1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16 Traxxas slash slow after upgrade

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
linboogy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/16 Traxxas slash slow after upgrade

Hello forum
I have a 1/16 Traxxas Revo VXL and a Traxxas Slash. The Revo is very fast and I decided to upgrade my wifes Slash to the brushless combo esc kit. After doing so I notice the Slash was a lot slower than the Revo. I have changed the pinion gear to 28t and the spur gear to 45t and that made it a little faster but nothing compared to the Revo. They both run the same 2 cell lipo’s and I am now at a total loss. I have also calabrated the radio to the new esc for max throttle. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
robwiljas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/16 Traxxas slash slow after upgrade

Are you running a single 2s, or dual 2s in parallel or series? Also what gearing are you running on the 1/16 E-Revo? Remember the tires on the Slash are a lot smaller, so you have to gear it higher than the E-Revo for to get the same speed. 28/45 on the Slash VXL is the reccomended gearing while running 2x2s in series (4s total). Stock gearing for the VXL Slash is 31/45. Also make sure that nothing is binding, and that your gear mesh isn't set too tight.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
linboogy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/16 Traxxas slash slow after upgrade

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

Are you running a single 2s, or dual 2s in parallel or series? Also what gearing are you running on the 1/16 E-Revo? Remember the tires on the Slash are a lot smaller, so you have to gear it higher than the E-Revo for to get the same speed. 28/45 on the Slash VXL is the reccomended gearing while running 2x2s in series (4s total). Stock gearing for the VXL Slash is 31/45. Also make sure that nothing is binding, and that your gear mesh isn't set too tight.
Thanks for the advice. I am running a single 2 cell lipo. I was at a track today and changed my 28t to a 31t and it has picked it up a little but not much. When I adjusted the motor to the spur gear, I used a piece of note book paper to space it. I have also verified it is not in training mode. I will call Traxxas Monday and post back what they think. I have been reading a lot about vxl esc’s being problematic on the net. I have a feeling that is the problem.
Thanks