Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

My MERV is full of mud...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My MERV is full of mud...

ORIGINAL: WhatWhat44

ORIGINAL: joeseif

Does that answer your question whatwhat44? Do you understand now, how to clean the mud from your model? If you do take it all the way apart shim the diffs they will last longer.
Hi,
Thanks for all the feedback guys - I learned a thing or two and will invest more time in learning to maintain the car...

I too, think that saying the competition is between RC and Xbox is not accurate, there are many, many things that compete for our time (work, wife/woman, family, games etc). I think many people would enjoy the cars but the maintainance has to be reduced, they want to have fun, not find a part time work as a mechanic... ;-)

dunno I like the maintenance, and repairs personally almost more so than actually running the RC's. So some people might enjoy less maintenance others like me would be put off by them.
Kinda why the traxxas 2wd line exists their basically very low maintenance RC's
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
WhatWhat44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]
dunno I like the maintenance, and repairs personally almost more so than actually running the RC's. So some people might enjoy less maintenance others like me would be put off by them.
Kinda why the traxxas 2wd line exists their basically very low maintenance RC's
[/quote]

Funny you should say this, I thought hard about gettingthe1/10 2WD Slash, before going for the MERV... ;-)

Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
joeseif

I find myself spending a lot of time on my Jato and my rusty when I had it, it got it's fair share of bench time. When I use nitro I exspect to spend as much time running or more time working on them. That is what I beleaved I sighned on for, and I enjoy that time. It's what I do when I am stuck inside at night. When I think of electric I think of low maintainence. For some reason time spent working on nitros passes real fast as the whole time i am thinking about how I might get that much more out of it. I just got back into electric for the kids, it's less crasy when they are running and I can walk away for a minute or two and deal with kid stuff and come right back without having to restart. I can hear the kids better when i am running e power too.
I think of electric as charge and go and put away till it is time again to charge and go again. That's not the case, but it is what wish the case was.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 PM
WhatWhat44

OK Guys,
Thanks for all the help, I'm now ready to start dismantling the Merv, where do I begin? Literally?
I'm having a lot of fun with it but:
  1. Bits of visible metal has devloped soem rust (a thin layer on the outside, I hope)
  2. The rear wheels are pointing towards the front, i.e. when looking from above the car they are not parallel to the car like the front wheel but point towards the front, if you draw a line form each wheel the would converge at some point
  3. When driving the car on a flat surface it pulls to the left, I tried triming it with the remote but no luck...
Please give me detailed instruction (I'm still a Noob ;-) and ideally with pictures

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
joeseif

rear wheel need alittle inward pointing i think its call toe. take the wheels off dont submerge them because the foam can get water logged, just wash them off. Take out the all the screws and bolts make a pile. Wipe all the hardware down with some kind of oil like 3 in 1 or wd. Then was all the plastic parts in the sink, see Robbies post for more details. When you reassmble the steering servo turn the turn on, transmitter 1st, then set the steering trim to centered or 0. Now get the front tires pointed striaght ahead then attach the servo arm to the servo and you should be able to get her headded the right way, straight
Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM
WhatWhat44

ORIGINAL: joeseif

rear wheel need alittle inward pointing i think its call toe. take the wheels off dont submerge them because the foam can get water logged, just wash them off. Take out the all the screws and bolts make a pile. Wipe all the hardware down with some kind of oil like 3 in 1 or wd. Then was all the plastic parts in the sink, see Robbies post for more details. When you reassmble the steering servo turn the turn on, transmitter 1st, then set the steering trim to centered or 0. Now get the front tires pointed striaght ahead then attach the servo arm to the servo and you should be able to get her headded the right way, straight
Thanks, but where do Istart? remove the wheels and go from there? Where do I stop? shall I openthedrivetrain etc? Are there any pictures or videos online?

Thanks again,apologiesfor noobism

Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
joeseif

traxxas.com is a great place to start. They have a welth of information and diagrams to follow. It's up to you how far you go. I dont generally take my models completely apart to clean them, so I can't tell you how much to take off. oil the bearings and clean them off for sure. See if there is any dirt in the drivetrain then make sure you get the drive train clean. The shocks, clean them and oil the metal. You can get pretty nice looking with q tips.

Anyone else feel free to chim in.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM
pubmaster861

think you guys are looking into this maintenance thing a bit to much. my point of view is i used to race motocross for 6 years, and after all the broken bones and injuries i got into rc so i could beat the living crap out of them and go to work the next day without a cast, so thats what i do, lol complete tear downs.... baahahahaha
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pubmaster861

think you guys are looking into this maintenance thing a bit to much. my point of view is i used to race motocross for 6 years, and after all the broken bones and injuries i got into rc so i could beat the living crap out of them and go to work the next day without a cast, so thats what i do, lol complete tear downs.... baahahahaha
well you can do that.
Kinda what I did last year in winter on my DF-02.
Only a litle rust developed on a dog bone other than that it was good. But I hosed the visible metal down with WD-40, after I hosed it down in the tub with the shower head. I used bushings for the wheel axles though so I didn't hve to worry about bearings rusting and locking.
This years DF-02 for winter I plan on the same thing(got a bootleg a company made into a truck)for the most part seeing it worked well last year. Last years winter beater I kinda upgraded into a speed demon
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
dacaur

If your mini e-revo is still using the stock electronics, just use your garden hose to clean it!!! DONT put your finger over the hose to get more pressure, but just letting the hose run over your truck to get rid of the mud isn't going to hurt it. Hose it till its clean, then spray it down with wd-40 or similar.... It says RIGHT IN THE MANUAL that this is OK.....

Personally, I value my time too much to tear down my truck every time I get it dirty... I would rather replace a bearing every now and then than completly disassemble my RC's every time I get them muddy. I run in mud every now and then and all I have ever done is hosed it down and given it a spray of WD-40. The only parts I have needed to replace is one front arm due to hitting the same rock twice after over a year of abuse replaced with RPM and havent given it a second thought. when the time comes that something goes bad, i will disassemble it far enough to replace that part, and clean it as I go, but there is no way im going to do any more than I have to do. I also dot completly disassemble my fill size jeep after I go mudding, and its not yet a piece of crap .

If YOU want to tear down your truck to clean it, fine, your truck will be cleaner than mine, but you shouldn't be telling complete noobs that they HAVE to do so or their truck will become a peice of crap, becuase thats just not true with traxxas vehicles.... They are made to run, not sit on the bench.