Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A society

Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A society

Ok, tangerine-jack and I have decided to try and put together a 1/2A society. Something along the lines of the other special-interest groups in our hobby.

We're going to need a web page, mission statements, an organisational framework, as well as contributions in the form of photos, tech articles, some free plans, all sorts of stuff.

My main limiting factor is that I'm more of an idea-guy myself, I don't have the tech savvy to put together a web page and there are many more qualified than I am for technical articles and so forth. We're going to need all the help we can get, any CONSTRUCTIVE input is welcome.

I have Yahoo, under the same user name...and of course you can PM me. Seems to me that we need to hammer out a mission statement first, but keep in mind I have no real idea what I'm doing so if there are more experienced people out there now is the time to step up!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
tangerine-jack

Default RE: 1/2A society

I concure. And the reason is that neither Obama nor McCain will creat a 1/2A preservation society. It truly is up to us to do this for ourselves. I have vast experience in plans and operations, managing correspondence, structuring meetings and other desk jockey things. I am not in a position to be an executive sort of leader, but I can put together the nuts and bolts of the operation.

I have contacted the AMA already with the idea and I'm waiting for a response from the powers to be. We don't need the AMA of course to do this, but it only makes sense to incorporate them into whatever we create.

This comes from the concept of being part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Any techies out there that can help with a web page please step forward. I take no credit for the creation of any society to come of this nor am I an authority to say yea or nay to any ideas. This is for all of us.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
digital_trucker

I agree with t-j's position on this, I am not seeking glory or recognition. I'm merely trying to promote micro engine flight. To that end, I propose the following name for our society:

I.M.E.S. International Micro Engine Society

The only requirement being the use of internal combustion engines of any type or configuration, providing no individual cylinder exceeds .09 c.i.d.
The mission is to preserve our small engine heritage, and to promote further innovation.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Larry Driskill

like S.M.A.L.L. ?

except with AMA recognition?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
digital_trucker

Similar, but limited strictly to the above proposition...AMA recognition would be fairly necessary, I think....along the lines of IMAA IMAC, SAM, and so on.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The domain 'imes.com' is not available but 'intmes.com is available. Any other suggested domains?

Some alternatives are

IntMicroEngine.com or .org

IntMicroEngineSoc.com or .org

Add your other suggestions

I can register and host if wanted.

To check availability of a name go to

www.directnic.com search page.

Jim H
Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
digital_trucker

I only tossed out that name as inspiration, other suggestions are welcome!

I see 'imesoc.com/.net/,org' are available, but let's hammer down the name of the actual society first.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know one thing, the term "1/2A" means nothing to anybody but us. The name depends on your target audience.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
digital_trucker

That was why I thought it might be better to NOT include the term '1/2A' in the name of the society, the better to include .010, .020, .061, .074, etc.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I like the idea, but what's wrong right here, is it too corperate? Or is it because some people here are in disagreeance with most on this fourm and causing problems.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
digital_trucker

Just trying to become recognized, trying NOT to be relegated to the dustbin.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 PM
combatpigg

The name needs to be simple, descriptive, clever and easy to remember. It also needs to be fairly unique. Tall order.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ses Alpha Ad Finitum
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
combatpigg

OK "Socrates", what does that mean?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
tangerine-jack

Planebuilder, there is nothing wrong with this forum, in fact it is a great tool for all of us. We don't always agree on everything and that can be good, but the society was not thought up as a result of any disatisfaction from the forum, rather as a logical step in the preservation of the hobby. The 1/2A society would be able to generate more of a public interest in our archaic sport in the form of newsletters, mall shows, table space at the NATS etc. With enough members it would be possible (in theory) to convince a manufaturer to produce glow engine reproductions or other useful items. If nothing else we can have a place to preserve artifacts, information and history of 1/2A and maybe a cool t-shirt or hat.

The name for the group is important, as well as the scope of which engines will count as being a "true" 1/2A. These things should be decided upon fairly early as it will set the tone for much else to come. Havng a nod from the AMA is important, I would very much like to have a "legit" stamp and oversight of the organization by a recognized and respected body.

There is much work to do before the organization goes online, but as I stated before I am willing and able to do what is required, but due to my work schedule and frequent travel I cannot hold an executive position. I can organize events, make contacts and perhaps even put together a newsletter, these things I can do even when I am on the road.

I see no reason why it will not work.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
planebuilder66

"Prop-flippers", since were soooo good at it, lots of practice.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
fritzke

MicroNitro?
Dave
Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
eroc144

I applaud both the idea and the moxie needed to make this happen. So now a couple of thoughts from the Program Manager in me:

[ul][*] Go slowly - there's no need to get this up and running tomorrow. In fact...[*] Build for the long haul. eg, Don't just get a domain name and slap up pages. Instead draft a mission statement, identify key strategic areas, and build around them. [*] Create a flowchart that outlines the topic areas and corresponding pages. If you can "see" it you have a better chance of creating it, and your customers will have a better chance of "getting it"[*] The web site name should be something easily understood by non-RCrs - avoid cryptic stuff that only existing 1/2rs will get.[*] meta tags, meta tags, meta tags. Google is your friend! [*] Once all of the above is in place, then chase Corporate sponsorship. Showing them a partially baked idea may work, but more often than not it makes it hard to get the message across and reduces funding.
[/ul]

Just my $0.02

EG
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One ci & down

Under one

Oh six one limit

Up to One

Not Over One.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
digital_trucker

Well, obviously 'true 1/2A' means a displacement between .020 and .050. That's why I suggested I.M.E.S. - it avoids the whole class and competition limitation. Personally, I think it would be a good thing to avoid a serious class system, and avoid serious class-based competition. Something along the lines of the reedie races and suchlike would be fine, but the actual class competition is already covered pretty well in other groups such as SAM and so forth. I think it'd be better to focus more on the sport end of our hobby. I think it might be a good idea to use the IMAA as a model to work off of. You know, 15 years ago or so about all that was available for giant-scale (in the powerplant department, anyway) were essentially modified weedwhacker and chainsaw engines. Look what IMAA has done for giant-scale, why can't our organisation to something similar for .000-.090 size planes?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
planebuilder66

You need a name that makes ALL inquries get a hit, so if I type 1/2A, it pops up, if I type small r/c it pops up, and so on. almost all 1/2A engines have a glowhead, how about "glowheads".
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
planebuilder66

Oh, oh! I got it "The 3 to 7 gang", we all run 3 to 7 inch props, right?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
digital_trucker

eroc - my sentiments exactly, and the entire purpose of this thread! Like I said earlier, I don't have the know-how (or resources) to actually contribute much to the actual DOING of this (although I learn fast). What I *can* contribute are ideas, drive, and passion for the project.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
digital_trucker

I really think it best to avoid a name that references the actual engines, except in the broadest sense. We don't want to give the appearance of being exclusive, we want to come across as INCLUSIVE (as long as the cylinder displacement is small enough, anyway).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

great idea theres nothing wrong on this forum until someone tries to push there electrics on here like they where glow there ok but not is good is glow im just a die hard castor loving nut

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.