Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

S.M.A.L.L. Fun Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: S.M.A.L.L. Fun Fly

Is AMA required to fly? I may be laid off and would make the trip on my bike....
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes !! AMA is required !! But come on anyway and Ill tell um Ima Trainin ya !! Dale

and Oh by the way its exit # 7 off I-530, I dont usually go to the feild that way but did today just to make sure !!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM
LittleRock

Come on down!! There will be plenty of planes to fly if you can't bring any. If you want you can ship them to my house for storage. Several of the out of state guys do this.

Steve Staples
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
DeviousDave

Well, it's official. I've got the summer off.. aaand maybe then some.

You guys sure do make it hard to make a feller refuse!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 AM
LittleRock

The time is drawing near. Are you planning on attending this year??
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: LittleRock

The time is drawing near. Are you planning on attending this year??
Actually, I am. I spoke with two friends about it this week but will come alone if I have to. I really want to visit SMALL before it becomes just another electric meet. I like electric flying too but I missed the glory days of the early SMALL fly-ins from the sounds of it. It takes a certain kind of kindred spirit to fly 1/2A and that is missing in the electric world.

This week has been a real mixed bag, busy with construction on my place up north, the news of my job loss, sister had a miscarriage, friend had a baby, trying to get my ducks in a row for the coming months. Everything will be ok, and I am relishing the chance to finally get the opportunity to go to SMALL. Too many years of my life were spent working 7 days, when things slowed down last year and we went from 70 to 32 hours I learned quickly to prefer the freedom to the money. In a few years I may be back to the grindstone, I really want to use this opportunity.

I just wish it were a few years sooner so I could have had the chance to meet Randy Randolph.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 AM
LittleRock

Good to hear you are going to make it down. Again, don't worry if you cannot bring much to fly. There will be plenty! Had a call from some folks in Orlando FL that are going to make the trip up. Although Randy is no longer with us Joe Wagner will be there. He and Randy started the SMALL movement. I fly mostly glow and diesel, some electric. This year there should be more wet fuel planes than last year.
See you in Little Rock,
Steve Staples
Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
DeviousDave

Is there any water on site? Camping?

I really didn't want to drive my minivan down and wanted to ride, a long ride this weekend told me that my @$$ would be sore and I'd be too beat up to enjoy myself unless I got there early enough to recuperate. 14 hours on a dual sport or sport bike is just asking too much of my at my age. Back when I was young and dumb I rode from Detroit to Seattle and spent a day or two just to get my ears to stop ringing!

If I did ride I could still bring one airplane (have to make a box) strapped to the luggage rack, but I'd rather be able to bring a few airplanes and be comfortable. I love to backpack camp and would stay at the field if I could, just need to know if it's ok and if there will be water on site to cook with.

Can anyone post directions to the field, or preferrably a mapquest view that I can plug GPS coordinates to?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM
DeviousDave

Is this the field?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04764&t=h&z=18
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
LittleRock

Your field location is correct. Immediately west of the field (150') you can camp. There is water available. Several of the guys ship their planes to my house ahead of the event. If you want to do this let me know. Glad you are making the trek. Let me know if you need anything.

Steve Staples

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
DeviousDave

Thanks for the offer of receiving my planes for me. Got a bit of a complicated situation with that in that:

I'm laid off so I'd rather take my bike than minivan
Minivan has funny noises coming from the front end, am taking to a mechanic friend for a repair and clean bill of health tomorrow
Cost of mailing the airplanes would be the difference in price of gas
Really don't want to ride either of my two freeway legal bikes, one has a vinyl brick for a seat, the other's tire won't make it there and replacement is a $220 proposition. No room for a backpack either on that one.
I was told/asked by two friends that I should take their airplanes down to show off if I decide to drive, would not feel comfortable shipping other people's airplanes-flying them is enough risk!
If I take the bike, I'll build a box but am limited to one or two airplanes. If I drive, I can take a bunch and charge them at the field without having to rely on good sun for solar charging.

Pretty well settles it, I'm gonna have to drive. If something changes, I'll let you know. Is there anyplace around I can find all castor 1/2A fuel, or am I better off ordering here? I'm almost out of the 'good stuff' I use in my .010 ship and need more. I've got plenty of Norvel fuel, just don't want to run it in my Cox engines.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 AM
LittleRock

Fuel is available here. I use Sig 25% and then add some castor. I can get some for you if needed. There will be food and porta potties at the field. Electricity and water is on site. Be careful driving down.

Steve Staples

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
DeviousDave

I'd appreciate it if you could get fuel for me. None of the local shops carry all castor fuel and won't order for me unless it goes with their seasonal bulk order due to HAZMAT fees. I don't think I could mail order any for myself and have it in hand by the time I need to leave.

Van got a clean bill of health yesterday, just needed an outer tie rod and has a loose motor mount (no biggie). Gotta get crackin'!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
LittleRock

Your fuel awaits your arrival.

Steve

Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
DeviousDave

Wow, Thanks!![8D]
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Steve, can I work out a TD .020 fuel price by tankful with you?..

Here is a blast from the SMALL Steps past....long time Small steppers will recognize my good buddies EdKocialski's 65" B-2 bomber, powered by blazing Black Widow .049 power.... Ed built this in late 1988 or early 1989, right when the B-2 went white world

Ed was not much of an event go-er, so it usually fell to me to bring it along to the Little Rock and Dallas Small events, in the 90s. I bet it made it to at leasta dozen of them. Our late buddy Don Downing managed to whack it in windy conditions one year when I could not make it to the event..

It is nice to note that Ed produced what has proven to be the very first flyable B-2 model, using the venerable Black Widow.

Ed scaled his model using that very first publicly released overhead photo shot of the real B-2 that appeared in Av Week. He had is flying at the same time the first real one flew...

the other pic has both Eds B-2 and Don Downings original A-12 Avenger II1/20 scale 1/2A pusher model, also Black Widow powered.....Don's A-12 made it to at least a couple or three SMALL events as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62184.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1208949   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42898.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1208950  
Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
LittleRock

Tom,

I have the B-2 on video from back then. Also have some SMALL video of you and your son. Did you know he used to be a little kid?

Paul, Park and I flew today to test a few things. Paul and Park had great success. I am repairing as we speak. All is well and will be ready for next weekend.

Bring on the glow enginesI am armed with fuel and will gladly supply this and a battery for the plug at no charge.

Bringing anything new???

Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Thomas B

I'd like to see the video from Maumelle....I was thinking that had to be about 1999 or so, right? Son Scott is all grown up now and is in the Navy, on the USS Wasp, and doing air traffic control.

The .020 Wedge will be there for sure.

Richard Ng and I have a number of maidens of new models for SMALL planned for tomorrow......I fear they are all electric, but some classic 1/2A models are in there as conversions. Assuming any carnage is light to none, they will all be at SMALL.

Diehard 1/2A glow types will likely not want to read some of the following...they might get a bit ill...

Richard has at least an RBC Flying Flea, a remaiden ofhis Rainbow Autogryo with new blades, an Exceed F-35 and and something else, I think.

I have ready to maiden (or will by tomorrow afternoon) a new RBC Spitfire 1 (E-flite Power 15, 3S 2350s), a venerabe Cox foam RF-5 Sportavia converted from .049 glow to electric and best of all,a special model in honor of Joe Wagner, who I sure hope will be there again this year...a vintage Veco Dakota sport F/F bipe (Mine was actually the later Dumas kit), finished in clear dope and converted to small electric stuff. I built this model about 15 years back, but never got around to installing a motor and flying it as a free flight. I slipped in a couple of BMS 303 4.3 gram micro servos, a fairly hot little Elemotor outrunner and a 10 am ESC....seems to have lots of power on just 2S and a 4.5" prop.

Still hope to have ready by the middle of the week a refurbished EAM Dh 88 Comet recently picked up at a swap meet and hopefully my new Windrider BD-5J foamie EDF model.

Other models that I will haveatSMALL not seen there beforeinclude the Hobby Lobby Waco YKS-6, the BH SR-71 twin EDF, an Exceed F-35, an Electri-fly L-39 with a power upgrade, a profile Depron B-70 originally built but never flown by Park Fleming, purchased by Richard Ng and traded offto me...then I outfitted it and it turns out to be a very nice little flyer!....
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thomas... You have been one busy "B"... See Ya Thursday.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the planets are going to line up and allow me to attend S.M.A.L.L. this year. I'm stoked! I'll bedriving up Thursday from the TX coast. Staying at the Days Inn. Bringing 6glows and 1 lecky. I would have tried harder to finish a few more projects to bring if I had known that I'd be going. Oh, well. Is there any shade available at the field? I don't think I have roomto bringmy EZ Up canopy. Really looking forward to meeting some of you guys there.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Thomas B

There is usually a lot of shade there and all the SMALL Steppers are always glad to share. There is some permanent shade on the field as well. I will have a large silver tinted old style shade...feel free to get out out of the sun any time there.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
LittleRock

I will have four 10 x 10 canopies. Combined with Tom's shelter I believe you can find a spot.

I am also bringing a TV and video player so the old SMALL tapes can be played.

I'm already getting tired.

Steve

Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Tee Bee

Thanks, fellas. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 AM
DeviousDave

spent until 10:30pm covering a JMP Penetrator for electric power, hope to maiden it tomorrow or tues. If I can find some HS55's I'll bring one of those too, also needs test flown. If I get the time I'll finish a radio install on the BeeTween while tweaking some of the little guys. Still haven't had a chance to try a different tank in the .010 Yellowjacket.

So many planes, so little time. I'm planning to leave on Thurs.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Tee Bee

I understand. Looks like I'm working overtime until just before I leave for LR. I guess I'll be prepping planes and charging batteries at the last minute. Hope to meet ya there, DD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.