Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Need some good advice on an RC18

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
RCJuice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some good advice on an RC18

OK, so I'm a harcdore nitro guy, and I really like building high speed cars (working on a wicked big block Jato right now). I've decided that I want an electric so I can play in front of my house without pissing off my neighbors in between trips to the warehouse lots to run my nitros. I've decided that I want an RC18T and I have a few questions I was hoping somebody could answer for me.

FIrst off, I am not 100% new to electrics but I have limited knowledge. I am looking to build a high speed run car and am interested in the best motor/ESC combo for top speed. I have spent hours online reading and going through several pages on the RC18 thread and my head is spinning. I definitely realize that simply having higher KV's doesn't translate into more speed/power, but I am not familiar enough with what motors and ESC's are good. I'm leaning towards a Mamba Micro ESC, but don't know for sure and am not sure about the motor.

Also, for the car itself. If I could find a nice used setup I'd go for it, but I really like starting out with a new car. Is everything on the brushed 2.4 ghz car the same as the brushless 2.4ghz car besides the motor and ESC? I figure if I'm getting rid of the stock electronics it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
rc18junky

Default RE: Need some good advice on an RC18

you wont like the 18t as a speed run car they brake a little to easy. the diff will be a problem from the start and if you flip it at high speed you will haven't to watch it closely so you will know where the parts went flying to. i have beefed mine up as much as you can and i still having trouble with it bracken. i went so far as modding in a standard size servo in it to save me from buying mini servo gears.

if you want a speed pass car you will be much happier with a 1/10 on road it will cost you a little more money but will save you time and money after trips to your hobby shop for parts to keep the 18t running. a used tc3 or tc4 on ebay go for under 90.00 all the time

mine not what you want

much happier
Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
flipside7

The vendetta chassis is the ticket
Old 08-13-2011, 03:18 PM
waybous

I own a RC18B which is pretty much what you are wanting to buy. I founf out that putting in a Mamba 5400Kv brushless with stock gearing will push it pretty close to a stock nitro car speed. The diff problem that was mentioned in this post can be eaisly fixed with the diff gear spacer that is sold out in the hobby shop in your area. The more torque you put to that rear diff it makes slide back to the rear of the car and makes it grind. My 18B is actually pretty reliable, I run foam tires and I upgraded the suspension all around to oil shocks and stock springs in the front and one step higher in the back and I lowered it as far as it can go. The RC18B/T is one of the best cars I have raced fo the size/price as in price to fix them up and to matain the up keep on them. If you end up buying one the first thing you should do is the ball bearing upgrade. It makes a huge difference on the way handles too. Then go with suspension mainly because when you turn you have some fluid rebound due to the oil shocks.

I hope all this info helps you in buying an 1/18 scale car.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
flipside7

Wait, the rc18 don't have bearings?????????
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All 3 of mine do.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

The rc18 can be a little speed demon . I could imagine if you hit something doing a speed run your car is going to explode.. rc18 series are not going to hold up to high speed crashes.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
flipside7

Yeah, wanna get one too