Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace T-6 engine selection

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace T-6 engine selection

Old 03-27-2003, 10:04 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ace T-6 engine selection

Ok, here's the story, short version: I have a tendency to jump right into the proverbial deep end w/o bothering to take wimming lessons first.
Long version: In spite of the fact that I have two perfectly servicable GWS foamies I fly regularly, and a sig lt-25 on the boards to re-transition to glow power after a 10-year hiatus, I just couldn't resist the urge to pick up an Ace simple t-6 I saw at the lhs along with an OS .10la. The next week I got a great deal on a bigmig .061rc so I couldn't turn that down either. Either way, I plan to build as soon as the kadet is done and put it away till I'm comfortable with glow power again.
So, my question is this: Which of the aforementioned powerplants is better suited to the T-6? I should mention that one of those engines is eventually destined for a lazy bee or a ladybug, depending on which one is left over. Is your head spinning yet?

My observations so far:

-The norvel fits in the cowl better
-The OS muffler looks like it will require serious trimming of the cowl
-The norvel spins a smaller prop, which may be bad with that big round cowl

I know it's not rocket science (it's aeronautical engineering), but I'm just looking for some opinions from the 1/2a cognoscenti. Thanx in advance!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:10 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never built one myself but the ones I've seen were either Cox TD or Norvel powered. I'd go with the Big Mig. Don't worry about the prop/cowl issue...it's not a problem. The extra weight of the .10 would make it nose heavy and your wingloading would go up as well. Definitely uncool.

ps: Having said that, 14 other guys'll prob'ly come on and say the OS.10 is a perfect engine for it!
Old 03-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Chap
My Feedback: (21)

Default Ace AT-6

I agree with Dickeybird, the .10 would be too much weight. The Norvel 061 will fly it fine. My AT 6 and Corsair have Thunder Tiger 07's. My Mustang and Me-109 have Norvel 061's and they fly great.
Chap
Old 03-28-2003, 01:15 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

.061, my corsair did great on the .061 and it has a "cowl" of substantial size too!

L.R.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:57 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

use the 061! the 10 will be fine on a light lazybee, but would push the wing loading up on the texan, and a snappy texan is no fun! the 061 will pull it all over the sky!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:58 PM
BuzzBomber

Okay!

Due to the overwhelming response, I can conclude that the norvel is the winner So the OS goes back in the box until I build it a suitable home. Dickeybird, I've read enough of your posts, I'm surprised you didn't tell me to scrap the norvel and get a cox! Anyhow, thanks for the answers, guys. Once again, RCU saves me the trouble of an uninformed decision.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:01 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by buzzbomber
Dickeybird, I've read enough of your posts, I'm surprised you didn't tell me to scrap the norvel and get a cox!
Naahh, I wouldn't do that....I hear Norvel's are great. Somebody fired off a Norvel vs. Cox missile at me on this forum early on and I just HAD to return fire! We've been having good fun "bantering" ever since.

I started the hobby with Cox engines 43 yrs. ago and have returned to them 'cuz they make me happy! Also, I have so many old Cox parts stockpiled, it wouldn't be financially prudent to start all over with a new brand. Now that .074 Norvel.....hmmmm
Old 03-28-2003, 04:43 PM
BuzzBomber

yeah, that .074 norvel looks real nice, but I read the specs--man, I don't need THAT much power in this plane! (at least not at this stage of my flying career) As for cox, I've got an old lunchbox full of them in various stages of disassembly. They ran pretty good 15 years ago, but now...yikes, they're in bad shape.