Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

It's amazing what you find when you're moving!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

It's amazing what you find when you're moving!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default It's amazing what you find when you're moving!

I'm in the process of changing houses. I've got a few weeks of overlap to get some renos done in the new place to make for a better workshop (pictures to come when it's done and I guarantee it'll make you all green with envy ). But as part of the move I told the movers that I'd move my model airplanes myself rather than ask them to make up the specialized containers that would be required. It's only an hour's drive and I'll be back and forth enough with the renos to make this fairly easy.

So I was moving the model stuff down out of the trusses in the garage. I THOUGHT I knew what was up there but apparently not. A few kits and a couple of busted fuselages from rubber models awaiting repairs had been sitting on a cardboard "shelf". I took down the kits and bits and packed them away for later and looked at the "shelf". It was a well taped up flattened cardboard box with the lettering "model airplane-fragile" written on it. Huh?

Opened it up to find the 1/2A combat model in the first picture below. Apparently I stuck it up there while putting things away when I moved in back in 1987 and it's been sitting there supporting kits and bits for 23 years. I can remember some years back thinking that I must have left it back in Ontario but here it is! The design dates back to the late 60's or early 70's when I was flying 1/2A reed combat with my friends.

Took down the old box o' indoor models as well. There's still two models left from about the same time period. At one point this box used to hold four models but those ones passed away at some point. The two left are both EZB's. Unlike the combat model these get flown about every 10 years or so when an indoor site becomes available for a winter or a special one day occasion.

By the way, I've got updated CAD plans for the combat model in a zipped together set of GIF's done from the old mimeographed plans that I printed in the club newsletter when I was editor for the old Vancouver Gas Model Club. If you'd like a set PM me your email address.

And I guess I need to go buy some Spectra line and make up a 30 foot set of lines so I can try this old girl out again...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36155.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1454246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41939.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1454247  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: It's amazing what you find when you're moving!

The indoor rubber models look pretty spiffy. Are they covered with tissue or rice paper or has the lacquer yellowed with age?

Will send a PM for the Ukie plans.

andrew
Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those built up birds are too pretty to bash into anyone else..

I have a similar collection of 2-3 indoor models, they come down for ceremonial occasions. Same with some rubber and power outdoor FF, some which have not been maidened. I need to fly them all before I head out into my last sunset.

Hey, if you find that OS15 venturi I dropped and never found again about 27 years ago, let me know, will you? Who knows where that went.

It's nice that decent 1/2A flying line is available from the local hardware store shelves these days, aka Spiderwire and the like.

Make sure you post any other treasures! I love rooting through old boxes and dusty shelves.

MJD
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just looking at that thing makes me dizzy.....
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: MJD
....Hey, if you find that OS15 venturi I dropped and never found again about 27 years ago, let me know, will you? Who knows where that went.
Yeah, I've got a lot of things that have crossed over to the Sock Universe. You know the place. Where the single socks go for a while and then turn up later in the dryer? I'm sure that the spinning drum forms a black hole to that place. And apparently the black hole in the dryer can shift to our workshops thanks to that darned Heisenberg fella what with him being uncertain about everything and all.....

The paper on the indoor models is the old classic condenser paper. No finish, just the paper. It's far lighter than any other sort of tissue and it's non porous as well. Nowadays they use the super thin mylars used for making capacitors.

One of the missing models was a microfilm job. The ones where you pour out the film lacquer onto a big pool of water and then pick it up using a transfer frame once dry. Sort of like covering the model with a soap bubble. That's another lost skill since these days again they use the capacitor mylar for covering the models instead of the microfilm.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
wolfy888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMatthews, I still know how to do that (the lacquer thing). My dad once said that everyone should have to move every two years; it keeps you from accumulating too much stuff.....
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
ebeneezer3

I've been in place for 17 years. I'd rather take a beating than move.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

I just sold my home in April and spent most of March cleaning it out. I know what you mean.. I was in that house for 13 years and had more crap squirreled away than I could remember!

Now I have everything moved into the new place and my wife is already thinking of going to a larger house... ouch! I have a lot of stuff I just moved here, and had to make room for. I dont want to move again anytime soon... maybe I should also request a beating instead

AJC
Old 06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love those round wingtips!

Wow, the amount of stuff my wife could lose if we were moving. I actually already have a plan: Yes, honey, just put all that stuff you don`t want to throw away, but we don`t have room for( [X(] [:@] [:@] ) in the shed I made out the back. We`ll pick it up later (after the bonfire) [sm=angel_smile.gif]

J.M
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM
BMatthews

With the metal and wood working tools and other goodies apparently I've got more weight than a family of 6 regular folks. And it's just ME!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
vicman

I thought the same thing till my wife had a yard sale a month ago. Turns out it was all her crap in my area. I've got a ton more room now!
She made $750 at a quarter per item. That my friends it a ton of stuff. Especially considering I took two pick-up loads to Goodwill after it was all done.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 AM
BMatthews

I've taken 5 loads to the dump and recycling and it didn't look like I took a thing.....
Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Andrew

Until recently, I lived in the same place for 27 years. Someone once told me I needed a 7 room shed and 2 room house. I'm not sure 7 rooms would be enough. []

andrew
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
wolfy888

I, too, know what it means to have more stuff than space. Now that the ex and kids are gone, I actually have the room for a man-cave....
Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
mikegordon10

I was always told that when you move, you haul 2 loads to the dump and 1 load to the new house, then repeat
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

I feel a wave of ruthless crap-tossing coming sometime this summer. I go dormant for a while. All hail the burn-pit!

MJD
Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Got a move coming up myself. Can't wait to set up my new shop. The original owner of the house I'm getting was a cabinet makers so he built on a extra large, two car garage set up with extra lights and outlets everywhere!

I'm not going to miss my one car garage shop with it's one outlet!

Plus I already got plans for that $8,000 tax credit.

Name:	Rp44179.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1455032  
Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
vicman

I got rid of so much stuff about two months ago the garbage truck had to compact 3 times before moving on.
My neighbors thought I had quit the hobby.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

ORIGINAL: MJD
....Hey, if you find that OS15 venturi I dropped and never found again about 27 years ago, let me know, will you? Who knows where that went.
The paper on the indoor models is the old classic condenser paper. No finish, just the paper. It's far lighter than any other sort of tissue and it's non porous as well. Nowadays they use the super thin mylars used for making capacitors.

One of the missing models was a microfilm job. The ones where you pour out the film lacquer onto a big pool of water and then pick it up using a transfer frame once dry. Sort of like covering the model with a soap bubble. That's another lost skill since these days again they use the capacitor mylar for covering the models instead of the microfilm.
I've got some similar looking indoor models in a box. A current indoor competitor decided to go back to microfilm instead of mylar. Apparently, he sees an advantage.

Name:	Jh14655.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1455698  
Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 PM
BMatthews

Apparently we all dance to the same tune when it comes to our hobbies....

Wait until you see the setup for the new shops... that's right, plural. The basement is being set up for models, wood working and my new passion with firearms. The garage is being set up for metal working, motorcycle projects, bicycle work and a welder. Lots of kitchen like counters and cabinets will adorn the walls and there will be no lack of lighting and outlets including 220 for all the bigger stuff.

Amish' Some time back I did a write up for another forum on what to think about when selecting a small milling machine. Read the first four posts by Dead Body (That's ME! ) I know it's done for paintball but the scale of the projects is similar between the two hobbies. And if you read between the lines much or most of it pertains to small lathes as well.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2064290

If you other guys read those posts as well and like it I could doctor it up to pertain more to model building and perhaps even write a companion piece for small lathes. And after all that I could sticky it here after some time open for comments.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Apparently we all dance to the same tune when it comes to our hobbies....
So true!

That reminds me, I need to find room in the new house for my paintball gear.

Name:	Ki20072.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1456927  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like Christmas in June!

Bruce, I understand your new place is out my way. We fly indoor RC with the Chilliwack club in the winter, so now you'll have a place for your indoor models.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 AM
BMatthews

YOU'RE ON! That's good to know.