Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/4A Scimitar wing plans

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/4A Scimitar wing plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4A Scimitar wing plans

Ray, they used to be in the pull-out bins on the screw isle. Sometimes they are too thick for a new motor, so just use your electric starter for a while before installing. You'll crap a gold brick when you realize just how much wear that causes!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

I tend to get "stripes" on my launching hand - once bit is enough - even for me.

oh that just burst my bubble...next thing you know someone is gonna tell me that Barry Bonds took steroids []
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Uh, "crap a gold brick". Excuse me but I'm way too private a person to share that kind of information with anyone but my physician. Harumph. Yes, I do confess that I know it is wrong to abuse an engine with an electric starter but I DO hate those spring starters.

But unless one has a bushed front end on a Cox engine (I think Higley sold them) won't the front end become egg-shaped before any real damage can be done by a starter? (Oh goody I'm gonna get mail?)

Oh no Mr Bill, is Barry Bonds sterile? I hate it when people don't tell me what's going on in the outside world.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
combatpigg

Ray, I'm not raggin' on you about using an electric starter, some of my best friends use electric starters. It's about your sqeamishness around 1/2A pusher jobs. I used to have alot of respect for you, but now.........I....just...don't ....know..
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Its just totally beyond the realm of possibility that anyone who has ever witnessed a Mr Olympia muscle builders exhibition could possibly question my virility! I guess this is just another proof of the existance of parallel universes. (I think I might cry!)
Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
combatpigg

Ray, all is not lost. You can redeem yourself to GrandPooBah status once again by conquering your fears. It's a project we can work on together, I took a semester of Psych 101 25 years ago, so I know exactly what we got to do here. I'm going to fix up another swept wing pusher powered by a Cyclon .061 and use a pair of those 2 inch Xacto carving blades for the pusher prop. For the first few launches you can wear a falconers' glove to get your confidence back, then we'll have you "go commando" for your graduation launch. We'll have Tony Roberts there, not just for morale support....but he's a real fast runner just in case you decide to "bolt".
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

(Sniff, swipe nose with sleeve) . . . Gee Chuck you'd do all that just to restore my manhood - without drugs even?! I feel like that guy from Monte Python, Roger Putey, "I will be a man, I will be a man."

(Xacto blades?) How 'bout I just toss a Zagi with a plastic spoon prop a couple of times?

Is it me or have we somehow strayed a bit from Frank's Bug's Ear build? The more I think of building an 'Ear, the more I think of just using a symetrical airfoil - just to be ornery. Fact is, the more I think about it, if one were to build the fuselage so that the wing mounting area was flat - along the datum line - then with just a little bit of fiddling one could try an Evans airfoil, symetrical, Kline-Fogelman, flat plate, whatever. Have any of youse all tried multiple airfoils on the same basic design to just see what the differences were? Foam would sure make that easier.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
combatpigg

Ray, the plastic spoons on the Zagi might improve the one I got! Thanks to the Zagi, my thirst for trying electric power got quenched real quick.

The lighter the model, the less difference the airfoil makes....with the extreme example being those fly weight FFFs that have no airfoil. I think symetric airfoiled 1/2A planes will tend to be less quirky if they're built light enough and better all around flyers.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
rbeluche

One could simply build 3 different plane. I'm sure that any of us has enough collected scrap to do so. Or... you could build it in such a fashion as to have three sets of plug-in wings. A test-bed fuselage if you please.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
hfenn

Ray, I'm thinking of using a cut-down Ace molded foam tapered chord wing. It wouldn't have quite as much chord in the center but it would be interesting to see how the semi-symmetrical airfoil would do.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Good idea Hollis. I have a couple sets of those wings stashed away in the "to build" pile. Who is it that says, "so many models, so little time?"
Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 AM
rbeluche

New pics on project. Had to scrap original fuse. Wouldn't house a 3s lipo. Been taking my time, added tri-gear. Had no horn for nosewheel steering, had to do some engineering. Cam up with my own copy of through the spring steering horn. Cam out really well.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22945.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	887095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37338.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	887096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89994.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	887097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80351.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	887098  
Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 PM
CAhardhat
My Feedback: (14)

I don't know if you have found out yet but Bill had severe medical problems and was forced to shut down the business. There is a RCForum that has his plans available and another site that will kit the planes.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

McMaster Carr is the source of all things, so it seems. I have an assortment of fiber washers from them.

Our Home Depot has, in the fasteners department, those revolving parts cabinets with all kinds of little "bits" like nylom screws. blind nuts, etc. That's where I'd look.

Re pushers.. funny, how I always seemed to need a buddy to launch them for me. My first pusher was a little canard (Estes Astro Blaster with a .15 on the tail). John never got bit once. I know I never did.. :-)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought 1/4 nylon bolts from ebay they have all sizes cheap most free shipping.