Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My Delta Racer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Malgera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Delta Racer

Hi,

I just thought I'd show you my little Delta wing racer.

It's got a 47cm wingspan, and when ready to fly weighs 225g. I run mine with a cox engine with the large built in fuel tank.
It can be used with the standard sized cox built on tank. I have also flown it with a OK Cub engine as the mounting holes are the same.
I have no tried it yet, but I'm sure it have a sure start engine on it with a little tank, like the 'perfect' brand tank in it.

If anyone is interested in some prototype kits I'm making, just PM for the details.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt56798.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1344959   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz79254.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1344960   Click image for larger version

Name:	xv65704.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1344961   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95565.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1344962  
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: My Delta Racer

Nice looking plane. I'd like to know how you make out on its flying abilities. Keep us posted....Gene
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Malgera

Thanks!

I should have said I have not tried this plane with a sure start engine. I have another one ready to roll with a .061 Norvel in it and a 30ml tank (1 ounce) which should be super fast

The plane flies very well, Its nice and fast. has an amazing roll rate and has good verticle performance, not unlimited, but its very good for a cox powered plane.
Once you hear the engine starting to run out of fuel its best to gain some height, it glides a bit, but not for too long. although i have overshot the runway a fair few times as sometimes it glides real well.

I think one of the coolest things about this plane is its durability, it can handle some pretty violent crashes and come out fine, or in worse cases with minimum damage.

At the moment, I have the servos mounted in the wings, and just use a small piece of clear packing tape over them to keep the oil out. which works well.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks a lot like a Blink. Can you provide basic dimensions and tip and root templates? I like the natural color.

andrew
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I like the herringbone wing-sheeting, that seems to be a good way to cover a delta.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Malgera

This plane was inspired by the blink, but i found the blink to be too delicate. I would spend heaps of time making planes the conventional rib and stringer way, only to damage it on a rough landing. I do most of my flying in rough paddocks on a farm. So I tried making a foam plane, which worked well, but i wanted it to have a more solid feeling to it, so i made another one and sheeted it in 1mm balsa, and covered it in dope. I flew the first one for about a 3 weeks everyday, usually about 10 flights a day. in this time the plane suffered minor damage after crashing through trees, wire fences, hard dried up cow dung, and of course, the ground. It had 2 occasions where i had to make repairs. the first time where i nose dived from about 15 meters high into the ground at full throttle. I just pushed the firewall back into position, filled it up with CA and off i went. And another time where after landing i picked up the plane by its tail/rudder and it came off, so I put CA back on that and it was good to go again.

I don't have any templates, its all in my head, which is probably not the best place to keep things...

I've made a sort of jig which i can run my hotwire over and come out with the basic shape, then i spend a bit of time sanding everything into shape.

The wing is 47cm wide and about 32cm in length. The foam core starts out at 13mm thick, and the tips end up about 4mm thick.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

That certainly is a sweet delta you have there , I wish I could build one like it. I may have to bug you for some more details on how you built it..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Great looking plane!

You Australians can do good work when you lay off the beer for a couple hours or so.......
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Malgera

Thanks for the comments.

combatpigg, you are correct, its got something to do with concentration or something, im not sure, i was never any good at it.

I've been building a few per week for people. If anyone wants I can check what overseas postage would cost to ship some over. It's pretty light so I would assume it shouldnt be too much.
But you know what they say about if you assume, It will make an ass out of you and me!

I've changed the design a little bit by extending the compartment to the tail, I've done this on one ive built with a norvel in it, so its got room for a sullivan 1 ounce tank. And you could probably make it electric too if thats how you roll. A tin tank would be better though i think, because those sullivan tanks weigh 30g/1 ounce by themselves!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

..... an amazing roll rate..... yeah, I can see that....

A slick little design you did. Too small for my aging eyes but for the folks that can keep their perspective of it while flying I'll bet it's a huge grin.

A little hint for any of you that want to try cutting foam cores for something like this. On a delta wing with this high a taper ratio you can fix the end of the hot wire in a screw eye and hold the other end using a wood dowel toggle handle. Then power up the wire and pull while passing the wire around a single template. The geometry of the setup determines the taper for both span and thickness nicely. Back when I fiddled around with foam for a couple of months I cut out a couple of sets of delta wings and even "Extra" type higher tapered wings using this single point method. Works pretty good as long as you don't go too fast and keep the right amount of tension on the wire. A lot easier than trying to match the % of travel and cut such a highly tapered wing with a regular bow.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Jaspur_x

I have one of these , but got ahead of myself with it. I hadn`t accounted for not having radio that can do elevon mixing. I guess I will have to go with the third servo on rails to do the elevator mixing function or else do seperate control surfaces.
Which do you guys think would work better on this particular ship?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Use one of these they work much better.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=NBA06110
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
SGC

Jasper , you can buy elevon mixer units , they have 2 leads that plug into your receiver channels and 2 servo out put ports(pin sets) to plug your servos into.
For a mechanical mixer you only need 2 servos , 1 is the aileron servo , which is moveable , with a second fixed servo for the elevator - it swings /sliders the aileron servo.
A simple dirty(easy) method is to use a nylon door hinge of suitable size, one side screws to the fuselarge the other has the aileron servo mounted to it, the elevator servo swings the hinge/servo , works quite well
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Cool plane, I'm partial to deltas.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:16 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Great looking plane!

You Australians can do good work when you lay off the beer for a couple hours or so.......
they have any Irish heritage ?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Jaspur_x

I have never heard of a mixer like that , but it is exactly what I need for this little bird , thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Jaspur,
I have a couple - let me know if you need one - we can trade or something.
Dale
Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Jaspur_x

Thanks Dale , I just ordered from that posted link last night , and thanks to soarich for making it simple to decide what to do about this.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Jaspur_x

I still havn`t gotten my skills good enough to try flying this little beauty yet
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my Delta racer! Foam wing, 200 sq inches and 11-1/2 oz ready to fly. Leaps straight out of my hands, fast as heck and whips around the pylons! Cheap to build and lots of fun! Powered by a stock Surestart, 15% fuel and a Cox 5 x 3 grey prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25551.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1843716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34308.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1843717  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice..!
What kind of foam and covering did you use..?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Blue insulation foam and low temperature doculam.

The top is covered with tissue stuck down with thinned white glue then covered with Doculam. The bottom is painted with yellow Walmart water based acrylic paint and then covered with Doculam. The paint is MUCH easier to apply than the tissue. I will be using the paint over foam covered with doculam for the foreseeable future. Works great!

This plane is a blast to fly and really gets your knees knocking! After the engine quits it glides amazingly well and lands SLOW. I'm glad I made the bottom a completely different color than the top!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Jaspur_x

goint to try to copy mine in the blue insulation foam with balsa sheeting on the bottom.
I just hope I can get the airfoil cut well enough to fly,I`m not good at this skill.
Going to just throw a babebee049 on it with low nitro to keepit as managable as possible for my slow reaction time flying skills of late