Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/18 volcano redcat

Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Redjet78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/18 volcano redcat

Hey is there anyone one playing with these mini trucks o think there blast we two of them red and blue i picked a brussless motor new off e bay same size is the brussed one just need a esc if anyone knows the right one to get for motor like that and has ine converted one over to brussless yet ? I am going to give a try to make one brussless just not going to pull the running ones down yet till i know someone has done and the right way no sloppy job thanks if there anyone that knows please get back to me on it thank you redjet78
Old 02-21-2016, 06:30 AM
redcat_enthusy

Hi Redjet78,

I picked up one of these RedCat Volcano 18's a couple months ago and loved it... until just yesterday. I charged up the battery, went to drive it and no motor activity. The front turning servo works great. It's definitely getting power, but no acceleration. It worked perfect about a week ago when I last took it out. Battery says it's fully charged. I guess I'll replace the battery first and see what that does. Maybe, the battery is not holding enough power to get the motor turning. I know, when the battery starts to die normally, that happens and only the front servos will operate. Before this problem, I was going to look into upgrading this vehicle to brushless...how's that working out for you? I also upgraded the lower suspension arms to aluminum. I broke one about a month ago when I clipped a pole out in a parking lot. I still love this rc and hope to get it rolling again.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Redjet78

Hi so yours died won't go i to tell you its the motor whice it probably is is yours a v1? or a v2? Its probably the motor but ! On the other hand its the esc but check and see if you are getting power out to motor with a volt meter quick and cheap! I would test those first. But forget all that and get a hold of redcat and file a claim. With the company Arizona there great go on line or call them there great they back there warranty up they well take of you quick they grwat with you they have been great with on replacing electric parts That go out on the volcano andi am not kidding we have two of them there a blast so tell what think is and they well send you parts out no charge they with us got ares of E BAY. And ypu well not be down long hope this works for you goodluck and i well keep you posted on future up grades on yours as far as brussless is concerned. I can got the motor looking for esc that well be right and well look that fatory job when no short cuts or ductap !!!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 AM
B3nsen

Cheers

I got also a Redcat volcano 18 red a while ago. Great toy for my son and me we broke it several times and replaced suspension arms and suspension a few times. Lately the same issue with the full battery but no power on the car happend.
We got the V2 with 2 in 1 reciever esc...why I wont change to brushless to much to change...but Im still figuring out how to fix the battery or get a new one.

BTW does anybody know why these battery are only erlaud to charge over the balancer plug which isnt a balancer as mentioned in the manual?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 AM
redcat_enthusy

Greetings, not sure why they are only allowed to charge over balancer plug. When you say you're getting no power to your car, do you mean absolutely no power? No turning either? I took Redjet78's advice (thank you) and contacted Redcat Racing directly and they sent me a new motor free of charge. The new motor they sent me is an upgraded one too, not a brushless, but this new one is much stronger and my Volcano 18 is sometimes hard to control, but it is lightning fast! I also changed the front suspension arms to aluminum... the plastic ones just can't hold up to the abuse I put it through. Love this little truck!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 AM
B3nsen

Thanks for your advice. The car does absolutly not move when connected and on with the hexfly battery. So yeah, I followed your advice and mailed redcat. Lets see what they say.

In fact I tried another LI-ION with 700MAh from Carson, with this battery the car moves for like 30 secs and then off..only steering possible. Could that be the ESC, as Redjet mentioned?

Hopefully Redcat is willing to fix it.

Ill keep you posted!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM
redcat_enthusy

I doubt its the ESC if you were able to get 30 secs of runtime off the 700MAh, but I've seen crazier things. When you turn the RC and transmitter on does the light on the ESC come on and beep... and does the servo center the front wheels?