. Chuck, and all the other active and retired military personal here, please accept my thanks for everythign that you,your sons, and your other families have done for this country.

stephan henning
auburn, alabama
Old 02-25-2006, 03:21 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm Charlie's aunt. When you are childless, your brother's and sister's babies become your own. This is, and will always be, the saddest event of our lives. I watched Charlie grow up, from adorable toddler, to skinny kid, to a slacker teen. I don't know what flipped the switch in him, but he made the decision to join the army in August 2001. He was in the most dangerous area of Iraq, and had very little support, but he volunteered for the more dangerous missions so he could spare his brothers. This sweet, skinny only child entered the army a boy, and died a man. He truly was a hero. If you want to honor his memory, ask yourself what you can do to help our troops over in Iraq and the veterans who, by Charlie's grace, are able to return to their families.

Combatpigg's sister
Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Chuck,

What sad news, my wife Janette and I send our condolences to you, your wife and family. When I read the post the pain I felt was as if I had loss someone, even thought we don't know you or your son. Please take care of yourself and your wife during these trying times.

Rick and Janette Wallace
Old 02-25-2006, 04:26 PM
marean

As a Canadian living near Mchord AFB in Washington State in the 60's where my dad was an air traffic controller leading US tactical strike aircraft towards the high Arctic I was more than aware of the dangerous world we live in. Now 40 years later my viewing of the carnage in Iraq and elswhere on CNN has de sensitised me from reality.It is only when I am touched by the personal sacrifices of the brave soles defending our right to chat about "hobbies" that I am shaken to the core. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are the first to describe how I feel "shaken to the core" I even talked to my 7yr old son about this Thursday night and called my dad to tell him I love him tonight. Shaken is the word I truly feel. CP, hang in there friend[sm=sleeping.gif] you and your family have touched us more than you know.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Piggy:

In WW II my dad and his four brothers were all military. Dad was CIC officer on the battleship Massachusetts, Troy was in the OSS, John was the "Lollytwat, in the Army JAG office, never heard a shot fired, Floyd was a gunner on a B-17, and Ralph was a SeaBee in the Pacific.

My generation. I was in the USAF, and had two planes shot out from under me, crashed landed a few morebut they were back at home base. Cousin Jim was a wizzo in F-4 aircraft. Luckily, he never got hit at all.

My son and son-in-law were USAF types also, both in in intelligence analysis, neither of them heard a shot other than training.

And with all this exposure, none of us ever got a scratch. Ralph had a bout with dengue fever, but that's it.

All this is to say we each serve as we see fit, and some will always catch the "Golden BB" when it comes their way. It's very sad when a loved one makes the supreme sacrifice.

So. I am proud of your son, and commiserate with you in his loss. You have my deepest sympathy, and prayers for easing your despair.

Bill.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just one more thing and I'll shut up. I was one of the many who sent all my awards and honors to that little s**t Jimmjy Carter after he pardoned all the Viet Nam era chickens and cowards.

But the damned SOB sent them all back.

Bill.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C.P,
There is no greater deed than to risk you life for the benifit of others.

I could not keep the tears out of my eyes reading your news. My deepest sympathys go out to you.

Stefan
Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Buddy, I have thought about you all day and told several of OUR loss.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

CP, please accept my deepest, most heart-felt and sincerest condolances in your time of trial. May your heart be lightened with each passing day and may you be comforted by the knowledge that his footsteps were on the path of those who have kept this nation free. Tom @ Buzzard Bluff
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

There are no words I can type that can ease your pain...

There are no words to express my gratitude...
Thanks to your son and hundreds like him whom have laid down their life for our country we can enjoy a life of relative peace and for that I am eternally grateful.

Jaime.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:58 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks again to all of you who have come forth to share in my grief and to honor my son. It helps to have friends who are willing to share the pain because I can feel your support actually carry me through this time. We had the funeral yesterday and it couldn't have been more fitting, more respectful, or more honoring to Charlie.

He is buried amongst his "graduating class" of men who have recently been killed in Iraq.

Here we are in happier times about 3 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63943.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	417851  
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Chuck,
I am truly sorry for your loss, I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are going though right now. Recently, this week actually, another young man, 22 year old PFC Matt Conley of the US Marines was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq while fighting for freedom for the people of Iraq. As I watched the funeral procession and the more than 2000 flags that lined the highway here along north Alabama I was brought to tears thinking of the sacrifice this man's family had made and could not fathom the places it would take me. Trust me when I tell you that there are those out here who have you in are prayers and will not forget the sacrifices made by you and your family. May God bless you and give you some peace in this time of pain.
Sincerely
Tommy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.