Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 PM
dumhuve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

Drive on a NiMh when there's lipo ha ha...
You won't believe the difference.
You go from a sluggish car to doughnuts and almost popping wheelis (on 3s)
2s is probably the best alround power however, more manageble.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Munt

Hi everyone. I just bought a new Brushless Micro SCT out the box, no upgrades yet, and im super excited about it. Im relatively new to RC cars so I probably have a few questions....

I plan on upgrading from the stock batteries to LiPo batteries. I understand I will need a charger with the new battery, so do i buy the battery+charger combo from amazon for like $42? I hear people getting lipo batteries for under $10... But if I do that, I will need charger with that. So are all lipo batteries compatible with the charger or does it matter based on brand, or something? Any reccomendation on where to buy my lipo battery/charger?

Also, people say that the lipo battery causes motor to overheat and melt the pinion, but does that still happen on the Brushless motor?

And also, is it a bad idea to buy multiple battery packs to use on the go or will that put too much strain on the motor? I was thinking If I could use the stock NiMH battery and once thats finished switch it out immediately with my soo-to-be new set of lipo batteries to keep running the truck.

I think thats all. LiPo batteries will be my biggest and main upgrade to my crushless SCT, and if anyone has any general advice please post
I am also very concerned with the long term maintenance of my truck. I love to have fun with it but I will do whatever it takes to keep it out of harms way.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
DieHarder

Hi there Munt!
Welcome to RCU! I've been here a few months, and what's funny is, I'm in the same boat as you with this lipo thing. I'm pretty quick when it comes to 1/10 or 1/8 rcs, but for an early christmas present (Dec. 1) I am getting a Losi Micro Brushless SCT too! I've been searching around and pretty much decided that I'm going to run the NiMh until I have the extra $40 for a 2S. I think having several batteries for an extended run time could be good to a point. Like if you use them at least once a month, great. But if they sit around for 3-4 months becaus your too busy to run them, then they will pretty much die. And with several batteries all dying (So to speak), that's alot of money down the drain vs just one dying. See what I mean? I'm not exactly sure what charger you should get, because I'll just be running my 1/10 charger with a micro adapter. Someone here should know though. I don't think the motor will burn up the pinion, because the whole truck is designed to work stock. So If it breaks, I'll be finding something stronger.It seems like my biggest problem is going to be finding a place to run it. I was gonna ask that is it better for tread wear to run it on Concrete, carpet, or dirt? If someone says carpet, I might be in trouble. Guess I'll have to rearrange my room.
ORIGINAL: Munt

Hi everyone. I just bought a new Brushless Micro SCT out the box, no upgrades yet, and im super excited about it. Im relatively new to RC cars so I probably have a few questions....

I plan on upgrading from the stock batteries to LiPo batteries. I understand I will need a charger with the new battery, so do i buy the battery+charger combo from amazon for like $42? I hear people getting lipo batteries for under $10... But if I do that, I will need charger with that. So are all lipo batteries compatible with the charger or does it matter based on brand, or something? Any reccomendation on where to buy my lipo battery/charger?

Also, people say that the lipo battery causes motor to overheat and melt the pinion, but does that still happen on the Brushless motor?

And also, is it a bad idea to buy multiple battery packs to use on the go or will that put too much strain on the motor? I was thinking If I could use the stock NiMH battery and once thats finished switch it out immediately with my soo-to-be new set of lipo batteries to keep running the truck.

I think thats all. LiPo batteries will be my biggest and main upgrade to my crushless SCT, and if anyone has any general advice please post
I am also very concerned with the long term maintenance of my truck. I love to have fun with it but I will do whatever it takes to keep it out of harms way.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is only problems with the pinion when running a lipo on the brushed motor with stock gearing.
Since u are running brushless u don't have to worry.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Munt

Ahh thank you very much phmaximus and DieHard1207  . I'll have no worries running my sct on lipos then
Speaking of which, I ordered a set of lipos and charger from amazon for $42. I think its a little pricey but I just really want to try it out with lipo. And I couldnt wait lol.

I do have 1 more concern about my truck though. I understand that you shouldnt run the micro sct in sand or dirt because it can get inside the car and damage the motor or gears.. From taking a glance at the truck, I can see an opening near the front right tire. Does anyone know how to make the truck sandproof?  I've tried looking it up on YouTube and the people who do this are pros and they like make an entire chassis by themself or something. I was just wondering if there was a quick fix to make it sandproof. If there isnt its no big deal, ill just be careful and stick with pavement.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 PM
phmaximus

No easy fixes to keep dirt out, not that I know of
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM
DieHarder

Since my Micro Brushless SCT is only 4 Days, 16 Hours, and 44 Minutes away, I decided to build a micro track out of cardboard and tape. There will definetly be pics! I have three jumps and up-the-wall-ramp to drift around. It's almost complete, but since the TV fell over on the track because the cat walked up my ramp, and the weight was too much, I now have to fix that part. But there is a detour around it. Like I said, there will be pics!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 AM
tyhodge07

ORIGINAL: Munt

Ahh thank you very much phmaximus and DieHard1207 . I'll have no worries running my sct on lipos then
Speaking of which, I ordered a set of lipos and charger from amazon for $42. I think its a little pricey but I just really want to try it out with lipo. And I couldnt wait lol.

I do have 1 more concern about my truck though. I understand that you shouldnt run the micro sct in sand or dirt because it can get inside the car and damage the motor or gears.. From taking a glance at the truck, I can see an opening near the front right tire. Does anyone know how to make the truck sandproof? I've tried looking it up on YouTube and the people who do this are pros and they like make an entire chassis by themself or something. I was just wondering if there was a quick fix to make it sandproof. If there isnt its no big deal, ill just be careful and stick with pavement.

Are you talking about something like this. Not sure if it would work with the stock servo tho.

http://www.microtforum.com/forum/vie...=218416#218416
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 AM
phmaximus

that link need a user name and password to view []
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
tyhodge07

Must be a hidden section. Sorry. It's a guard he attached to his servo to block the dust. On shapeways.com search losi micro and u will find a dust cover for the motor front and spur.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Munt

WOOT My losi LiPo 2 Cell battery and charger just came in the mail, I tried it out, and WOW such a great improvement from the stock NiMH batteries.  Im so excited about it. It picks up real nice.. i dont think Ill ever touch my NiMH batteries every again once I've tasted LiPo!

Heres the info:
LOSB9635
Battery:
Xcelorin 7.4V 250mAh 2s LiPo
15C continuous discharge and 20-25C bursts   [/i]<(Idk what this means)

Charger:
Input: 100-240V; AC:50-60Hz 
Output: 8.4V DC @ 150mA

I do have a quick question. 
I plan on buying another lipo battery so I can have 2 batteries when I go out for double the fun
Does it matter what brand of lipo battery I get or will all LiPo batteries with the same connector work on the Lipo charger? What about the # of cells? What if I move up to 3 Cell? Will I have to get a new charger?

Thank you. lol 
Im sorry for all these nooby questions. Im fairly new to RC cars in general, and idk who else to ask...  but im getting there..slowly..

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM
DieHarder

I finally got my Losi Micro Brushless SCT today!!!Tried it out!....um..........um........it sucks on NiMh.It totally needs a lipo. I will very soon be buying one.Once I get the money. But I can run it for now.But I'd rather have a lipo.Love the 2.4GHz radio. One thing, I have the steering duration thing set at full turn, but it still makes wide turns. Is there any way to make it turn sharper? Do I need a different servo? Any help would be great!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
gtstwincam

Hello everyone. The last time I was on this site was probably in 2002 when I bought the new HPI MRS4. It's been in the closet the last 10 years and after graduating college, working corporate, buying a home and having a family, I needed something to do on my spare time. pulled out the MRS4 and found out it was obsolete. So shopping around for the last few months, I finally decided on the LOSI SCT brushless road truck because it had great reviews on amazon and I didnt want a big 1:10 scale. There is something about micros I just like.

I just ordered the lipo 7.2v.

I updated my profile and look forward to getting to know all of you on here and to gain knowledge from all of you regarding this truck.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

I finally got my Losi Micro Brushless SCT today!!! Tried it out!....um..........um........it sucks on NiMh. It totally needs a lipo. I will very soon be buying one. Once I get the money. But I can run it for now. But I'd rather have a lipo. Love the 2.4GHz radio. One thing, I have the steering duration thing set at full turn, but it still makes wide turns. Is there any way to make it turn sharper? Do I need a different servo? Any help would be great!
What's limiting the steering? Servo, or the steering arms hitting there carrier?

Allso check that the diffs ate working, if they are new and tight they will cause understeer
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, My brother and I are thinking of getting a brushless rally/sct each to race each other in the house or in the front yard, maybe do some small jumps and stuff like that.
What spare parts should we buy since they are cheap?
This is a list of parts I made so far:
Wheels and tires
Wheel nuts
Axle Set
Dog bones
Pinion and spur gear set
Ring and Pinion set
Suspension arms set
Spindle, carrier and hub set
Steering/Servo Saver Hardware Set
Are all these even neccesary?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 AM
phmaximus

all u really need is a ring/pinion set and the steering links.... oh and spare body clips for sure
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
phmaximus

ok guys, 2nd time around I think ive got a way to fit adjustable turnbuckles to the steering links....... Its just been payed for so when it arrives in the post ill post another update.... oh how exciting
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

all u really need is a ring/pinion set and the steering links.... oh and spare body clips for sure
thanks, I will get the ring/pinion set, pinion and spur gear set, body clips and I will make steering links myself out of stronger plastic but will prefer to buy them ready made

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 AM
phmaximus

some guys are having some luck making them from cable ties...

sus this, it looks very promising, I will be trying the small one of these for my losi. fingers crossed. this is my 2nd attempt on finding turnbuckles
Ive ordered 2 from the UK, for £6.60 about $10 including postage

Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Haddi Taha

Those turnbuckles like they will work, hope they fit.

So far here is what I am going to order

Losi Micro SCT Brushless RTR
Body Clips
Brass Pinion Gears
Spare Wheels
Servo Saver/Linkages Set
5x Hobbyking LiPo Batteries (when they get back in stock)

Does this look like a good place to start?

Another problem is what am I going to do with battery connectors, should I install a JST on the esc or change all 5 battery connectors to Losi ones. Do you think JST connectors can handle the power? Sorry I am new to mini/micro rc thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
phmaximus

Damm, that's a big order

Double check but I think the brushless rtr has brass pinion gears fitted/included
Body clips are a must.
Spare wheels, worth having, but not very important, they are really strong, just don't
last long
I haven't had any problems with the servo saver, but I've broken a few links.
That a lot of batteries [X(]

Connectors....

These things pull only 9a on the highest punch, so current wise it does not matter.
Personally I would change the ESC to JST, it's a bigger stronger connector, and saves changing all the battery connectors over.
And most of the small lipos are JST too. And JST plugs are IMO easier to crimp,
I did mine the other way around and regret it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Haddi Taha

Damm, that's a big order

Double check but I think the brushless rtr has brass pinion gears fitted/included
Body clips are a must.
Spare wheels, worth having, but not very important, they are really strong, just don't
last long
I haven't had any problems with the servo saver, but I've broken a few links.
That a lot of batteries [X(]

Connectors....

These things pull only 9a on the highest punch, so current wise it does not matter.
Personally I would change the ESC to JST, it's a bigger stronger connector, and saves changing all the battery connectors over.
And most of the small lipos are JST too. And JST plugs are IMO easier to crimp,
I did mine the other way around and regret it.
Thanks man, I would of just ordered 3 batteries but since they are only $3.50 I thought why not. I am going to do some research to see if the brushless one comes with a brass pinion

Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 AM
phmaximus

Sweet as, keep us updated
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 AM
phmaximus

How this for sucky, my youngest is comming up to 2 has been obsessing with my losi for the last 3months, he takes it every where, shops, grannies, car trips... It's funny. It's like his blankie. But today the naughty boy, putting it nicely, decided it needed a wash and chucked it in a todler pool....not happy....

I'm going to wait a few days to make sure it's completely dry before testing it... Sigh []

There is one upgrade I now recomend, it's the genuine losi alloy suspension bits.
the back end of mine is all alloy, and the suspension is so much smoother than the front, there is little to no resistance in the suspension pins, it's really loosened it up, and now Its that smoothe u can actually set the droop. And noticeably increased traction
And they have survived a 1 yo puching it around everywhere where the front plastic arms are cracked and slightly bent.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Haddi Taha

How this for sucky, my youngest is comming up to 2 has been obsessing with my losi for the last 3months, he takes it every where, shops, grannies, car trips... It's funny. It's like his blankie. But today the naughty boy, putting it nicely, decided it needed a wash and chucked it in a todler pool....not happy....

I'm going to wait a few days to make sure it's completely dry before testing it... Sigh []

There is one upgrade I now recomend, it's the genuine losi alloy suspension bits.
the back end of mine is all alloy, and the suspension is so much smoother than the front, there is little to no resistance in the suspension pins, it's really loosened it up, and now Its that smoothe u can actually set the droop. And noticeably increased traction
And they have survived a 1 yo puching it around everywhere where the front plastic arms are cracked and slightly bent.
haha that must suck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.