1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16 Traxxas Indoor Q?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM
ozzy9039
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/16 Traxxas Indoor Q?

Curious to know if anyone has had luck using a Traxxas 1/16 (Anything really) indoors? Thinking of picking up the 1/16 Brushed Summit & using the "training mode" on the ESC (50% power) for indoors and then just putting back to sport mode (100% power) for outdoors. Just not sure if even the 50% power would be "safe" enough for indoors?? Thought possibly for crawling (I know its not a crawler) I could use the 50% power as well.?? Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM
BigTb17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/16 Traxxas Indoor Q?

I suppose it depends on how much room you have "indoors". I have a very small appartment and I still had some fun inside with my 1/16 Brushed Summit when I got it a couple days ago. Just take it easy on the throttle and you really shoudn't have to use the training mode. Though if you have trouble keeping off the throttle, I suppose the training mode could help.

What kind of crawling are you wanting to do? The only reason I ask is because prolonged low speed, high load conditions of true crawling would be hard on the power system the way it is geared. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I drove my 1/16 erevo vxl inside for about 5 minutes and it got hot pretty quick due to lack of air flow over the esc.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM
calvino

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive done my 1/10 crawler indoors and my 1/18 RC cars indoors, trick is to make a small course that keeps you busy driving but also keeps your speeds down. Considering its a summit maybe make it a course with a few jumps or inclines and some banked turns?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
ozzy9039

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I have a 1/10 crawler (Axial Race Crawler)... But its a little big..I'm in a townhouse, so similar size to an apt. I guess. What kind of crawling?.... over baby toys and things like that ...maybe even baby. Was thinking of going with the Losi 1/24 crawler, ...or maybe even the Losi 1/18 crawler, but I really like that 1/16 Summit! I've heard of the slow speeds inside being a little tough on the system; Thats why I was thinking about the Training mode inside at 50% power to help with that. Has anyone played around with the speed on the training mode?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM
BigTb17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ozzy9039

Well, I have a 1/10 crawler (Axial Race Crawler)... But its a little big..I'm in a townhouse, so similar size to an apt. I guess. What kind of crawling?.... over baby toys and things like that ...maybe even baby. Was thinking of going with the Losi 1/24 crawler, ...or maybe even the Losi 1/18 crawler, but I really like that 1/16 Summit! I've heard of the slow speeds inside being a little tough on the system; Thats why I was thinking about the Training mode inside at 50% power to help with that. Has anyone played around with the speed on the training mode?
I was planning on trying out a few different things with the stock power system on the brushed Summit I just got, but unfortunately the ESC released the magic smoke. I'm going to call Traxxas about it tomorrow to see what they say about it.

While water and snow isn't a huge issue, but the shear amount of salt around here has kept me from taking the Summit outside yet. So far, all I have done is bash around my appartment, and it's been fun. In case you were wondering, the indoor driving had nothing to do with the ESC failure.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
ozzy9039

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

I was planning on trying out a few different things with the stock power system on the brushed Summit I just got, but unfortunately the ESC released the magic smoke. I'm going to call Traxxas about it tomorrow to see what they say about it.

While water and snow isn't a huge issue, but the shear amount of salt around here has kept me from taking the Summit outside yet. So far, all I have done is bash around my appartment, and it's been fun. In case you were wondering, the indoor driving had nothing to do with the ESC failure.

Any ideas what it was?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
BigTb17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ozzy9039

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

Any ideas what it was?
I'm hoping it was just a defect. I drove it for about half a battery or so on the stock battery. I cycled the stock battery and drove it a bit, but I decided to see how the performance would improve with a 2S Li-Po. The voltage should have been fine (the XL2.5 is said to work on up to 9.6 volts, so a 2S Li-Po should have been fine). I checked the steering and throttle as usual and set the model down. I pulled the throttle, the truck drove about 3 feet and the ESC went up in a cloud of smoke.

I have a thread a few down the list with a review of the brushed Summit.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
ozzy9039

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another thought could be to turn down the throttle response on the Transmitter.... this way it can limit it a bit??
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
nitrostam
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

losi micro t
micro sct