Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to.........

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What ever happened to.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: What ever happened to.........

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Congratulations Bruce! So now they're paying you not to work.........so please explain to us how anything is different?
Now that's just plain ol' hitting below the belt.... It's TRUE but you didn't have to TYPE it ! And don't worry, we'll make sure you get a trophy included with the decal..... :evilgrin

Bipe, a "1/2A Design Nontest" sounds like the perfect term.

Guys, when we've done these things in the past the designs were varied enough that they pretty much defied classification. Also there's few enough of us that there just isn't enough numbers to run it with anything more than a popular vote "overall favourite" without having one model in each classification. But then someone like Tim comes along with home made engines and tromps the field. Nope, if we're going to do this again I'd have to say let's just not have any sort of award at all. It should be reward enough that we come out of it with a new original design model and that we have plans to share with the community so that others can also benefit..... except CP who'll be getting his own "Special" trophy..... :evilgrin

And in terms of this having enough time to design and build and still deal with the usual pressures of working life for most of you I'd say let's make it a 4 month run.

So who would be up for such a Nontest? If we can see a show of half a dozen or so hands it's time for a new sticky thread and let's run with it.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the way you laid it out, Bruce. We've done this enough times to know what works.

Do you guys want me to host a site again? It would be nice to keep everything together with previous years. Also, we could do shirts through Cafepress like last time, using whatever Bruce comes up with for a logo.

Decals for completion is a neat idea. Simple and a nice reward for finishing, in addition to having a new model of course.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone - Andy, I think - mentioned keeping it to .061's or less. Does that sound ok with everyone? How about .09? It doesn't really matter to me, but, I do have a rebuilt Enya .09 that I've been wanting to use in something. I have a NIB Norvel .049 r/c I can use if we keep it at .061.

David
Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll do it; I have two 1/2A designs staring at me impatianetly waiting to be prototyped and one of them has to get done in that time. And I have something I could enter now if I fixed a couple of booboos. So I don't think I'm setting myself up for a no-show.

If we say .061 or less, will the lucky .074 owners protest? They count more as overgrown 1/2A's than small .10's, don't they?

Mike D
Old 06-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Japanman

I would be in favor of the engine sizes being up to the builder. We all know what sizes we talk about here on the forum, so why not leave it at that.
S
Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
BMatthews

Emblem? Me? Come up with?.... ulp..... uh........ok........ *Bruce looks furtively side to side looking for the damned exit to make a break and sees none. A flood of sweat bursts forth on his forehead from the adrenaline rush that comes to any cornered animal faced with mortal fear.....*

Bipe, you're sort of digging yourself in on the shirt issue. If you don't mind doing it then great. Mind you I suppose we aren't talking about huge numbers of folks but still.......

If I can see two or three more "good idea, I'm in" posts I'll start up an official Nontest thread.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in just as soon as I see what the trophy is gonna be......
Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 PM
BMatthews

I'll fix ya.... It'll be a perpetual trophy and you'll either have to win it every year or suffer the indignation of sending it off to a new holder...... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahaha... ha.. ha....... *cough... cough.... wheeeeeeeeeeeze cough, cough*.... hahahahahahahaha... ha... ha... ha.... heh... he... *

Damn but it's hard to sound Evil when you can't "MUHAHA" properley.....
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Emblem? Me? Come up with?.... ulp..... uh........ok........ *Bruce looks furtively side to side looking for the damned exit to make a break and sees none. A flood of sweat bursts forth on his forehead from the adrenaline rush that comes to any cornered animal faced with mortal fear.....*

Bipe, you're sort of digging yourself in on the shirt issue. If you don't mind doing it then great. Mind you I suppose we aren't talking about huge numbers of folks but still.......

If I can see two or three more "good idea, I'm in" posts I'll start up an official Nontest thread.

Sorry Bruce, I thought you had volunteered to make a logo and decals. Maybe it was just decals.

The shirts and stuff at Cafepress are a piece of cake to set up for sale. Just upload the logo and select the products. Shirts are made to order for each customer and nobody here has to collect money. I've had my BlackFlight stuff on there for years. http://www.cafepress.com/blackflight The store I set up for the old contest is still up if you want to take a look. http://www.cafepress.com/12A_Challenge
Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Damn but it's hard to sound Evil when you can't "MUHAHA" properley.....
Geezervil? JK
Old 06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
BMatthews

Bipe, frankly I hadn't thought that far ahead when I typed the idea. Your post just made the reality hit home I'll give 'er a go and see what I can manage.

Geezervil?..... OK, YOU'RE NOW OFFICIALLY ON THE POOP LIST AS WELL ! ! ! ! !

Durn young whippersnappers...... Jus don' git no 'spect no mo'.....
Old 06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
johnvb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in. I've got so many small diesels looking at me to do something. [&:]
Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

I'd sure like to join the non-test, but it seems like a commitment...

What is the engine limit, and time frame?? Do we need reproducible plans, or just a flying model? The only computer drawing program I've used lately is Google's Sketchup.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
rainedave

Larsen, download a free trial copy of Deltacad. It's super, super easy to learn and use:

http://www.deltacad.com/demo.html

Maybe we should start a new thread, with an appropriate title for the event. The first post can lay out the guidelines and deadline, etc.

David
Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks Dave!

Seems like flight by Halloween might be appropriate!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: LaCerne

Thanks Dave!

Seems like flight by Halloween might be appropriate!
Gimme a Sleek Streek and there's a 50/50 chance I'll have it done by then..

MJD
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Cross Check

Hi Guys,

Sounds like fun to me.

Perfect excuse to finally meet up and fly with MJD.

I'll build something around a 35 yr old Honker wing. Cox 'product' .049

The hardest part will be coming up with an original name for it !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
small_rcer

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Larsen, download a free trial copy of Deltacad. It's super, super easy to learn and use:

http://www.deltacad.com/demo.html

Maybe we should start a new thread, with an appropriate title for the event. The first post can lay out the guidelines and deadline, etc.

David

An alternative source for CAD software is http://softwareblowouts.com/ and search on CAD

You can usually find a version of TurboCad for less than $20.00

Jim H

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
newtech

ORIGINAL: Japanman

I would be in favor of the engine sizes being up to the builder. We all know what sizes we talk about here on the forum, so why not leave it at that.
S
Engine size up to the builder? COOL. I just finished my latest build and flew it this past Wednesday. This one has kept me so busy I haven't had much time to participate in this group. Hopefully I can now spend more time playing around in your sandbox.

With the engine limit removed this does qualify doesn't it?
[link]http://www.newtech.com/n14se/Steve First Flight 015.jpg[/link]
It is only 360 cubic inches
Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
combatpigg

Congratulations Steve! What an achievement! Keep 'er locked up, a hear Skaliwag just got his wings.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
BMatthews

That is SWEET Newtech.... but sadly I don't think it really qualifies unless that's a GI Joe doll you got dressed up in those coveralls....

LaCerne, there's no technical need to have reproducable plans. But if you can that would be great. And even some hand sketches in pencil qualify as long as you can scan them in and the key measurements are included.

Halloween as a cut off may not be a bad idea at all. That would give us a bit more time considering that it's Summer and we've all got some holiday commitments. But it's early enough that we can fly our creations before the first snow.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
combatpigg

Well, I've got my plane picked out. Ever since I saw that LazyBee video, you know....the one with the 4 stroke and crankshaft almost ready to fall out, I've wanted something like that. I've got a PAW .15 that I put a AP .061 carb on. A plane like I imagine might end up needing a .40 on it to be real sporty, but it's always fun to see what you can get away with.

Whatever happened to... DBRONK? Hope he's OK. In his short time here, he had quite a lot to show and quite a lot to say.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
AndyW

I think Dave got put off by my surprise at the guys who balked at the cost of turbo plugs in the how to turbo thread. Sorry Dave, never meant it the way it came across.

We've been lucky that entrepreneurship has solved the problem of plugs for 1/2A for the time being.

About engine size. What about twins or tri-motors or four engine bombers? I always disagreed with SMALL when they declared that as long as the engine displacement was under a .25, no matter how many engines you ran, it was SMALL. Well, a four engined .25 B17 isn't small. If that same plane was modeled to take four engines who's combined displacement was .25 and under, Now we would have a reasonably small aircraft. Such as the Spruce Goose powered by 8 TD .010s
Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 PM
newtech

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Congratulations Steve! What an achievement! Keep 'er locked up, a hear Skaliwag just got his wings.
I am only 2 hours into the 40 hour phase 1 flyoff period before I can carry passengers. Should have my 40 hours flown off in a few weeks; so, if you are ever in the Midwest give me a shout and we will go out and burn up some sky at 200 mph. Skaliwag, as long as you re not packing you're welcome too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60090.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1227176  
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
skaliwag

Pretty airplane... I can see you are very proud of your baby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.