Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM
gdiddy13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

I think this may have been discussed before, but is there a way to run cooler temps on these motors? I did make a small cut in the faux battery box the motor sits in, and that has helped a bit. But I'm looking to cool it down even further. Thanks,
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gdiddy13

I think this may have been discussed before, but is there a way to run cooler temps on these motors? I did make a small cut in the faux battery box the motor sits in, and that has helped a bit. But I'm looking to cool it down even further. Thanks,
Run a fan on the motor.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

If your motor is getting that hot, id check gearing. I can run 2 2s 25c lipos 5000mah each, back to back and i can still hold my finger on the motor for a few seconds. everything is 100% stock, other than pro-line badlands
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
gdiddy13

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Run a fan on the motor.
Have any pics on how this is done? Type of fan etc?

I believe they are talking about fans for the ESC, in the previous posts a few back
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM
cumminspower5.9

You can use the fan for the castle sidewinder sct system, but personally I do;t see how it would fit without seriously modding the fake battery box near the motor.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
t9dragon

Run a fan on the motor.
Have any pics on how this is done? Type of fan etc?

I believe they are talking about fans for the ESC, in the previous posts a few back
Castle Creations makes a fan that fits their motors. I use on in my Axial EXO buggy. But to get one to fit in the XS you are going to have to modify the area around the motor.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 AM
digijohnson

Hey folks, new to the forum, and the hobby. My g/f bought me a savage XS recently, and I'm just having problem after problem. The first one she bought me, the ESC fried after 1 pack (turnigy 5800, 30c, 2s). Since it was only a few days after purchase, Amazon allowed us to return it. The second one ran for about 10 packs, then after a couple days, I put a fresh pack in, and it immediately started shuttering and not moving anywhere. Then smoke poured out of the ESC. There's number 2. So I realize that I'll probably never get a decent ECS from HPI, so I buy a Mamba Max Pro on the recommendation of basically everybody on the internet.

Now the fun begins. I ran it for about half a pack, and I notice it is cutting out every so often. Like, if I'm in a turn, the wheels will lock in that position but I lose control of the steering and throttle. Then it comes back after about a second. This isn't after an impact, just randomly while driving on flat cement. So I go to switch it off, and nearly burned my hand on the battery leads. I let it cool for a bit, and remove the body, and the shrink wrap on the battery leads has melted off. The next day I run it, hoping it was just breaking in or something (wishful thinking), and now the battery leads are fine, but the motor leads are getting hot. Not as hot as the battery leads did before. But still hot, and the motor is CRAZY hot (too hot to touch). Also, it is still cutting out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but when I'm running the car at high speed, and then slide out, the car seems to cut out as well, but in a different way. When this happens, I lose control of the throttle for about a second, but I can still control the steering. Please help as I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

Btw, aside from the ESC, the car is stock. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: digijohnson

Hey folks, new to the forum, and the hobby. My g/f bought me a savage XS recently, and I'm just having problem after problem. The first one she bought me, the ESC fried after 1 pack (turnigy 5800, 30c, 2s). Since it was only a few days after purchase, Amazon allowed us to return it. The second one ran for about 10 packs, then after a couple days, I put a fresh pack in, and it immediately started shuttering and not moving anywhere. Then smoke poured out of the ESC. There's number 2. So I realize that I'll probably never get a decent ECS from HPI, so I buy a Mamba Max Pro on the recommendation of basically everybody on the internet.

Now the fun begins. I ran it for about half a pack, and I notice it is cutting out every so often. Like, if I'm in a turn, the wheels will lock in that position but I lose control of the steering and throttle. Then it comes back after about a second. This isn't after an impact, just randomly while driving on flat cement. So I go to switch it off, and nearly burned my hand on the battery leads. I let it cool for a bit, and remove the body, and the shrink wrap on the battery leads has melted off. The next day I run it, hoping it was just breaking in or something (wishful thinking), and now the battery leads are fine, but the motor leads are getting hot. Not as hot as the battery leads did before. But still hot, and the motor is CRAZY hot (too hot to touch). Also, it is still cutting out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but when I'm running the car at high speed, and then slide out, the car seems to cut out as well, but in a different way. When this happens, I lose control of the throttle for about a second, but I can still control the steering. Please help as I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

Btw, aside from the ESC, the car is stock. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. First off, HPI screwed up with the whole esc thing. They took a Castle ESc, modded it to their specs, and sold it. This has happened a lot. Mine went up in smoke and they replaced it, but im still using the replacement. So it's HPI's fault for that. The Mamba Max will do great.

Now for the cutting out issue... I believe this is because you need a BEC, or an external BEC. This is so the ESC can supply enough voltage to the steering servo. Someone will chime in ifI am incorrect, but i'm pretty sure that's the issue. They are cheap, but its because HPI didn;t design the Mamba Max with a good BEC

Battery leads...are you doing speed runs? that will get temps up on the motor and leads, but mostly the motor. A lot of people run fans on the motor. I don;t personally, but some people just have had heat issue and some haven't. It's wierd.

Im running a 25c battery 2s lipo. The higher the C rating, the more punch it will have. So the power will get to the motor quicker, probably creating higher temps.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM
cumminspower5.9

Just got a new body fitted from a New Bright Dodge Ram. It was my dads from the early 90's lol. pretty sweet looking, although the battery box is in possibility of breaking i guess
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27690.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1774855  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well after my first esc was bad in my XS making my motor run at 190f on 2s with v-groove street tires. i sent it in got a new one after 2 weeks of waiting this was 2 weeks ago. then today i was shocked [X(] to see a fedex truck pull up with another new vapor pro esc. As i just replaced the stock motor with a 3800kv castle one guess i can make my evader brushless now
Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 AM
t9dragon

Do you guys know what the stock shock oil weight is? I have to rebuild the rear shock on my son's XS after he broke it into 2 peices... Also just made a killer deal and got a used XS with fried esc for $90 shipped...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
rologti

The XS SS uses wt 40.....maybe it's the same on the RTR....or you could change all the oil of the shocks for new one...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
t9dragon

Here is the carnage from last weekend's bashing session..

My XS...

My Son's XS

Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM
cumminspower5.9

Ouch t9. Easy fixes tho! and not too costly. I had a pretty good bash this weekend. Out in the backyard was tearing it up. It flipped so stupidly, and cracked the rear hub carrier at the bottom where the pin goes thru, but it hasn't let go yet. gonna glue. then i was hauling as* at full throttle across a cut grass field, hit the driveway, bounced up about 3 feet, flipped for maybe 15 feet, hit a tree and bounced off into 3ft tall grass and weeds. drove right out of that one with no broken parts. my esc didnt like speed runs that day. i saw some milky looking liquid stuff in the esc. not sure what it was. but it turned to liquid lol. haven't tried to see if it still works yet.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Ouch t9. Easy fixes tho! and not too costly. I had a pretty good bash this weekend. Out in the backyard was tearing it up. It flipped so stupidly, and cracked the rear hub carrier at the bottom where the pin goes thru, but it hasn't let go yet. gonna glue. then i was hauling as* at full throttle across a cut grass field, hit the driveway, bounced up about 3 feet, flipped for maybe 15 feet, hit a tree and bounced off into 3ft tall grass and weeds. drove right out of that one with no broken parts. my esc didnt like speed runs that day. i saw some milky looking liquid stuff in the esc. not sure what it was. but it turned to liquid lol. haven't tried to see if it still works yet.
Yes they were easy fixes this time. In all my RCing years I have never seen a shock break like that. I guess my son is harder on his XS than I thought... LOL..

My 3rd XS should be here Friday. Not sure if I will use this one for parts or send the ESC in and than resell it or give it to my 6yr old daughter to drive...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
cumminspower5.9

Man you really love the XS don't ya? i wish i had more than one rc. Im going to be honest, I dont get a lot of time to run mine much. I work a lot of hours and then come home and watch my kids, so t me the truck seems stupid just sitting there, but when i get it out after a while, it remends me that this thing was built to be fast and built to be beaten. by that point i have a nice grin lol
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
t9dragon

Man you really love the XS don't ya? i wish i had more than one rc. Im going to be honest, I dont get a lot of time to run mine much. I work a lot of hours and then come home and watch my kids, so t me the truck seems stupid just sitting there, but when i get it out after a while, it remends me that this thing was built to be fast and built to be beaten. by that point i have a nice grin lol
I feel your pain.. I really don't have much time either to run my RC's. I have 7 kids of those seven 6 play baseball, softball, football and dance. As of right now my 3 oldest daughters (13, 15, 16) are still playing softball and my 11yr old son's team just finshed their baseball season. My oldest who is 18 has kept me pretty busy going to basketball, football and baseball games over the last 13 years and now he is head to college and really if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have gotten back into RC. Now my 11yr old son and 6yr old daughter keep me in the RC's they love to run their trucks with dad.. and my 5yr old son loves to just watch and then runs a flips the trucks over for us when they land on their tops..

So for at least the next couple of months I will finally have some bashing time... O, I also work 2 jobs in around everything else... But RC's are a great stress releiver... and I have about 25 RC's at this time too..
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
cumminspower5.9

Wow, I don't know how you keep it together day by day. But yes, watching an rc fly by at high speed and then hit a jump and flip is a great stress reliever. till something breaks lol. then it sucks
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
t9dragon

Wow, I don't know how you keep it together day by day. But yes, watching an rc fly by at high speed and then hit a jump and flip is a great stress reliever. till something breaks lol. then it sucks
My 11yr old son asked me this the last time we went bashing and he broke the shock. He said, "Dad can I still drive it even though it is broke.." He doesn't care if it is broke or not he loves bashing his XS..
Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM
cumminspower5.9

My 11yr old son asked me this the last time we went bashing and he broke the shock. He said, "Dad can I still drive it even though it is broke.." He doesn't care if it is broke or not he loves bashing his XS..
LOL atta boy! sounds like you've got a cool son to bash with. My son is only 2. I gave him my mini-t, ya know, just to push around and stuff. and then snap on a tie rid, motor wires gone, and in a pool it went a few days later lol. good thing i took all the electronics out.he will one day be as good a basher as pops lol
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
rologti

I feel your pain.. I really don't have much time either to run my RC's. I have 7 kids.......
OMG....Are you a millionare????....i don't know how is in USA, but here a kid really costs money..well, it could cost almost 0, but public health, public schools, etc....are rubbish....i can't speak too much...I have just one doughter and she is 15 days old...and i'm really sleepy
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: rologti

I feel your pain.. I really don't have much time either to run my RC's. I have 7 kids.......
OMG....Are you a millionare????....i don't know how is in USA, but here a kid really costs money..well, it could cost almost 0, but public health, public schools, etc....are rubbish....i can't speak too much...I have just one doughter and she is 15 days old...and i'm really sleepy
LOL... they cost alot to raise here in the states too.. and nope not a millionaire...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

LOL yea living here isn't too expensive. You just have to budget it. Im the only one working in my family. My wife watches our 2 year old, and we have one on the way. try living off $450 a week. its a challenge, but doable if you budget and do things smart lol
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 AM
rologti

BTW...someone with knowledge about batteries and brushless conversions???....just make a brushless conversion and have some questions...

The winter is getting here....some rain and cold....RC fun is ending....

Time to get my hands into my car?....

Off topic mode: off
Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: rologti

BTW...someone with knowledge about batteries and brushless conversions???....just make a brushless conversion and have some questions...

The winter is getting here....some rain and cold....RC fun is ending....

Time to get my hands into my car?....

Off topic mode: off
What are you converting to brushless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.