Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a interest level

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.
View Poll Results: A poll
I fly 1/2a models only.
10.28%
I fly 1/2a as well as other sized models.
78.50%
I have never flown a 1/2a.
0.93%
I like to follow the 1/2a posts only.
8.41%
I like the smaller aircraft for electric conversion.
1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

1/2a interest level

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a interest level

So, what is your real level of interest in 1/2a ? Lets try to find out with a poll.

Select one that matches your level of interest.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Remby

Default RE: 1/2a interest level

Many of the posts are from "old" pros, and newbies to the smaller models. I feel a number of the questions are from interested partys that have not as yet built and flown a small plane.

This may put a number on the level of interest in 1/2a , in all the forms.

Is there something that should have been asked, that was not?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
1/2Atopgun

I fly exclusively 1/2a , 1/4a (unless its someone else's plane). I love the added tech challenge of doing what VERY few others (or no-one) has with the little gems.
See my fleet at my profile page and gallery. http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ection=gallery
Thanks for the idea of the interest level poll!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The ultimate measuring stick is this....if you had to choose between .15 and under [or over] for the rest of your life, which would it be?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CP,
Untill Jett releases a production run of his prototype you know my answer to that question.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thankfully, we don't have to make a drastic decisions...but to be honest, I think I'll take a Cyclon .061 over anything Jett or Nelson has got.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the leckys have over run the small glow planes, but I dont fly higher than a .40OSla
Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The ultimate measuring stick is this....if you had to choose between .15 and under [or over] for the rest of your life, which would it be?
No contest. I only have 5 engines over .15 now, and one of them is a Wankle. 5 engines might sound like enough, but I haven't flown 4 of them in years and the 5th is a PAW .19 I just got from Gkamysz-and it's going in a Little Extra.

Giving up electrics might be tougher, but I will always be a small glow flyer before anything else.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoy building and flying some larger models(40 and 60 size) but the majority of my planes are small enough to fly with various Cox engines. The little ones tend to get flown more regularly since it's not necessary to drive to the flying club to operate most of them. My largest flying model engine is currently a .91 4-stroke but I own a new G26 gasser that is to be used on a future project(Lazy Ace biplane).

The majority of my online time is spent participating on the 1/2A forums. There is a camaraderie in this niche of the hobby that I enjoy as much as the engines and planes themselves. I've met a lot of great people with a common interest since getting involved in this aspect of modeling and, personally, that's the best part.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

I think I can also follow that with the caveat...."and what is there room for in my basement!"

ZZ.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one plane with a .12 (it was designed for a .10) and the rest is .09 and below, so it is a fairly easy choice for me...

Not sure what the poll is mean to show, the option about reading mainly 1/2 stuff seems a little off since one can only select one point from the list?

Edit; Okey, I think I get it now, the option is about reading only while flying other stuff. Isn't that a bit like reading a cookbook when you're hungry...?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Remby

Mr Cox;

My wording in the post was intended to just get a level of interest, and was thinking numbers. Just how many are there out there of "us", even just as readers of posts, and those who fly just the .049 stuff.

So many flyers read, post, and offer opinion here, it is hard to gauge the real number of members of the class. Heck, many do not even understand what the class is, or how it came to be. I feel much of the success of the small electric powered aircraft came from our small glow powered aircraft, spin offs that required the radio size reductions, etc.

I just thought others may like to know how many of "us" are here, or "out there", so to speak.

Endangered or not, the planes still fly, it really is about scale.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've flown a lot of 1/2A in the past, but have been flying larger airplanes for the last 10 years or so. I enjoy the 1/2A forum.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Having planes of all types and sizes and recently trying gas engines can say that my small airplanes have flown more than the big ones.

I can fit 6 planes in my small Suzuki sidekick and have a blast all day, and when choosing the big ones only 2.

Will choose the small ones doe to easy to manage to the field, cheap to maintain, and always fun to fly. They don´t break your wallet when you crash them.

Cheers,

Juan
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I fly vintage type 1/2A models, both R/C & C/L. I also fly both gas & nitro models up to 40% in size & occasionaly fly IMAC in the Sportsman class. I collect & restore/fly radios and motors from the early 60s thru the 70s. I enjoy building 1/2A models that i dreamed of owning when i was a kid and financially couldnt.......Gene
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
flyswatter

I have always flown 1/4A and 1/2A. I also fly .15 to gas bigger planes. I especially like scale (am currently finishing a Stirling Fokker DVII with a Saito 80fs in it). But my first love has always been the little guys. I have spent many, many frustrating and pleasurable hours with them. But there is nothing like a quiet afternoon at the field with a good small plane or glider and just cruising around. Having the other club members watching the little guys performing like the bigger planes is just icing on the cake.