Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

MECOA- Toki .05 Aircraft Engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

MECOA- Toki .05 Aircraft Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MECOA- Toki .05 Aircraft Engine

MJD, that's an easy one. Goes Nowhere Does Nothing. Similar to the "[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferies_tube]Jefferies Tubes[/link]" on Star Trek.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

MJD, that's an easy one. Goes Nowhere Does Nothing. Similar to the "[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferies_tube]Jefferies Tubes[/link]" on Star Trek.
Cheater cheater, you looked on Wiki. Kidding..

It's easy for closet Trek fans of course. (not Trekkies, mind you, those are on a different rung of the evolutionary ladder [&:])

I'm still pausing in the odd episode to read the vital signs monitor in sickbay. It is rumored that one of the pointy sliders was labelled something like "medical insurance remaining".

Well, this has strayed a bit from the topic.. [8D]
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine!..took 5 days to get here, not bad...it weighs in at about an oz more than the Norvel .074,, the muffler is surprizingly light for its size..came with a free Meccoa hat....it is the black one with the red head....have no idea what to put it on?....maybe a simple series.....Rog
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Mr Cox

How much would that be, about 105 grams?
Isn't that about twice the weight of a Norvel 0.05?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

How much would that be, about 105 grams?
Isn't that about twice the weight of a Norvel 0.05?

More than twice the .049/prop is 51 grams
.074/prop is 93 grams
.05 Toki no prop 118 grams

It also includes an allen wrench with a handle to adjust the needle with so your fingers arent
in the prop
Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm watching to see how these work out. My last couple of .049 planes required noseweight anyway.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
redbird340

A post on the other 1/2A froum:

ORIGINAL: mlbco
I ran the Toki 05 today and measured 15,000 RPM on a Master Airscrew 6x3 with some very old 25% nitro fuel. The engine is very quiet and throttles down to around 5000 RPM. The throttle response from idle to full is a bit sluggish but reliable. The engine is still breaking in and probably could use some newer fuel. Overall it seems like a good motor although a bit large for the power it produces. One other note, you need to drill a 1/4" hole to fit the prop. This is much bigger than any other 049 engine and will make some props weak. The weight with muffler is 4.4 ounces.

Steve
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
MJD

I ran the Toki 05 today and measured 15,000 RPM on a Master Airscrew 6x3 with some very old 25% nitro fuel. The engine is very quiet and throttles down to around 5000 RPM. The throttle response from idle to full is a bit sluggish but reliable.

...Overall it seems like a good motor although a bit large for the power it produces.
Another TT .07?

Yawn.

I hope there is some more moxie hiding in there.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

After reading mlbcos' "engine review", I'm really "pumped" now to get one of those! [X(]!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Mr Cox

Yeah, try making a twin using those...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: redbird340

A post on the other 1/2A froum:

ORIGINAL: mlbco
I ran the Toki 05 today and measured 15,000 RPM on a Master Airscrew 6x3 with some very old 25% nitro fuel. The engine is very quiet and throttles down to around 5000 RPM. The throttle response from idle to full is a bit sluggish but reliable. The engine is still breaking in and probably could use some newer fuel. Overall it seems like a good motor although a bit large for the power it produces. One other note, you need to drill a 1/4" hole to fit the prop. This is much bigger than any other 049 engine and will make some props weak. The weight with muffler is 4.4 ounces.

Steve

The old baby bee 049 would do 14k on a 6/3 t/f prop. That was the prop that the motor was designed around
Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
combatpigg

A look inside the engine would be interesting.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: MJD

Another TT .07?
Well, hrmm, the TT .07 is a lightweight wonder in comparison (95 grams with muffler)
An OS 10LA weighs 112g (without the muffler), tough choise...

Any thoughts on where all the weight comes from, muffler, ballbearings, crank?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
combatpigg

I wonder what the guys in the RC car forums have to say about it as a car engine?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM
combatpigg

Evgenie-arm, thanks for the look inside your engine. It looks very different from any engine I have seen. Did you make the crankshaft?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I wonder what the guys in the RC car forums have to say about it as a car engine?

In the R/C car world, Toki's (in general ) don't get a lot of whatcha'd call respect, or "rave reviews"...
Over the years I've had about half a dozen Toki made car engines, and while they put out decent power, they're down near the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to respect and over-all quality, etc. compared to Novarossi, RB,Picco, Sirio and the like.

It does look though like there's room for substantial improvment [8D]
Get out your tools and start whittling...(I'm watching the Beverly Hillbillies right now )

No disparaging remarks intended here...it's good to see another small engine on the market, but it does seem rather heavy.
Just how much weight do ya think could be removed with a little careful "whittling"?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
combatpigg

Proptop, I just got back from the car forum ........those guys can't put 2 words together without getting sideways about something. Yep, it looks like Toki is in the "low-sport" category overthere. It was interesting to read that Picco is both loved and hated. I had a .21 that was rock solid, I never touched it, just gas and go. Even Jethro could have run mine.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I think if ya were to "tip the can" just for the heck of it, and run this thing on some 30-40% it just might go
Then you'd probably have reliability issues...but then again ya just might have those anyway, so....

Just an observation about the car forums, is that a lot of the guys there are young, as in teenagers, and they're used to texting, etc. so their lingo is...well...um...you know (sometimes my sentance structure ain't exactly what you'd call goodly either )
And their "experience" (if you can call it that ) with glow engines is virtually non-existant so you have to take their posts with a grain of salt.

There are a couple of guys in the car forums who can string more than a few words together... and are quite good at modding car engines. They also have Dyno's and have very good reputations...it would be interesting to see what one of these would dyno at.
Just off the top of my head, there's a guy named Colt46AB or something like that (AB Mods ) and he's done some remarkable work with Picco's (amongst others )
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM
combatpigg

Evgenie, What part of the engine is the "bucket"? I'm going to guess...the piston looks like a bucket. It looks like you have a lot of experience working on engines!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
flyinrog

CP, I think the "bucket" is the piston from his translation...on the previous page...but its a crazy language so I might be wrong...Rog
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
combatpigg

Hey Rog, he apologized earlier about his English, but I figured we could get somebody from North Carolina to translate....
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
digital_trucker

Looks to me like he typed it out in his language and used something like google language mangler to translate it. He manages to get the point across, at any rate!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
combatpigg

We seem to arrange our sentences differently than most of the others. Some languages would say, "our sentences, we arrange with a difference".
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

We seem to arrange our sentences differently than most of the others. Some languages would say, "our sentences, we arrange with a difference".
Not surprising. I heard the other day on the radio that the english language has more words than any other language. I tried to look up how many words are in the english language and found this at Oxford Dictionaries:

How many words are there in the English language?

There is no single sensible answer to this question. It is impossible to count the number of words in a language, because it is so hard to decide what counts as a word. Is dog one word, or two (a noun meaning 'a kind of animal', and a verb meaning 'to follow persistently')? If we count it as two, then do we count inflections separately too (dogs plural noun, dogs present tense of the verb). Is dog-tired a word, or just two other words joined together? Is hot dog really two words, since we might also find hot-dog or even hotdog?

It is also difficult to decide what counts as 'English'. What about medical and scientific terms? Latin words used in law, French words used in cooking, German words used in academic writing, Japanese words used in martial arts? Do you count Scots dialect? Youth slang? Computing jargon?

The Second Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words. To this may be added around 9,500 derivative words included as subentries. Over half of these words are nouns, about a quarter adjectives, and about a seventh verbs; the rest is made up of interjections, conjunctions, prepositions, suffixes, etc. These figures take no account of entries with senses for different parts of speech (such as noun and adjective).

This suggests that there are, at the very least, a quarter of a million distinct English words, excluding inflections, and words from technical and regional vocabulary not covered by the OED, or words not yet added to the published dictionary, of which perhaps 20 percent are no longer in current use. If distinct senses were counted, the total would probably approach three quarters of a million.

Hogflyer
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
combatpigg

What's worse, learning how to use our language or learning how to paint thousands of those Chinese characters?
Went to a Chinese restaurant years ago and all the items on the menu that had mushrooms were described as having BLACK FUNGUS [:'(]!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.