Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

VINETIAN BLIND

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: VINETIAN BLIND

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
dieFluggeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

We are getting close to putting this puppy in the air. Servos are mounted. Ailerons working. Brushless motor. Will post a video if it flys. If it don't I won't post the video. See how brave I am.
Please post a vid if it doesn't fly! A lot can be learned from an autopsy video - perhaps enough to make a few changes and give success!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

A lot can be learned from an autopsy video - perhaps enough to make a few changes and give success!
Yeah, I've been there. Cause of death: OOPS!!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

If you find the aileron effectiveness marginal try this:
reverse the throw direction and the servo input to have one side go up this would be the opposite side of desired roll.
this works by reducing lift on the wing with raised aileron and allows the opposite wing to come up. I have not tried it but guys using separate servos on glider spoilers do this occasionally to get the spoilers to work like ailerons.

Thats one cool looking old plane! we definately want at least a report on the maiden.[8D]
Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is the way the plane was designed to fly. As a CL trainer, it flies on some of the slats, not all of them. Which slats gives it lift depends on the attitude of the plane. If full up is given, the plane is supposed to fly on the front slats, while the rear slats supply drag so the plane can mush into the ground, avoiding a crash.

As an RC with ailerons, who knows? We can only wish him success.

George
Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see what you mean, it will fly on the three rear slots only with the four foremost ones at negative/neutral angle of attach. The aileron surface have been added though so with a proper tuning of their neutral poistion, surely there will be a difference in lift between the two wing halves and the plane will bank....?

If it doesn't work one could always just cover the whole thing and get an under chambered wing!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
goirish

Humm!! why are you saying different lift on the 2 wing halves. Don't understand that. Seems like adding the ailerons should give it more lift in the level position.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
goirish

Maybe I need to mount a 4 stroke on it so it will have enough power to drag it through the air. hahahaha--thinking maybe a 91 ought to do it.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
goirish

I will post a video when we maiden it. That way we can all have a big laugh. Some can say "I told you it wouldn't fly". Waiting for the weather to break. However, they are calling for 6" snow by tonight again. But you know Michigan only has 2 seasons. Fall & Winter.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humm!! why are you saying different lift on the 2 wing halves. Don't understand that. Seems like adding the ailerons should give it more lift in the level position.
Ok, I meant that as you alter the angles of the two ailerons and make them assymetrical in the usual way, the lift of each wing half will be different and this will then bank the plane as desired...
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM
gcb

Maybe I need to mount a 4 stroke on it so it will have enough power to drag it through the air. hahahaha--thinking maybe a 91 ought to do it.
If I remember correctly, the original was powered by a Babe Bee and had a cardboard disk mounted to lessen the thrust. The intent was to learn CL with a SLOW plane with limited control.

I think we all are anxiously awaiting flight reports!

George
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
goirish

you are correct gcb. Trying to fit all of the electronics has been a nightmare. But we are getting close. Just trying to figure out what battery to use for this brushless outrunner.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
gcb

Don't get lost in the slats theory. Remember, that's what ailerons do, the one that goes up decreases lift under that wing and supplies downward force on the top. The one that goes down supplies more lift under the wing to lift it, thus rotation.

My guess is that the ailerons will be effective when the plane is level but less effective as you take off and land. Just a guess, you can soon answer those questions. Good luck.

George