Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official Traxxas 1/16 Summit VXL

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Traxxas 1/16 Summit VXL

well, in all honesty i don't have one myself so i can't answer 100%, but from what i've heard and seen the motor performs fine and gets no hotter than the 1/10th scale VXL system. but, the VXL systems do run hot by nature. overall, the Castle combo u get w/ the Savage is gonna be much better and more reliable.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Well, the money slap burnt a hole in my pocket today
I went and got myself a mini Summit. So please welcome me to the club
I must say I really like the truck. The first thing I noticed was that the suspension was set up very soft. Almost bouncy. I think it will need some thicker shock oil right away. I was VERY surprised how torquey it was on one 6 cell NIMH pack. I did buy the series connector and extra battery but I don't believe I will be using the series connector. I will just use the extra battery for consecutive runs. I did reprogram the radio to make sure it was set up right. Also because I like mine set up at 70/30 and not 50/50. For some reason it seems faster on the trigger to go in reverse than it does in forward I'm also heard that the diffs come dry and need some grease, is that true? Anything else I need to know before I tear up something?

I think I will also get the HPI Flux XS just so I can see how it runs and probably keep both and my son and I can take turns whipping each others but with the Flux just kidding. I don't know which one will be better yet and it may just be a matter of opinion. But seriously I think the Flux has an edge because of the full size electronics.
Well, typical RCUniverse. Problems with uploading pics. So I put them here.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:13 PM
thehuntingterminator

nice man. i wouldn't mind having one myself, its just the price tag. $300 for a mini with mini electronics... but anyway, good luck with it!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Wheelnut

I know, it was hard to fork out, but anyway. Now she's mine. lol
Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 PM
fastandloud

Liking the yellow.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Wheelnut

Yeh, I was actually going to get blue, but yellow is one of my fav colors for RC also. All they had in stock was two yellows and one white. So the choice was easy.

I noticed there is a spot for a second steering servo, has anyone put the second one on?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM
thehuntingterminator

its probably better just to put in a good quality name brand single servo. in general, Traxxas servos are POS's. they work, but not very well, lol.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Wheelnut

Yeh, if I do, I will either need to put in another one just like the stock one or two that match. S
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Wheelnut

Hey guys, any recommendation for a 2s lipo? I mean cheap ones like from Hobbycity.com or hobbypartz.com. That's where I get all my batteries.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
thehuntingterminator

Gen's Ace are some good lipos.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Wheelnut

I agree, could you suggest one that would fit?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Pyrotechnic

i bought a couple of these off of a recommendation and i couldnt be happier with them. great performance all around and only needs minor work to the battery compartment to fit.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Wheelnut

Wow, I have a few of the 3s ones. I will order some 2s. Thanks.

I'm not happy with how soft the shock are. I'm guessing the oil weight is about 20 or 30wt. Any recommendations for springs or shock oil wt? Since I don't know the stock oil wt I don't know where to start. If it is 20 or 30wt, I guess I would step it up to 40 or 50wt.
I am definitely going to order a wheelie bar for this thing.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

just keep in mind making the suspension stiffer is gonna cause the truck to tip easier. good luck though, and you can probably email Traxxas about the stock oil.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
shadow600

Just got this truck about 2 weeks ago. Tips over easy. I am using 2 2c lipos in parrell. Heat is a problem. It keeps shuting down. Hard to keep the front end down ! BUT THIS TRUCK IS A BLAST TO RUN !!!!. I take to the dirt and the beach. ( I keep it out of the water). To attempt to solve my problems I am going to drop the pinion gear 1 tooth to 15, get an esc fan and cooling fins. Now I could just go with 1 lipo and not over heat do to shorter run time,but where is the challage? I put some weights on the outside of my front and rear a-arms to try to control the tip overs (I'dont know where this idea came from) and to hold down the front end. I have not had a chance to run it after these mods. If they work good, if not I will try something else. The bottom line tome is that this truck is fast and awesome to run and modify.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:06 PM
cubnpede82

Hey all,
I've got the MERV for my son, we got his when they first came out, still TQ2 radio, and there was no mini Summit yet. We love the little truck. I'm thinking of getting the Summit wheels and tires set, and the rockers, to give the MERV more of the Summit stance. We live in the mountains and the terrain is pretty rough. I am wondering, will we need different springs than the stock MERV ones, to go with the MiniSummit rockers? can someone help me out there? Also, with the bigger tires, I'll need to gear down the pinion I'm guessing, what would I need there? What's the stock M-Summit pinion spur? Anything else I'd need to give the MERV the stance of this little beast? We're probably keeping the body and wing for now, but we'll be needing new tires in spring.
I have some RPM rims for my Stampede, they're tough, as are all RPM parts. Are there any that fit the MERV/M-summit? Glad to see that the next time we need suspension parts RPM has them covered. We needed parts shortly after we got the MERV, but all that was out was Traxxas stock parts. So far, we've replaced one pillowball/bearing carrier part, so have 3 left... a front bumper mount piece... a wing due to being scraped up (used as wheelie bar).. and servo gears (skate park fun). I hope with the big tires the servo is still up to it's task. MERV seems fine with the one blue TRX servo.
I'll be checking back and reading the whole thread, as my neighbor just ordered 2x Mini-Summit VXL trucks.. He wanted something similar to my son's truck, and like the ground clearance and look better. They're like 99.9% the same rig, so we got a mini racing class going now!!! I'm thinking we're going to build a track, have like 20-40 acres between us all in the neighborhood here, plenty of good spots and access to a tractor with a hoe or 3 point tiller. and lots of good dirt .... should be fun. We'll probably run like 2wd 1/10 open class, and mini open class, hope to get some others interested too.
I hope the Summit is as cool as this MERV has been, this thing is a blas, and a tank. Only problem is slight cogging from a start, and whenever we get it out in the cold or snow at all, it acts up.. usually not untill the next run, it'll be OK when we turn it off, bring it in, let it dry off, plug in a charged batt later and it just cogs and stutters and won't go, steering is fine... unplug batt, wait a few hrs or a day, and it's fine again... done it twice now, next time I'm going to send it to Traxxas I think... Sent in my 1/10 VXL and got it back fixed, no Deans plug any more though...LOL just using Traxxas for my surface rigs now, except the 2200 3s in my crawler, it's an airplane batt and all my planes are deans ...
I may have to get another TRX 1/16, probably the Summit, since we have the MERV... Happy Holidays

Isaiah

Oh, and are the A-Arms different, revo to summit? RPM only lists revo arms, and I'm ordering some more Pede parts and MERV parts soon... my neighbor will likely need parts soon, will the MERV RPM bumpers work on the summin?

Thanks again folks, for making RCU so great!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Atomika

I jus got one of these the other day for a winter basher. (Brushed version tho) I intend to do alot of driving in water snow & mud so I taped over the hole in the rims to prevent them from filling up. Is there any draw back to doing this?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: shadow600

Just got this truck about 2 weeks ago. Tips over easy. I am using 2 2c lipos in parrell. Heat is a problem. It keeps shuting down. Hard to keep the front end down ! BUT THIS TRUCK IS A BLAST TO RUN !!!!. I take to the dirt and the beach. ( I keep it out of the water). To attempt to solve my problems I am going to drop the pinion gear 1 tooth to 15, get an esc fan and cooling fins. Now I could just go with 1 lipo and not over heat do to shorter run time,but where is the challage? I put some weights on the outside of my front and rear a-arms to try to control the tip overs (I'dont know where this idea came from) and to hold down the front end. I have not had a chance to run it after these mods. If they work good, if not I will try something else. The bottom line tome is that this truck is fast and awesome to run and modify.

You do know it's a rock crawler right? I love mine, it is a little tippy if you don't go easy on the high speed cornering. Have you adjusted the shock oil, spring tension and suspension? Those things will help.
Are you running two 6 cell NIMH packs in series?? Or a 3 cell lipo? if so, don't, that's what's making it over heat. One 2S lipo or even the 6 cell NIMH is way fast enough for this truck. Also you might want to get a heat sink with fan to help keep it cool.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Atomika

I jus got one of these the other day for a winter basher. (Brushed version tho) I intend to do alot of driving in water snow & mud so I taped over the hole in the rims to prevent them from filling up. Is there any draw back to doing this?
Not really. Just the tires won't give like they would with the holes open. it's kind of like traction helper and extra shock absorber.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Atomika

Right on, I didnt figure it'd be an issue.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
nitroholic

How long in minute does it take to charge lipo batteries?
http://www.xheli.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
cubnpede82

hey all, video is uploading to youtube now.. hope that helps save some servo gears...
PM me or email me if you need better pictures/info...

Isaiah
axelsfolks on the Tube
shadymoon1282 at yahoo dot com
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
gunnut

Good vid, Im going to give that a try this afternoon. Broke my first set of servo gears on the summit yesterday. Gotta clean and adjust that servosaver while i got her taken apart!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this summit. Will be my first Traxxas RC. Would rather have the larger 1/10 but price is just more than I care to dish out.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Wheelnut

I've had mine for quite a while now and it's my all time favorite micro truck.