Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

36" Wendel Hostetler's Gee Bee Z

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

36" Wendel Hostetler's Gee Bee Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:01 AM
chevy43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36" Wendel Hostetler's Gee Bee Z

I was looking at this plan at the bottom of the page:

[link=http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/]36" Gee Bee Z[/link]

Any one know anything about it?

I wonder if it would have to have a huge engine to make it balance? Is there any way to build this light and still have it balance? It is such a pretty plane!! It's not worth it if I have to put a .40 up front on a 36" plane though.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
digital_trucker

Default RE: 36" Wendel Hostetler's Gee Bee Z

Interesting line on that page.."All of our designs may now be purchased in any size. They are plotted on a laser printer with black lines on a high quality white paper. Due to the custom plotting process, the cost is somewhat higher than our regular plan prices. No fiberglass parts, formed windshields, or gear are available for special sizes."
Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Sneasle

Ya, you can order then plans in about any sizes. There plans are great, but I do not know how well it will scale. You need to keep in mind that chances are it will be one of the 29% planes or larger that has just been scaled down on the printer. The wood/design may not be complimentary to such a small model.

If you do decide to get it please let us know how it looks. I know I would love to build a smaller version to train on before I move up to my 1/5th scale one.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

You may be better off enlarging this from 24":
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...1470df965edcdf
dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31435.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	689641  
Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
RookiePilot

Actually I spoke with Mr. Hostetler about a 27% Extra. It had a one piece wing and I wanted a 2 Piece wing. To make a long story short, he was willing to scale a 33% down to a 27%. It was for an extra charge,but the scaling was in CAD making sure the slots,wood sizes, etc scaled properly (not just scaling on a printer). FWIW

Reggie
Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chevy43
I wonder if it would have to have a huge engine to make it balance? Is there any way to build this light and still have it balance? It is such a pretty plane!! It's not worth it if I have to put a .40 up front on a 36" plane though.

In addition to the balancing of the model, you might want to think about how to get the prop tips outside the diameter of the engine cowling. With a 1/2A or A sized glow engine the prop might be trying to do most of its work as a fan through that long NACA style cowling, and not very efficiently at that.

Looking at Z three view and doing some rough scaling up, a 36" wingspan Z is going to have about a 5.5" diameter cowling. Anything turning a 7x4 will barely get the tips beyond the cowling. A prop approaching scale diameter would be about 12". A PAW .09 could handle a 10x4 and a sturdy glow .15 could turn a 10x6. A .15/.19 PAW could turn an 11x6 or a 12x4 and at about 6 ounces proved some "functional" weight up front instead of a lighter engine and lots of lead.

Good luck if you build it. I think a Z would be way beyond my flying skills in addition to having flight characteristics that would turn me completely grey. [8D]
Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
chevy43

Yes I was thinking Diesel too.

He said it has 208 squares so that is 23 oz AUW at 16 oz wing loading. I could probably get it under that weight. I already know I can fly at that wing loading from my heavyweight 32" PT-19.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
digital_trucker

For 1/2A it might be better to go down to 180 sg in or so area...GeeBees are supposed to be overpowered
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: lildiesel

ORIGINAL: chevy43

In addition to the balancing of the model, you might want to think about how to get the prop tips outside the diameter of the engine cowling. With a 1/2A or A sized glow engine the prop might be trying to do most of its work as a fan through that long NACA style cowling, and not very efficiently at that.

Looking at Z three view and doing some rough scaling up, a 36" wingspan Z is going to have about a 5.5" diameter cowling. Anything turning a 7x4 will barely get the tips beyond the cowling. A prop approaching scale diameter would be about 12". A PAW .09 could handle a 10x4 and a sturdy glow .15 could turn a 10x6. A .15/.19 PAW could turn an 11x6 or a 12x4 and at about 6 ounces proved some "functional" weight up front instead of a lighter engine and lots of lead.

Good luck if you build it. I think a Z would be way beyond my flying skills in addition to having flight characteristics that would turn me completely grey. [8D]

You are correct. However, even on my 1/5th scale Gee Bee Z, it will be virtually impossible to get a scale prop on it for flying. The prop used on the real one (the lower hp version I think) was 8ft 2". If you don't want to do the math, that is a roughly 20" prop for a model designed to fly on a .40 engine. Show me a .40 that can do that. The .91 4S I got with the plane Can't even spin that.

This is my plane [link=http://www.adrianpage.com/zpage.html]Gee Bee Z 1/5th[/link]

The designer flew it with a .70 saito with a 11x6 prop. The cowl on this plane is in the 10" in range I think. I can pull out the original RCM build article or go pull the cowl on the box and double check.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
chevy43

They do seem to fly well anyway with smaller than scale props from the reading I have beee doing here on RCU.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Sneasle

Yup, you are very correct. I do still wonder how well it will work out. Bipe made a set of wheel pants from scratch at one point. Maybe get with him for that. The cowl might be made from a coke bottle or something.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: 36

I just ordered hostetler's 29% Gee Bee Model Z plans. Looking forward to getting started!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 36

I guess you could try and build a 2:1 reduction for the 2 stroke .40, that would swing a 20x10 with about the same thrust. Now that would be sweet.