Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Unnamed pusher

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unnamed pusher

Ok, it's been a while since I put anything out, so it seems appropriate to jump in with both feet. The "blower" and cowl will be vac-formed. I wouldn't mind making this thing as a glow/electric airframe, but haven't gotten around to drawing up the batterys, etc. I've got a drawing of the Towerpro around here that dF sent me, so will be inserting that to check dimensions soon. Any of you guys that are into electric foamies should recognize the inspiration pretty quick!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75548.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	707743  
Old 06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Unnamed pusher

I like it! Those wing tip tubes would be for optional rocket engines?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Cobra289

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I like it! Those wing tip tubes would be for optional rocket engines?
[>:] miniature versions of the F-104 Starfighter jet engines............

ptulmber, I like that also..
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
ptulmer

CP, wonder what it would look like of only one engine fired?[sm=lol.gif] They'll probably end up vac-formed and have some small aluminum wheels imbedded. There's gonna be another small wheel up front. They are definitely going to be for landing only.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be a cool project. Will you run the Sure Start backwards with the prop on backwards?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM
ptulmer

I have a three-blade pusher prop on hand, but hate to lose any power to that thing, so that's most likely a yes. Also gonna have to see about putting a thrust washer on the SS. I know Cox never did on the pushers they made, but I like to keep mine around for a little while.
I just hope there's more time tomorrow to work on it. I try to do bits during lunch, but as soon as I get home, it's Smithy time! (that is one fun machine) I'm making a special purpose reamer right now. How cool is that?!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Mr67Stang

By the title of your thread it looks like your asking for sudjestions for a name. How about the Half A Super Speedster or Half A SS for short
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Patrick,

Instead of the thrust washer you can use the brass prop driver on the pusher engine. That is what Cox did.

LAter,
Tim
Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 AM
ptulmer

'Stang, that's a devious mind you've got there. I'll probably hold off on the actual name until the drawing is far enough along that I know it will get finished. I've got a habit of getting sidetracked. Speaking of the reamer....

Tim, I never knew that was the reason behind the brass driver! Makes good sense, though. I've got a couple old-uns floating around with those on them. The nice part is that won't require machining like the Home Depot fiber washer I used last time. (which worked, but I didn't run it long enough to know how long it would work)
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

CP, wonder what it would look like of only one engine fired?[sm=lol.gif] They'll probably end up vac-formed and have some small aluminum wheels imbedded. There's gonna be another small wheel up front. They are definitely going to be for landing only.

[/quote]

I've seen the results first hand of what happens to a rocket with outboards like that when only one fires - years ago, there was a mdoel contest at the Ford Utica test track in Michigan. The local rocket club talked them into letting them have a launch off to the side at the same time, all good fun for the fliers and spectators alike. One dumbass had a Star Wars something or other, and had mounted outboard Estes engines in the engine pods for effect. Effect alright, one lit, the rocket verred horizontal and plowed into the grass. The resulting blaze brought out the fire department, burned off half the infield grass and totally pissed off the airplane people who summarily ejected the rocket club from the site..

Moral: Always put rocket engines close to the centerline.

Cool airplane BTW PT, looks like it could be a bit CG sensitive with that planform.

MJD
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: MJD
Cool airplane BTW PT, looks like it could be a bit CG sensitive with that planform.

MJD
Could you elaborate? My only thought per the CG was that the effect of the center section chord would slightly widen the CG range. Or do you mean the actual balancing of the airplane? In that case, I will be trying to balance the battery against the rest. The long nose should help with that.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
flyswatter

pt:

I know what you can call it. Seeing as how it is a pusher and you like to launch your own planes, why not call it "Onefinga Les"?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No fuel is too cruel[>:]

Name:	Yw67042.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	708222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69662.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	708223  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
small_rcer

That F-18 ish blue foam model looks like it is going fast even standing still. More details would be appreciated. Glow, Slope, Electric, EDF, pusher, what ?

An 049 pusher like that of blue foam would be a fun jet.

Jim H
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM
LoneRanger

ORIGINAL: small_rcer

That F-18 ish blue foam model looks like it is going fast even standing still. An 049 pusher like that of blue foam would be a fun jet.

Jim H

quoted for accuracy!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does a Rocket Rail like yours do... (mph).
Are they tethered (circle) or on a wire line?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 AM
vicman

Fisrt off, it was not my intention to hijack PT's thread so I will answer all the questions once and you can pm me from here. He gets weird about that kind of thing.

The F-18 is from free plans on 3Dfoamy.com and electric. I used an eflite park 370 and the GWS geabox listed, Castle 25, 11.1v 1500 Kokam. It pulled about 18A on full throttle burst and 12A at 2/3. Flight time is about 12min.

The car is a design from my son and ran straight down the street. We made it from a covering tube and nosecone along with other odds and ends around the shop. Not much more to tell than that other than it was the coolest thing anyone in my neighborhood ever saw. I say was since we retired it after two seasons and before we totally destroyed it. 3 C engines is very cool to see and hear.

Again, pm if you want more details
Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: vicman
Fisrt off, it was not my intention to hijack PT's thread so I will answer all the questions once and you can pm me from here. He gets weird about that kind of thing.
You're one to talk about being weird! Case in point:

ORIGINAL: vicman
No fuel is too cruel[>:]
Dude, I'm still trying to figure out what that means. And no, I don't get weird. The thread will get back on topic when I've got more done on the plans. (nothing yesterday, but the reamer is almost done! (how's that for non-topical))
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
flyswatter

pt:
I thought it was just me. I was figuring on asking you this weekend at the flying field to interpret the Vic-ese saying. It must be something in the water in NC.[X(] Eh, probably not when I think about it. My momma was from NC and she didn't pass any weird genes to me.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM
vicman

The diffrence is that I don't get weird, I stay there for long periods of time. I am getting ready to enter my fourth decade of it in a few weeks.

The fuel comment was a small statement referring to my ability to enjoy all forms of combustion and propulshunnnnn. I will put the dialect on it for you.

Awwh Wismahn's prane prospuh verry exserentry wrif mannny type uff powah soase.

That ought to mess with the GA homies for a while[8D]
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
ptulmer

FS, I think Vic is one of them "Yankees" that moved to NC for the weather.[&:] (Shoot, the rest of the CC is! Raymond, Tim, Rog... Vic can't be the lone southerner in there.) The use of adjectives such as "homie" argue in favor of that theory. I think he is a former inner-city gang member from the Bronx here in the witness protection program. BTW, my school got pushed out 'til next month, so I will see you Sunday.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
vicman

I'm only here for the wimmin an booze[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
FYI I come from a more rural area than you do.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 PM
flyswatter

Geez, Vic, now you are starting to sound like a Southerner. However, there is no place in NC that is more rural than the largest city in GA - except Atlanta which doesn't count since it is full of carpetbaggers! What do you mean that you aren't weird? You are still messing with 1/2A aren't you. [sm=lol.gif]

BTW, I like your pusher. It is pretty - are we going to get a flight report soon and/or a finger count?

pt, I still didn't understand Vic's explanation of his first undiscipherable saying.[sm=confused.gif]

Would you please finish your pusher wing design and build a testbed and fly it. Who knows, maybe I will have to eat my words concerning "Onefinga Les".[X(]
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
ptulmer

I figgered it was time for an update. It's not quite ready to start cutting balsa, but it's progress! You can see that I'm not using a box fuselage, which is a bit of a departure for me. So it's a little slow cuz you gotta build it in you mind while you draw it!

Name:	Li21256.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	724374  
Old 08-10-2007, 12:21 PM
ptulmer

Got more progress. The wing is laid out and the ribs ready for cleanup work. I should be working on my new site, but you gotta take a break every once in a while!

Name:	Xv65615.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	739467