Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Tamiya Frog Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Jgaff2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Frog Problems...

well my tamiya frog has been having problems and I would like to see if anyone can help me.
Batteries are charged well, but when I give it gas it kind of stops, and about every second it jerks and moves forward about an inch. it could be the esc or the motor, or something else really, just wanting to pinpoint what the problem may be.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Frog Problems...

to rule out the motor IF it is brushed(which I am guessing it is seeing its a Frog), if you use a BL setup you need another ESC to test it
Disconnect the motor wires and connect them straight to the battery. if the motor spins good the motor is fine. If it jerks its the motor.

Next I'd rule out the radio, swap channel 1 and 2 on the receiver. squeeze the trigger and see if the steering servo responds smoothly or is it jerking like you said the ESC is. If the servo jerks you have an issue with your radio.

If the motor, and radio are both fine it is probably the ESC or battery at that point.
If you try it with another fully charged battery and it still does the same behavior its most probably the ESC.

These are fairly generic steps to diagnose an issue with a rc
I went in the order of easiest to more expensive
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Jgaff2

thanks man i think I will charge up the batteries again and try just connecting them to the motor, otherwise it's probly the esc and hopefully the frog's esc isn't too expensive...
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM
cooldriver385

I like your profile picture. Motocross is pretty sick.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Davetheknave

When you turn it on and steering works fine, but it cuts in andout when you give it gas thenit is time to check the connecter integrity and if that checks outget a new battery. Batteries that come with rtr's today aren't worth there weight in toilet paper (to put it nicely). The esc is likely not the problem.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Jgaff2

Thanks
ORIGINAL: Davetheknave

When you turn it on and steering works fine, but it cuts in andout when you give it gas thenit is time to check the connecter integrity and if that checks outget a new battery. Batteries that come with rtr's today aren't worth there weight in toilet paper (to put it nicely). The esc is likely not the problem.