Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tomboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tomboy

Hi Folks,

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I'd like to know where to get plans for the Tomboy. I thought I had a set but apparently not. I see that the AMA has hold of John Pond's collection and are figuring out what to do with it - so I have no idea where to go.

Do the plans also show optional floats?

Thanks,

MJD
Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tomboy

Hmm...both the 36"and 44" are listed for sale in the AMA plans directory.

There's also a kit available here.....

http://www.falconmodels.uk.com

Also, Bob Selman is a USA agent for Falcon Models, he might be able to order 'em in...

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/
Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Also, Bob Selman is a USA agent for Falcon Models, he might be able to order 'em in...

Well, I looked at the first page that came up on the AMA site and they said Pond's collection was still waiting for disposition of some kind. Had I looked further I might have found it myself..

Thanks!

MJD
Old 01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Holy Schlamoley - that kit converts into $130 Canadian... OUCH!!! I'll scratch build for that price!!!

MJD
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
hfenn

Here is my Tomboy built from a B&W Model Hobbies (Ft. Wayne, IN) short kit. I fly it on throttle and rudder only with a PAW .033. The kit has the wing center wrong (joined in a V instead of the flat panel for the cabin area) and some truss braces in the fuselage that I don't see in pics of the FF versions folks have built. Still, it is a great fling plane. I built mine 36".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58199.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	605221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58147.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	605222  
Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 AM
johnvb-RCU

Here's my 44" version in the bones. Power will be an Enya 06D, covering will be Airspan. Astute observers will notice the wrong number of tailplane ribs, it's only one bay longer rather than two...

Name:	Rp42264.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	606150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32613.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	606151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24685.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	606152  
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Falcon Models Co. has some nice kits. The scaled down 36" version of Ray Heit's Scram would be fun to build.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:12 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: rainedave

That Falcon Models Co. has some nice kits. The scaled down 36" version of Ray Heit's Scram would be fun to build.
Yeah, but did you see the prices? At over 2X for exchange to pounds it's beyond reason. The Tomboy kit is listed at 54.45 pounds - now, if it was 54 dollars it would be alright - I would pay it without grumbling in the understanding it was a niche market kit and made in moderate numbers. But in US dollars that's $108, in Cdn $128. The Scram is the same price. No way Jose would I fork out that much.

MJD
Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 PM
injunnut1

You can purchase the 'Tomboy' plan ($8.00) or the laser cut short kit ($38.00) here in the States from Robert Hartwig <[email protected]> ..... phone number 260-693-6510 ..... or email him for his latest catalog. These are top quality kits with the pre-bent landing gear included with all of the laser-cut curved parts necessary to complete the model ..... you supply the necessary straight stock wood.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 PM
hfenn

That's the short kit the one pictured in post #5 is made from.

ORIGINAL: injunnut1
You can purchase the 'Tomboy' plan ($8.00) or the laser cut short kit ($38.00) here in the States from Robert Hartwig <[email protected]> ..... phone number 260-693-6510 ..... or email him for his latest catalog. These are top quality kits with the pre-bent landing gear included with all of the laser-cut curved parts necessary to complete the model ..... you supply the necessary straight stock wood.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 AM
qazimoto

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MJD,

did you get the file?

regards Ray
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: locktite401

MJD,

did you get the file?

regards Ray
No, I didn't. I checked my spam blocker to see if it got held up there and couldn't see it either. I PM my work address again to double check and we'll see what's going on.

MJD
Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

Thanks - I emailed that address twice in the last three weeks or so and never got a reply. I'll try calling and see if I can get him on the blower. But chances are I'll just scratch build, it's a constant chord wing and there aren't many formers either.

MJD
Old 01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: MJD

MJD,

did you get the file?

regards Ray
No, I didn't. I checked my spam blocker to see if it got held up there and couldn't see it either. I PM my work address again to double check and we'll see what's going on.

MJD

Try this link, you should be able to download the file from here.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/ra...oyOriginal.dwg

Good luck,

regards Ray
Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
MJD

Good luck,

regards Ray
Got it! Thank you Ray!

MJD
Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM
qazimoto

Good luck,

regards Ray
Got it! Thank you Ray!

MJD
Check that it will load into autocad! I've had trouble in the past with acad files on the internet. Sometimes they need an additional file so they can work. Let me know.

regards Ray
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
MJD

Check that it will load into autocad! I've had trouble in the past with acad files on the internet. Sometimes they need an additional file so they can work. Let me know.

regards Ray
No problems whatsoever, it loads fine. I have already one version on the go with a modified front end to accomodate a Sure Start, thanks to the drawings on PT's website, in case I want to build one for one of the several SS's gathering dust in my box. I also started work on a scaled down version for an .010 version last night - bigger than the Tom Thumb at about 100 squares. Soon I will have several versions drawn and will have no idea which one I should actually build first...

Again, thanks for the drawing!

MJD
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
MJD

I also started work on a scaled down version for an .010 version last night - bigger than the Tom Thumb at about 100 squares. Soon I will have several versions drawn and will have no idea which one I should actually build first...
MJD
Which BTW would be my first choice for the Rudder Olny Cookup elsewhere on this forum.. although I would want a version with R/E as well. May as well build two. Hmm.. maybe a throttle sleeve too? Nah..
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray or MJD --

Is that an anomaly in the drawing of the stab rib (it shows up in the rib and cross section of the stab) or was it designed that way?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM
skaliwag

Here's an 010 Playboy with throttle

Name:	Vs55782.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	610859  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM
qazimoto

regards Ray
No problems whatsoever, it loads fine. I have already one version on the go with a modified front end to accomodate a Sure Start, thanks to the drawings on PT's website, in case I want to build one for one of the several SS's gathering dust in my box. I also started work on a scaled down version for an .010 version last night - bigger than the Tom Thumb at about 100 squares. Soon I will have several versions drawn and will have no idea which one I should actually build first...

Again, thanks for the drawing!

MJD

Thanks should got to Alfredo Herbon from Argentina who drew up the file from the original. Glad to hear that it worked.

regards Ray
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Ray or MJD --

Is that an anomaly in the drawing of the stab rib (it shows up in the rib and cross section of the stab) or was it designed that way?
Andrew,

do you mean in the length of the rib? If so the ribs are indented into the TE by about 3/32" and that accounts for the apparent difference in rib lengths.

regards Ray
Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray,

It turns out that it was a software problem -- I had opened the file with Turbocad at my office and the shape of the stab rib was distorted -- the upper surface forward of the spar was concave from above. I opened it at home with a simple DWG viewer, and the drawing cleaned up with the expected shape.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
andrew
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Big Al-RCU

I wonder about that lifting stab for RO. If I remember my FF correctly, a lifting stab along with an aft CG resulted in a nice flat glide, but how would it affect the maneuverability for RO? I would guess a flat stab and a longer nose (for balance) might be a better set-up?
al
Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 AM
MJD

Thanks should got to Alfredo Herbon from Argentina who drew up the file from the original. Glad to hear that it worked.

regards Ray
Absolutely, I agree. Although anyone selling Tomboy plans may disagree.. Any version I draw up even if it is just for my own use will retain his name as originator of the drawing.

MJD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.