Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16 erevo vs 1/16 summit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
kyle 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 erevo vs 1/16 summit

Hey guys!
this spring/summer i was looking at possibly trying an rc car.
I narrowed it down to 2. i would get a 1/10 but those trucks are a little too much money and i already blow enough on rc helis!
My question is overall whats a better truck to just have fun with the Mini revo or the Mini summit?

it would be for offroad, and on road, sometimes trimmed gras, jumping, and if im around my LHS maybe there track so for fun! Oh and also snow and ice!
which one handles better? i know the revo is lower to the ground, but the summit is also wider if im correct? so which one will take better turn and have less of a chance to flip over.

Also can the summit do a standing backflip like the revo can do?

this truck will be mostly for having fun and showing my friends that RC's dont have to be cheap walmart toys, so i would like something thats an all around great truck!
i know i can create both of them with just a few mods, but which one seems best right out of the box?

So i guess Mini Summit vs Mini Erevo: What are the Pros and Cons and which would you buy first!

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: 1/16 erevo vs 1/16 summit

They are basically the same. There are a few parts that only makes them different. Tires, body, bumpers, mounting posts. The suspension, chassis and everything else are interchangeable. The Mini Summit does have more ground clearance due to the larger tires so it would be better in grass and snow and ice. The Mini-Revo would probably handle better on the track. Or get one and buy the few extra parts to change it into the other. Haven't heard anyone doing backflips on the Mini Summit but I am sure it's doable with 3S lipo or dual batteries in series just like you can with the Mini Revo.

I own two Mini Revos and love them! But have had them before the Mini Summit came out. If the Summit was out already I might of got my son one of those instead of his own Mini Revo.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
rc md

i got the mini summit and mini erevo and love them both the revo is the one best on track but summit can handle its own with right tires as for mudding they can both do good check this out this should answer alot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lf3uKi2R9A
Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 AM
kyle 9

Okay thanks guys!
Is the revo alot faster than the summit?
Which one jumps higher/longer? Probably the revo
Also since they are almost identical, do they both have the same durability?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

Okay thanks guys!
Is the revo alot faster than the summit?
Which one jumps higher/longer? Probably the revo
Also since they are almost identical, do they both have the same durability?
they've got the same motor and ESC, and they weigh very close to the same but the E-revo is much faster

although they have the exact same chassis and suspension setup, the summit is durable and the revo is fragile

they're the exact same truck, with the summit having a more plush suspension due to having long travel rockers installed on it... other than the long travel rockers and slightly different tires, they're the exact same thing, buy the one you think looks pretty
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM
gforce2448

The Revo is faster because of it's gearing. I believe the Summit is geared lower for more aggressive terrain. It has a smaller stock pinion installed making it slower. They are both very durable trucks. The Mini-Revo is the most durable R/C I've owned. So, yes...get the one you think looks the best. I guarantee after you have it a while you will definitely be making upgrades and mods, they are addictive.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: gforce2448

The Revo is faster because of it's gearing. I believe the Summit is geared lower for more aggressive terrain. It has a smaller stock pinion installed making it slower. They are both very durable trucks. The Mini-Revo is the most durable R/C I've owned. So, yes...get the one you think looks the best. I guarantee after you have it a while you will definitely be making upgrades and mods, they are addictive. [img][/img]
you sure about that?

the tire size is different between the two, so that's why the gearing is different, speed is the same between the two
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the Mini Revo, Summit and Slash all share the same platform? Main differences being bodies and tires with shorter suspension on the Slash? And is the same chassis also used on the 1/16 Rally and the new Mustang Sedan?

Can someone confirm this?

Kind of like how GM build a Suburban but also calls it a Yukon andan Escalade where the Base price on one is just under $30k and the top end climbs well beyond $65k for the same vehicle hidden under all the pleather and faux wood trim.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
gforce2448

YES!! They are all the same platform and share chassis, electronics, etc. The Rally and Slash are basically the same sharing a-arms and other suspension parts. The Summit and Revo share the same suspension parts as well. The only thing that sets each of them apart is body, wheels/tires, bumpers, body mounting posts and a few other small parts.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want stability, and cornering revo. It has a lower COG so it can turn faster.

No idea why people act like the chassis drags on the ground. Mine has more ground clearance than my 1/10th scale buggies.
Drive through grass fine. Only thing I did was gear it down some by using the extra pinion that is included for 3s(to hit that advertised box speed) on 2s. I mainly did that cause I was sick of the wing acting like a wheelie bar.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
kyle 9

does the summit destroy drive shafts more than the Merv? i heard on a couple threads that the summit was having that problem?
and im starting the lean toward the Merv, if it can run on shorter "lawn" grass and all it seems to beat the summit with all the other categories... speed, handing, durability,..
i was just wondering about the drive shafts.

thanks
kyle
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 AM
black110

I'm also trying to decide between the 1/16 Summit and 1/16 Revo (I've actually got a poll going right now on the forums, lol). I think I'm leaning more toward Revo. I like the lower center of gravity and the physical look better. Either way, I don't think you can really go wrong because as others have said, you're just a few parts away from switching between the two... I also read about the Summit going through more driveshafts but there are a few simple fixes from what I've read including swapping some parts from the Revo or upgrading to RPM parts.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM
dacaur

Im not sure where sloppyG got it in his head that the e-revo is fragile, people that actualy own one can tell you this truck is VERY durable. If the summit had been out when I got my mini e-revo, I would have gotten that one, simply because I like the looks better. The e-revo does just fine on all the grass I have tried it on though, using the stock battery. It does make the battery hotter to run on grass, but I run two packs in paralell, so dont have a problem.

In addition to the rockers, body, and tires, the summit also has different rear suspension arms, which give it a 10mm longer wheelbase... They are an option part on the summit though, so thats not a big deal on choosing which one you want.... When my stockers break, I will get some of the summit arms anyway, but in over year of hard driving, they have yet to break. In fact the only part I have broken (if you dont count the rear wing, which has been shreaded by too many wheelies) is one front suspension arm, and even that took hitting the same pointy embeded rock TWICE.... (sent the truck endoing both times, but it drove away no problem the first time )

I am thinking of converting mine to a summit though... I think ill probably skip the body since I like the one I have, but the rockers, tires, and rear arms are a must....
Old 02-25-2024, 09:48 PM
Ominous_Nefarious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Other differences....

☆[Old thread but google dont care about dates of posts, it will find the forum post anyway keeping relevant RC information easily searchable, so please...u dont need to remind anyone "its an old post", everyone but Google knows that already and no one looks at the dates when desperately searching for information that rcuniverse so graciously provides.]☆

As already mentioned the rockers are long travel , Bumpers are different and swappable (giving the M.E.R.V. more protection if you swap its bumpers out and install the Summit bumpers), the revo has a 23t pinion & 50t spur & the Summit has a 21t pinion and 55t spur. The rear A-arms are longer and add 10mm to the width.
But...
The Rear Aarms also make the Summit's wheelbase longer than a M.E.R.V.'s wheelbase and angle it's driveshafts back some while the M.E.R.V.'s driveshafts are perpendicular to it's chassis.
☆Other MiNi differences not mentioned☆:
•The Summit has shock springs with different spring rates than the revo.
•The Summit has metal diff outdrives , not plastic.
•The Summit has more like a CVD joint on its driveshafts at the wheel and the M.E.R.V. has standard universal.
•The Summit's body comes with a outer rollcage & also front and rear lights as well as a third brake light and a roof rack light bar and they are all powered by a Traxxas power unit located in the optional second servo location.

Hope this helps anyone still looking for differences.
I have used any and all the different parts between the two vehicles without issue or mods (except the summit bumpers on the M.E.R.V., i had to trim the M.E.R.V. body a lil).