Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

POOR OUTLAW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default POOR OUTLAW!

Poor guy, I think he had "one too many". I ripped the firewall off the fuselage changing a glowplug today. It is time to retire this one [&o].
On the plus side, after seeing Rocket Robs' glass racers, I think it would be great to try making a glass copy of this one.

On another note, the Cyclon "grew a pair" today! I ran it on 35% nitro and it responded with 34,500 instead of the 30,500 I had been getting on 15%. The difference in the air is massive. This is slightly better than what the Fora put out......I kept waiting to see the engine rip loose after the field repair, but the super glue held up.

It's time to draw this one up and start carving a plug before I "stuff it". This is the plane that should be done up in carbon fiber, not the kahuna [hint] .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93876.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	893700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58027.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	893701  
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: POOR OUTLAW!

"34,500"! Holy gaucamole!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
combatpigg

Figure it is unloading to 37-38,000, it really is a thrill to fly! Trouble is now I'm going to have to spend my days at freeway off ramps asking for donations for Nelson plugs.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Cp

38K !

What kind of speed does that equal?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pigg, where is the plastic venturi?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Toad

LOL
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
combatpigg

Rich, must be over 100. gotta get it dopplered.

JM, plasteek inserts? We dun nee' no steenkeeng plasteek inserts!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
scudrunner77

Sad to see that one get retired but I guess that just opens the door for new opportunity... can't wait! When you flew that at Mission was the only time I've see a standing ovation at an RC club...!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM
combatpigg

I like your new avatar!

At least the wing on this thing is in good shape. I remember that it was a nice light sheet of balsa to begin with. I don't think any other method can beat solid sheet in this size range and application.

This stuff sure is fun...gotta get another little PBF going too! The VA would be perfect for that.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Anything over 20,000 is out of my league. How much elevator travel do you use at 38,000rpm? 1/64"?

David
Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
combatpigg

RD, I use about 3/16" up and down elevator with expo cranked in. The plane is fun to yank around with the elevator, but the expo really helps to smooth level passes. The ailerons move about 1/8" for moderate rolls and good all around control. With a little more wing span and a regular 1/2A engine it would be a good plane to transition to from the trainer types and an easy build.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey CP....
I guess the upgrade canceled out my post....
I'm surprised you trusted that firewall with that engine
I really like your wing fillets.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
combatpigg

Thanks RR! I think it is safe to try to type something now. I guess the ugly photo of the mangled P-51 Outlaw knocked RCU out of whack?
The fillets are easy to make with soft tri-stock. Put some clear packing tape over the wing and screw the wing to the fuselage. Then take some balsa tri-stock and kerf it most of the way through [so it can bend with the wing contour]. I like to use medium CA to glue the fillets to the fuselage, don't sweat it if there are minor gaps with the airfoil. Sand a nice concave shape into the fillets and spackle the kerfs. Now to perfect the fit between the fillets and the airfoil, butter the bottom of the fillets with Bondo and screw the fuselage back down to the wing. I think it is worth the extra work on some planes to add fillets and if you prep the wood with balsarite, the covering will stick nicely to the fillets with low heat.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
combatpigg

The first steps to rebuild the fuselage have been taken. Old fashioned measuring and drafting took about an hour. This was the easy part......

Name:	Qn38280.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	894369  
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM
combatpigg

Here is the fuselage plug in progress. I thought cedar would be easy to work with....it's almost too easy and tends to tear. I had better luck in years past with plain old hemlock or Douglas fir. The fillets are balsa tri-stock and wood dough. The next step is spackle some dings, then a few polyurethane coats to build up a hard, smooth surface.

Name:	Ec88953.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	895244  
Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
newtech

Piggy,
Find your nearest Woodcraft store and give them a call. They carry tools for wood carvers and will be able to tell you which lumber yards carry Bass wood. If you can find the right specialty lumber yard you will be able to buy bass wood in any size planks you want. It is by far one of the best woods to use for carving plugs. It is what wood carvers use for all of their fine detail carving. In years past ,when controlline speed was popular, bass wood was the wood of choice for the top halves of the fuselages. I will try to get a picture of my F-22 Rapter plug posted later today.

I will be vacuum bagging your Sky Terrier fuselage later this week. Will do a build thread on it.

If you really get into this, stop by your Woodcraft store and buy a set of Swiss Made wood carving tools. One of the best things I did was to take a wood carving night class at our local high school.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM
combatpigg

That's good advice, Steve. After reading your post I'm wondering if the balsa fillets will survive seperation or want to become one with the mold?
Looking back on how I did things in the past, the fillets were made from hardwood and I used bondo exclusively for touch ups on the wood work.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
newtech

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

That's good advice, Steve. After reading your post I'm wondering if the balsa fillets will survive seperation or want to become one with the mold?
Looking back on how I did things in the past, the fillets were made from hardwood and I used bondo exclusively for touch ups on the wood work.
If you remember back to my original build thread for the Sky Terrier my plug was coverall covered balsa and finished with clear dope and a final finish of black lacquer. The plug gave up its life for the greater good of the mold (I stuck it). Since the final finish was lacquer, copious amounts of lacquer thinner finally cleaned up the mold so well you couldn't tell there were any problems. Just don't use anything harder than balsa wood wedges to split the plug from the mold. As long as your final finish is lacquer, lacquer thinner is your friend here. After your plug is ready to make the mold from spend two to three days applying coats of Johnson Paste Wax and buffing it out. I usually go with four to six coats each day for three days. Johnson's Paste Wax is the only parting agent I use. It is pure Carnuba wax and works great. When making molds I don't use polyvinyl alcohol but I do use it when making parts up in one of my molds.

I only use West Systems epoxy with their fast hardener, Can't comment on anything other West Systems. Also mix in either red or black pigment into the first coat of epoxy on the plug. Lets you see that you have good coverage and gives a good surface for your mold.

You can get all of your epoxy, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc. from either Wicks Aircraft http://www.wicksaircraft.com or Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com
Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for the advice and the links, Steve. I hope to see an improvement over the built up balsa route. This kind of plane would be easy to package as a kit, too bad kits aren't more popular. A few major sheet balsa parts, ply firewall, glass fuse and plastic cowl and canopy.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
DeviousDave

This post may be of use to you CP: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1%2F2A+Sliver

let me know if I can help you with your mold.

ETA: I think I read yesterday that you plan on making a carbon fuse.... If you do that, you will need to sink the antenna in the wing or the fuse will shield it and your radio won't work.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 AM
RocketRob

Nice link Dave!

CP and Dave, Man you guys have Way to much free time on your hands - Youze guys need a hobby!

CP, I'm jonesin' to see you build up one of your wings!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
combatpigg

RR, I just placed an order with Sig for 1/4" contest grade. The original build thread from 3+ years ago might have an entry about how the wing was built? The wing has 5/8" dihedral under each wingtip and there is a full depth spruce spar that goes about 8" into each wing panel. There is some glass work in the middle 2 or 3 inches, top and bottom......plus a couple of dowel chunks to support the wing hold down screws. The original had the front of the wing doweled to the forward bulkhead, but that arrangement loosened up. A pair of sheetrock screws biting into 5/32" ply gives me more peace of mind now.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 AM
RocketRob

Sweet Heysus CP, are you building a bridge? How are you going to fold that one?

Am i reading this correctly is the finished wing 1/4" thick or do you double up the flat stock?

I'm surprised the dowel/bulkhead loosened up. Did the dowls in the wing get loose or did the holes in the bulkhead wallow out?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 AM
combatpigg

RR, the wing is carved from a single sheet, I leave the bottom flat. The first models' forward wing mount pin was made from a high temper aluminum mounted in a hardwood block on the wing and it was pretty strong. It slid into an aluminum tube that was buried in a chunk of plywood that was attached to the tank compartment bulkhead. This is what worked loose. After seeing the plane in flight and a few bad launches it is a wonder that it held up as well as it did. A lot of the damage to the plane was from fuel soaking too. Over 100 flights stretched over to it's 4th season, the plane is a reminder of how quick time goes by.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Japanman

Gee Pigg, is it that long?
One thing I have found to greatly improve the lifespan of the covered foam wings I make, is putting in a 1.2mm carbon rod at the leading edge. With a balsa wing this might be an easy do, and I bet it will help the leading edge stand up to grass stalks and sticks at landing.

J.M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.