Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Here it is, just in time to jump on everyone's Christmas list, The New Rally VXL by Traxxas.

Post your photos, your stories and knowledge on the new Rally VXL. Since it's basically a carbon copy of the mini slash and mini e-revo, I'm sure its durability is the same and it's hop-ups will be plentiful. For now, lets all hope Pro-line jumps on the bandwagon and starts pumping out rally bodies! I ran this on 2S lipos and it did what i was expecting for its speeds; maybe a little more than i was expecting. Also, it took a few runs to get the tires to grip, as it was very easy to drift in the beginning - just like the traxxas video; but, once the tires started gripping and drifting was enduced with ease, this car quickly became my favorite new toy! Next up, 3S lipos and maybe a castle esc to test out 4s and such!

Imagine the speed records this can obtain if a mini e-revo has already touched the 90's... I think someone will get one of these into triple digits by next spring!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29980.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1520837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46490.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1520838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13755.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1520839   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55234.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1520840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75707.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1520841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nd53150.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1520842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83600.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1520843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp51494.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1520844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf66985.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1520845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr81472.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1520846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb19536.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1520847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju82103.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1520848  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM
crunchNmunch

Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

It appears you're about 22 days late with your announcement Joe. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10037938/tm.htm
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your the first I have seen that has one in their hands, Have fun.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take some videos of it driving on tarmac, I'm interested.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I believe Joecool pre-ordered his through Tower Hobbies weeks ago and has known about them. He is just starting an "Official" Mini Rally VXL thread.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: gforce2448

He is just starting an "Official" Mini Rally VXL thread.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM
J0EC00L

Hey I saw there was a rally thread, but it wasn't an official one and I wanted to start an official one that actually talks about our experience with the rally - trying to model this thread after the other "official" threads. If the rc universe moderators want to merge this thread with the others or vice verse, then that's fine with me.

I will say that Traxxas needs to step up their ingenuity on these rc's. I now hear they have a mini summit, but it doesn't have the locking diffs and is basically a mini e revo with different rockers and tires.

If any of you already own a mini slash or mini e revo such as myself, wait until rpm releases arms for the rally and just convert your mini slash or e revo to a rally.

I was fortunate to buy one with money I got from selling another rc, so I figured why not try the rally. I have a castle sidewinder and a mamba max esc I could swap out in it. But I'm gonna leave it stock until something breaks. I do know that the servo is the stock servo in all the 1/16 series, which is unfortunate, because this would be even more fun with more responsive turning. I've got some high torque metal gear servos I'll throw in it.

Have fun
Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Well Ford is definitely on board with Traxxas. We've all heard about the Mustang 302 body. Now there is an officially licensedFord Fiesta body for the Mini-Rally.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69707.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1521115  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
ritojr
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gforce2448

Well Ford is definitely on board with Traxxas. We've all heard about the Mustang 302 body. Now there is an officially licensedFord Fiesta body for the Mini-Rally.

hate that its a ford but a cool looking body, i'll just have to leave the ford stickers off i guess, haha

Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 PM
J0EC00L

Hey Gforce... Good to see you over here too. You plan on getting a rally?

I actually like ford... Always liked their trucks and a loud and fast mustang always brings a smile. Yes ford cars in the past weren't great on quality, but the new ones are turning opinions 180 - pick up a car magazine and you'll see. Even the writers find it hard to believe.

Yeah, Germany and japan have lead the market for quite sometime... But it's time we stand up for American autos, and Ford is in the lead right now. They also didn't need the bail out.

Though, I'd love to see an Evo body and maybe a vw GTi.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM
J0EC00L

Guys... This rally is too much fun. Once the tires get a little wear, they start to grip better and launching is awesome! Drifting is still enduced with ease; but this thing has yet to flip.

I'm sure I can flip it, but it really squats in the corners and when you gun it coming out it's like hitting nitrous.

Everyone of you who drives one will immediately live vicariously through your youthful wishes when you first watched fast and furious!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM
ritojr
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Hey Gforce... Good to see you over here too. You plan on getting a rally?

I actually like ford... Always liked their trucks and a loud and fast mustang always brings a smile. Yes ford cars in the past weren't great on quality, but the new ones are turning opinions 180 - pick up a car magazine and you'll see. Even the writers find it hard to believe.

Yeah, Germany and japan have lead the market for quite sometime... But it's time we stand up for American autos, and Ford is in the lead right now. They also didn't need the bail out.

Though, I'd love to see an Evo body and maybe a vw GTi.
dont mean to knock ford, i actually do love mustangs. I love rally and own a subaru wrx though so thats the only reason I knock the ford body, I would much rather have a subie!!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
J0EC00L

Nothing wrong with that bro - If I owned a Subaru or Evo or some form of AWD rally type car, I too would want a body to match my car so that I can paint it up to be a mirrored mini version of my car.

Ok, so I did some research to see if company's have prepared for the release of the rally with any aftermarket parts. Nope, but maybe in time for Christmas. I have seen some parts that fit the mini e revo and slash that would obviously fit the rally too. Definitely have to get the rocker bearings, and upgrade the axle carriers/hubs. I know my stock hubs in the Merv were sloppy right out of the box. I will not get the alum hubs, but instead, the RPM hubs which will be a perfect fit for their lightweight and supreme durability. If any of you have ever used their suspension arms, you know these hubs will be awesome. Supposedly they reduce alot of slop at the ball joints.

I will get arms when they are finally released and I know there are some street tires already out there that will fit, but these goodrich tires are fairly decent.

Joe
Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM
crunchNmunch

and I know there are some street tires already out there that will fit, but these goodrich tires are fairly decent.

Joe
Since about anything with 12mm hex will fit, and thus any 1/10th TC rim/tire, there are already plenty of on-road options in existance whether they be foam or rubber in a wide variety of shore ratings. Just a matter of finding what suits your fancy, surface, driving style, and preferences.
And if you do a little looking around the 'Net and eBay, there are also a few treaded and knobby options that fit TC rims too, for running in the dirt. You just need to be creative. I've probably got 4 or 5 different sets in the tire box that should fit, if I decide to get one.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did some comparing of the exploded views for the Rally and Slash and it looks like the only differences are the front and rear bumpers, body mounts, wheels/tires and body....
Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Did some comparing of the exploded views for the Rally and Slash and it looks like the only differences are the front and rear bumpers, body mounts, wheels/tires and body....
Yeah, that's what I saw too.
I remember when the mini-slash came out, and it didn't do very well in the handling compartment either on- or off-road, and my first thought was "change the body and tires, lower the suspension to lower theCG,and turn the thing into a rally car."
Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 PM
J0EC00L

I think they listened to you crunchmunch!

Here's some videos of me driving the Rally. I made a few runs with 2S and 3S lipo batteries. The Frau is video taping this with our Sony point and shoot camera, so it's not perfect, but she did a decent job trying to keep up.

2S Lipo - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ixdD9mOuw[/youtube]

2S Lipo second run - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbrpROoZHdM[/youtube]

3S Lipo - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGVYu2KvRNI[/youtube]

3S Lipo Final Run - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ah3JbIxM8[/youtube]

I'll try and get some better videos up, i'll record it this time while a buddy drives the Rally. Maybe i can get some HD quality recording that has better angles, and i may mount the camera to the rally to give a first person view of the drive!

Joe
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
crunchNmunch

Well, running it back and forth up and down the block doesn't tell you much.
But it still looks like it could benefit from some softer rear tires, or just some more proper/real tires.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
J0EC00L

Yeah, it doesn't tell you much, but it shows that its ability to stay stable without flipping at higher speeds is an improvement... though, is that due to the tires not gripping like an e-revo's does with the talons?

Even with the road rages i had on my e-revo, it flipped when i tried to enduce a slide/drift move.

I think this car has alot of potential, especially on the carpet! We'll see once people start really racing these in better environments than my neighborhood
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
traxxas_guru

that thing is pretty fast, might convert my merv to this, or a mni summit
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
crunchNmunch

Yeah, it doesn't tell you much, but it shows that its ability to stay stable without flipping at higher speeds is an improvement... though, is that due to the tires not gripping like an e-revo's does with the talons?

Even with the road rages i had on my e-revo, it flipped when i tried to enduce a slide/drift move.

I think this car has alot of potential, especially on the carpet! We'll see once people start really racing these in better environments than my neighborhood
Well, part of the deal with "traction rolling" (or what you're calling "flipping") is because of the inherent sidewall flex of the larger offroad tires. Whereas smaller sidewalled onroad tires don't flex as much. The only way my buddy could "drift" his mini-revo was by installing slicks, otherwise between the huge chassis roll and the knobs snatching traction it was just traction-roll city.

There's got to be a ton of pre-existing tire options, so it'll be interesting to see what people try out.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
brianjskora

Joe, do the detta tires/wheels fit.?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
RobbieP
Banned

Anything with a 12mm hex will fit.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
brianjskora

Id like to know how they fit with the body. Width, height, etc.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
RobbieP
Banned

I was fitting up what I had last night, and most of the smaller and sub-1/10th sizedstuff I had fit no problem. Size-wise the Detta buggy tires and rims should fit being as they were pretty small, as willthe HPICup Racerwheels and tires. I also have some Kyosho mini tires that will fit, given they be mounted on wheels with the correct hexes. There arealso Sweep Racing's mini wheels and tires that will fit.Other than standard Touring Carrubber and foams, I alsohad some older 1/10th rally tires and wheels that also fit, so I suppose it comes down to being creative and doing some size comparisons to see what will work and depending on where people plan on running these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.