Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

is there any incedence on a big stick

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

is there any incedence on a big stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
hewismayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there any incedence on a big stick

Does any one know if a big or an ultra stick has any incidence on the main wing? I have designed a stick 25 size for an OS 20 I had kicking around. The plane has 52 in wing and is 45 in long weighs 2lb 15 oz. and has a wing loading of 13.8oz per square foot. I gave the wing 2 deg incidence. I guess I should have asked before I built it and I canā€™t fly it because itā€™s -12 out with a 30mph wind. On the pictures of an ultra stick it looks like it has some. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: is there any incedence on a big stick

Most of the 'Stick' designs have a few degrees of positive incedence. As I recall though, the original Kraft Ugly Stick had none.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
hewismayer

thanks. I built a ultra spad stick it has none but its a non Symmetrical air foil. This plane is thats why i gave it some. But i wasn't sure. I won't know until i go inverted. i guess i should have asked before i built it. again thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95653.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1140897  
Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi
I love a stick! They are classics for very good reasons. As I understand the definiton of a stick is 0 degrees incident on both the
wing/ tail and motor.
Of course if there is a variation in the foil used, such as is common with Spads, a little compensation is a good idea.
One of my best flying buds is completing an Ultra Spad Stick at our weekly club build session. Looks like a winner to me.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wee dunn nee no steenkeeng inceedincezz........and if wee doo, wee chust yooz a playeeng card under the weeng
Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 PM
hewismayer

your friend will love the ultra spad stick. The 28cc or 31 cc fly great. But the more power the better they fly 38cc is a good size.

I found plans for the kraft ugly stick and there is no incidence. but the big stick looks like there is some. I don't think a few deg will make much differnce. Untill you are inverted then you will need more down elevator i think any way. we are having a snow storm to day so i cant fly for a few days and glow engines don't like the cold. i found out.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Big Al-RCU

Oddly enough Phil Kraftā€™s original plan did show a tiny bit (1/2 of one degree) positive incidence. This article and plan were published in the May-June 1966 Grid Leaks. The Jensen kit (and I believe later published plans) show 0-0.

Other changes to the kit plan are the deletion of the cowl, pilot, dummy machine gun, and show a sheet vs. built-up vertical fin. Also the kit plan added dihedral to Philā€™s flat wing. Otherwise, itā€™s pretty much a dead ringer.

Note that ā€˜Stikā€™ in the plan title block is spelled with a ā€˜Cā€™ i.e., ā€˜Stickā€™, but is referred to as ā€˜Stikā€ throughout the article.

For what itā€™s worth,
al

Name:	Xv63320.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1142591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30144.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1142592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96432.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1142593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42037.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1142594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73464.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1142595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23655.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1142596  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM
hewismayer

Hay thatā€™s great! The pictures you posted are great. I wish I researched this before I made the plane. My plans are almost identical but a smaller scale because my design is a 25 size. I made the plane from scrap balsa I had from old jobs. The covering I had kicking around the radio ext. the plane cost me 20 dollars to build so no great loss. If it not a good flyer. I donā€™t think 2deg is too much. I have trainers with 6 deg but they donā€™t fly upside down to well. Thank you for the info pictures and time.

Name:	Lj21821.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1142622  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
hewismayer

Well got a chance to go to the field yesterday, and it was soggy and wet. I got a soaker doing a range check. I also had a bad glow plug. Once I got that fixed off she went, had to trim it out a little, but once I did that it flew great. The controls where touchy, but once I got used to it, it was ok. The FP 20, is an older version of the LA, and is not the most powerful thing, but it good enough for most stunts. When inverted, you just need a little down, hardly anything on the stick. No surprises when taking off or landing. In my books a good fun airplane and can be left assembled in the car, only way to make it better is make it electric. This is a picture of the plane next to my brothers 25 pulse.

Name:	Ay75520.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1189450