Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Its happening again

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Its happening again

Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its happening again

Thank guys, this old dog just learned a new trick!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
aglaser

I have used a website called gixen for a while now. its totally free and has worked perfectly for me..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Thank guys, this old dog just learned a new trick!
No matter what tricks we learn, there will be something that will irk us now and then. Each of these tricks work well when certain conditions apply.Other times, Oh Well!

Robert
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Jim Thomerson

I do two kinds of bids. One is how much I am willing to pay for something i really want. The other is a fairly low bid on something that is somewhat interesting. Just helping the seller along, but occasionally I win. I bid and forget about it. If I don't win, that's a good thing, because I have more junk than I need already.

I used to not bid on something I really wanted if the shipping was too high. I broke my rule and got the item, shipping included, for less than my bid. Since then I have broken the rule twice more and the same thing happened again.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Bay-beginner, with an item I really wanted, I chickened out, asked the seller for a Buy-it-now price and paid what he asked.
Then we both will never, never know, but he sold it and I have it. (Well I will soon.)
Peter
Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Jaspur_x

Rog ,
I always got my butt handed to me just like that too ( over and over), and my girlfriend did just the other week too!

I learned my lesson though , I won`t even bid until the lastminute these days , I got tired of losing by 50cents.

I always wait , and only bid once , I just bid my total price I would be willing to pay for the item but I wait til the bitter end to bid
. If somebody wants to pay more than I would ,. more power to them!

Jared
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

I am bidding on an item on the bay it started at $9.99, I put in a max of $21.00.....so I am winning at $9.99,, 2 days later the second bid is $20.49, it cant be that coincidental, either someone can see my max and is trying to ''scare'' me to up my bid, well thats its someone/somehow can see my max bid...and thats not fair,,I guess I will wait to the last minute and see if I win, I will go higher but not a lot....hate to ***** and not share, but its a little rare and I dont want to let it go...Rog
Rog, I just noticed that you-know-who-bay lends their own part in casting fear. This is what it says on an auction I am bidding on:
"You're currently the high bidder, but you're close to getting outbid."
What better way to scare you into raising your max bid?

I won't fall for it this time. If I don't get this for what I bid on it, then I don't need it and will get another some other time.

Robert
Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
ChopperMike

First thing I do is look at the shipping if it is jacked up I just move on!
I never could understand the high shipping some sellers charge. Sometimes it a small item and the shipping charges are astronomical. I guess they're worried about the item going for a low price and instead of a reserve or high starting bid they just jack up the shipping.

Mike
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Jim Thomerson

I think this was a trick thing to avoid paying higher fees to ebaY. Buy it now $0.99, and $10 shipping, for a small item. I think ebaY has taken some steps to stop this practice.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it still goes on,,,thats what I look at first too,, although there is very little I need, I still WANT a few things..I still see a .40 trainer for $15 starting bid but $40-70 for shipping...PASS!!!!!.....lol after the local swap meet where I did quite well...took home 3 of the 8 planes I took to sell,,and 2 I bought, a cl for $10 and a little stick from Fireman (that boy is magic with a covering iron) so I came home with like $320 ,,,sat down and ordered $190 worth of stuff, thats all still sitting in the boxes....I'll let ya'll know if I win this one and just keep waiting for the end, ....Rog
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Yep, it's quite a game...

My thoughts? Bid as much as you are willing to pay, as late as you can place your bid. (For me that's esnipe set at about 2 seconds.)

Sometimes placing a small innitial bid isn't a bad idea though. This will let an inexperienced seller know there is interest in his item, and he will be less likely to accept an "off eBay" offer or consider another interested party's request that he add a "Buy It Now".

Too often in considering what to bid, one thinks in terms of "what do I think I can get it for" instead of "what am I willing to pay".

If after you loose you have no regrets about not bidding more, that was probably all you were willing to pay.

If after you loose you wish you had bid more, you had probably thought in terms of bidding enough to win, but hadn't really considered the maximum amount you were really willing to pay.

Knowing your own mind in such matters can sometimes be the hardest part!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, since this is supposed to be a model airplane forum instead of a "how to use Ebay" forum I'm going to lock this. There's more than enough material out in other public forums and how toos about how best to use Ebay that we don't need a long discussion to repeat them here. However there's been easily enough discussion on it to satisfy any probably question so I'll leave it in place as an aid to helping out anyone looking in since it's here already.

Back to the regular scheduled programming.....