Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lil' Rascal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM
LaBam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil' Rascal

So, I got mine in the mail yesterday. And I really like it. It's built extremely well for an ARF of its size. For the most part it has gone together fairly well. However, I noticed last night that the push rod tube for the throttle is on the opposite side from the carburetor on my O.S. .15 LA... It's pretty lame. I don't know how I should run it because the four ounce tank I installed is taking up too much space.[sm=lol.gif] Can anyone help? I really don't want to have to use the two ounce tank.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lil' Rascal

Use the sullivan thin cable, it's classified as very flexable, just keep the sheath covering it as far as you can go without hitting the throttle arm.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not familiar with the OS LA15 but can you switch the carb around 180 degrees? BTW, I think you're talking about the Nitro Rascal which is the one I meant to buy but instead ordered the Lil' Rascal by mistake.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
LaBam

Oh, I've had quite a day. X] I guess there is a rule somewhere that says beware the second of October. I've been in a fender bender, lost my driver's license, and wrote the wrong thing... Today is officially cursed! I meant to say lil' extra. btw
Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LaBam

So, I got mine in the mail yesterday. And I really like it. It's built extremely well for an ARF of its size. For the most part it has gone together fairly well. However, I noticed last night that the push rod tube for the throttle is on the opposite side from the carburetor on my O.S. .15 LA... It's pretty lame. I don't know how I should run it because the four ounce tank I installed is taking up too much space.[sm=lol.gif] Can anyone help? I really don't want to have to use the two ounce tank.
go with the small tank...a 4oz tank will fly a half hour on a .15la...besides deadstickin that floater in should be easy as can be, I have one with a .05 engine on it (in progress) a .15 3 channel plane is gonna fly around 1/2 throttle or less and I had a .15 trainer that would fly 15 minutes on 2 oz and since I had a primarily heli radio it would not cut off by the trim so I had to fly it to empty,,,boring...Rog
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM
LaBam

Flyinrog, I suppose I could give it a try to see if I like the flight time. I think I might settle for a three ounce though. And I'm not sure if I can turn the carb around because of the remote needle, I don't think that I can.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
planebuilder66

Lost you liscense?, how many old ladies did you run down on the way to the hobby shop to buy a throttle cable?, geeze, I'd be scr^%d if I lost mine, I make my living driving from job to job, But unscrew the back plate and rotate it 90 degrees to the left to get it lined up with the fuel input, and yes the line has to do a turn, or you could find a way to turn the input of the carb 180 degrees by taking it apart and finding out how they set it in that direction. I have a .15 LA but it's mounted in the pitts and burried in the cowl, a moth ago I would have checked on how to do it, but it seems so much simpler to bore a new hole and run the new flex cable to the other side, or am I wrong?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 PM
LaBam

I'm telling you, October second is cursed. X] I had too many points against it. I got in a really big accident over the summer. One of my friends that was with me died and another was in the ICU for four days. I only spent two days. A drunk driver ran us off of the interstate... But they still put me at fault. No charges were pressed though and I could barely sleep the entire month of July because I felt so bad about the loss. Long story short, I was one point over the limit... Anyway, I think it would be easier to just run the cable the opposite side. How did you get it to work on your pitts?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
ndb8fxe

I ran into this problem with my little extra. I just drilled new holes and ran the pushrod on the other side.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
planebuilder66

Just drill a hole slightly bigger than the cable on the other side, just mount the engine where it's going to sit in the nose, take a small piece of push rod and put a dab of paint on the end, line it up with the throttle arm and the point where to make the new hole and touch the firewall, paint will make a mark on the firewall and remove the engine, drill hole and slide in the cable assembly, reattach engine and connect linkage. Fill old hole with epoxy and glue sleeve for throttle cable to fire wall if using a cable, for a push rod, glue the bushing sleeve to the firewall, slide rod in and attach. don't forget to rough up the sleeve on the outside where it touches the firewall, so it gets a good bond/grip on the glue.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
flyinrog

get a set of dental tools, they are sharp!! so be careful , but they will bore holes where a drill wont reach, thats how I switched sides for the throttle on my Herr extra...Rog
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
nimitz

Hi all.. Nimitz here.decided to try small planes and got a sig rascal.Went together rather well and am undecided on what motor to use.I`ve read on here[rc universe and elsewhere]the problems with norvel and o61 motors. Don`t want to mess with a motor,just want to fuel up and fly..Does anyone fly a OS 010 on a rascal..That looks like a no nonsense motor to use.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcome..

many thanks and good flying,nimitz
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
planebuilder66

The OS .10is exactly that, no nonsense, just fuel and fly, not a power house, but for the rascal it will be.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 PM
nimitz

Many thanks,planebuilder66. been flying larger models and want something to fly in my backyard.

Have fun whatever you do,nimitz
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a little Rascal with an AP .061. Trying to put a .15 in it is insane!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
nimitz

Aw well,red,it ought to fly really super. I got the 010 in o.k. Went to field last nite and it got dark on me before I got to try it..I had idling trouble with a big plane and had to fly it empty before I could land it..I got a 015 on a superstar eplane and it zips along pretty well..

The best,nimitz

have fun whatevr you do
Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 AM
flyinrog

Well am working on mine this morning , but now I may have to be a float plane so I figure on the OS .10, gonna build it for the .05 Toki to see how it flys,, then add floats and .10 for water at a buds pond...this means I cant dead stick in though...Rog
Old 10-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Mike

I have a little Rascal with an AP .061. Trying to put a .15 in it is insane!
There are two sizes of these planes, the title says Lil' but the thread is about the larger nitro one as I've understood it....
Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
flyinrog

The "lil Rascal" is electric with a 20~ inch wing I think,,mine is the "nitro Rascal" for the .061 with a 4 foot span...so to add a .10la and floats should be a good combo...Rog
Old 10-19-2008, 01:49 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It will probably fall apart. It is not built for the power of a .15. If you want a speedster, why pick on a Rascal?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Mike

It will probably fall apart. It is not built for the power of a .15. If you want a speedster, why pick on a Rascal?
So will my .05 toki fly it ok?...Rog
Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 PM
nimitz

Hay,rog..You ain`t lived till you land on wet grass or better yet floats on snow. Be prepared to run when on snow. It`s like skating on ice. It will go where it wants to..On rain it will have some control on landing on floats..

been there an done that,nimitz
Old 10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
flyinrog

We dont get much snow or ice down here..the occasional ice storm will shut down the whole county!! for a few days,,have seen it snow enough to close the schools then be 70 after lunch....Rog
Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 AM
flyinrog

Ok, she's ready for test flights this week..hope the .05 will fly it ok...Rog
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 PM
flyinrog

Just ran a tank out on my sidewalk, that Toki engine fires like a norvel...it ran about 8 minutes on a 1oz tank wide open and somewhat rich,,,two minutes into the run my throttle came undone so the whole tank went full bore, and that big head cooled down really quick..batt is dead in the tach so no numbers and the thrust wasnt spectacular with the 6 x 3 apc on it (thanks Ray) but I think it will fly it ok, will find out wed I think...Rog