Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Mine just cleared customs today after being there for eight days. Looks like it will arrive in the next day or two. I plan on removing the 'bomb' right away. I am considering calling HPI saying I know of the multiple ESC fires and am not interested in trying considering the precedent for these things to go up in smoke. I don't like the idea of subjecting myself to the nerves of wondering if or when its going to go. If they ask me to start a fire to see if I am warranty eligible I will find that funny.
What are you scared of? Maybe you will get lucky and have a good ESC like me. I have only read of 10-12 esc's going up on smoke on the forums.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM
TimC63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ESC ISSUES:
T9dragon is right, there isn't anything to be afraid of with a new XS.  On a forum like this, you do hear about all the failures because this is where the enthusiasts go to see if anyone else is having the same problem they are.
I haven't counted myself but if 10-12 failed (plus mine - I hadn''t posted that yet) out of the first batch of what? 500? 1,000 units?  Those numbers are not great but by no means indicates yours will fail.

Ultimately HPI may find that the Vapor/sidewinder is undersized for the gearing they chose to enable them to boast that this is the fasted mini-monster ever.  Hopefully they will make good on it with their customers.

With such varied failures (Redfisher's few seconds of power up to link his radio, the guy who drove it on a short run to trim the steering before his smoked, to those who were able to run a number of 3S packs before failure) it will be interesting to see if HPI or Castle shares if the same component is failing in all of these.  I'd guess the ones that smoked on power up had issues other than the ones that seem to be heat or overheat related.
I got about a weeks use before mine non-dramatically powered down after hitting the low-voltage cutoff and sitting plugged in to let the fan run for a minute.  It shut down on its own after about 40 seconds (fan and LEDS shut off) and never powered up again.

BATTERY FITMENT:
Johnbazl,
That Turnigy hardcase 40c pack will fit.  According to HK's website, that hardcase is the same dimension as the Turnigy 5000mA, 2S, 30C hardcase packs I have been using in the XS.  The battery must be placed all the way forward which leaves just enough room for the wires to bend up and out without any modification to the battery tray or door.  This also leaves enough room to place the balance connector and wires "behind" the battery as they will interfere with the door closure if tucked in beside the lipo pack.
To my knowledge, the largest Turnigy 3S that will fit is the 3600mA, 3S.  It requires a piece of foam on top as it is much flatter than will fit in the compartment.  That said, I have only test fitted but not run mine on 3S yet as it is quite a handful on 2S!

ESC OPTIONS:
While my Vapor is on it way to and from HPI for repair or replacement, I am using my older Mamba Max (not the Pro) ESC.  Since the original Max was not fan-cooled, I installed it in the original position with servo tape and mounted a 40mmx40mm CPU fan diagonally on two of the posts that secured the Vapor ESC.  It works great and it seems like I am getting more runtime with this ESC than with the Vapor.  I don't think i was mistaking a thermal shutdown for the low-volt cutoff with the Vapor because I am still finding the lipos at about the same voltage when starting the charge process.

God Bless,

TC
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey guys,
This is very interesting. I am a micro freak. Ever since I got into RC I have loved micros. I have had monster trucks as well, but my heart has always been with the micros. lol
I have been away flying rc planes for quite a while and that is still my main hobby for now. As of current, I have no micros. I was looking at some of the 1/24 scale stuff but really don't like running stuff that small on the road or having to go to a basketball court to run. So I started looking at slightly larger stuff like 1/18 and 1/16, then I saw some 1/14 stuff coming out then I found this gem. The last HPI I owned was the E-Savage. Actually mine was the Hot Bodies E-Zilla, same thing just before HPI bought it out.

So anyway, I believe I am full in with this one. I like the fact that it has full size servo, and 12mm Hex wheel hubs. It does have 12mm hex hubs right?
I just can't wait to get one. I hope my LHS gets one in soon, the owner will give me a good discount
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

So I got my flux xs today took it out to my usual bashing spot after 9 minutes the power dropped way down brought it over and took a look and there was smoke coming from the transmission. The ESC was not even warm the motor was smoking hot I am thinking the motor may be done. I am going to hook it up my mini revo (tenbol motor mount) and see it that's what it is before I contact HPI. Damn annoying I must say.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks for the post hereticgod, not sounding too good for this truck so far.

Now I remember what led me to this truck. I saw the HPI mini Recon. I may still consider it, but it's no where near the truck that the Flux XS is.
the main thing for me is the full size gear in a mini. I used to have the CEN ME16MT. Not much support but it was a cool truck. It also had a full size servo, 550 size motor and 12mm hex wheels.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
hereticgod

Well after closer inspection turns out my slipper clutch was completely loose, I tightened it up and took it out and wow does she go. Looks like she's not broke after all.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Thanks for the post hereticgod, not sounding too good for this truck so far.

Now I remember what led me to this truck. I saw the HPI mini Recon. I may still consider it, but it's no where near the truck that the Flux XS is.
the main thing for me is the full size gear in a mini. I used to have the CEN ME16MT. Not much support but it was a cool truck. It also had a full size servo, 550 size motor and 12mm hex wheels.
Hey wheelnut,

The Savage XS is a much better truck than the CEN. Yes, it does use 12mm hubs.

Here is a pic of it next to a 1/8 Savage Flux HP

Here is is next to a Stampede

Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Peloche

Hi,

There is a comment onto Modelsport uk about the software upgrade of Q-Base:

"This is a mamba max pro in disguise. Exactly the same, except the firmware is 1.24, and can not be upgraded. This is a huge dissapointment, since the 1,24 software has problems handeling digital and high current servoes. It makes the ESC freeze (the mamba monster max with newer firmware does not have this problem). This can be fixed with a UBEC though. Other than that, a great ESC, although i would go for the real castle creation mamba max pro instead.

Posted on 4th May 2011 by kjunker71184 "
Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 AM
reddogg26

I called HPI last night to find out what they are doing about the problems. The customer service rep told me that they are working with castle to solve the issue and it looks to be a software issue...But not confirmed on that yet. In the mean time they said that it would be best not to run 3S batteries. He also stated that they will try to put out the resoulution to the problem on their website but he was not sure how the company is going to handle that yet.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 AM
A.BRETON

I also have a savage xs that quite working. My esc never smoked, but the motor started cogging really bad. I ran mine mostly on 2s, some where around 6-8 packs, and I ran one 3s pack. It started cogging 4 packs after I ran the 3s.  I sent my esc and motor to HPI last week, still waiting hear what the issue was.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Wheelnut

t9dragon, thanks for the pics. Like they say, pics are worth a thousand words. I'm calling my LHS guy today and see when he's getting one. Wish me luck

Hey Breton, I lived in Acworth a few years ago. Where did you get your truck?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Peloche

Hi,

There is a comment onto Modelsport uk about the software upgrade of Q-Base:

''This is a mamba max pro in disguise. Exactly the same, except the firmware is 1.24, and can not be upgraded. This is a huge dissapointment, since the 1,24 software has problems handeling digital and high current servoes. It makes the ESC freeze (the mamba monster max with newer firmware does not have this problem). This can be fixed with a UBEC though. Other than that, a great ESC, although i would go for the real castle creation mamba max pro instead.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img] Posted on 4th May 2011 by kjunker71184 ''
I am not sure where they got their information from but the firmware on both of my XS's is version 1.31.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Peloche

ORIGINAL: reddogg26

I called HPI last night to find out what they are doing about the problems. The customer service rep told me that they are working with castle to solve the issue and it looks to be a software issue...But not confirmed on that yet. In the mean time they said that it would be best not to run 3S batteries. He also stated that they will try to put out the resoulution to the problem on their website but he was not sure how the company is going to handle that yet.
Thanks a lot reddogg26 for this information, that means it's should be better to wait before to put into service XS for those who didn't do it yet (brand new or replaced ESC).

@nitro-rob thanks for your welcome

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Peloche

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I am not sure where they got their information from but the firmware on both of my XS's is version 1.31.
The comment is about Q-Base ESC and on your XSs you should have Vapor Pro ESC, no ?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
RCJuice

Hey guys, I'm ready to backorder my XS this weekend from Tower.  I have a $25 off an order of $200 or more code, but I believe that you can get a $50 off coupon for a $300 order. Does anybody have this code? I would think with the money I spend with them I would have one!!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
tails13

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

Hey guys, I'm ready to backorder my XS this weekend from Tower. I have a $25 off an order of $200 or more code, but I believe that you can get a $50 off coupon for a $300 order. Does anybody have this code? I would think with the money I spend with them I would have one!!
If you join the Super Saver club you can get $75 off a $300 order. But the Savage XS is listed as 299.

Join the SS, it's free to join as your next order will recieve $10 off shipping.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: tails13

Hey guys, I'm ready to backorder my XS this weekend from Tower. I have a $25 off an order of $200 or more code, but I believe that you can get a $50 off coupon for a $300 order. Does anybody have this code? I would think with the money I spend with them I would have one!!
If you join the Super Saver club you can get $75 off a $300 order. But the Savage XS is listed as 299.

Join the SS, it's free to join as your next order will receive $10 off shipping.

Couldn't you just add a small item to boost it over the $300 mark? The $75 off is for an order with a "TOTAL" of $300 or more, right?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
RCJuice

Thanks guys. I just checked the Tower site at the SS club but it doesn't say anything about the $75.00 off. Is this something automatic that happens when I sign up, and doI have to join and order at the same time for the discount to kick in?
Believe me, I'll have no problem geting over $300.00... I always have a running "to-buy" list from Tower.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 AM
tails13

Thanks guys. I just checked the Tower site at the SS club but it doesn't say anything about the $75.00 off. Is this something automatic that happens when I sign up, and doI have to join and order at the same time for the discount to kick in?
Believe me, I'll have no problem geting over $300.00... I always have a running "to-buy" list from Tower.
They email you out new coupons every month.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Wheelnut

I called my LHS yesterday, they had 3 but sold them all[:@]
Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 PM
hereticgod

I ran another 2 packs through my flux xs today no problems at all ESC and motor were barely warm. Launched it off a few big jumps no issues at all.

Love this little beast.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Wheelnut

Cool report hereticgod,

I'm starting to think about the mini Summit also. I really just kind of back yard bash around. I also like to make it crawl over stuff.

I can't make up my mind
Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
nitrohawker

I don't know about a $75 off but I know there is $50 off $300 out there. I used one when I ordered mine. I added 2 four packs of batteries to get my total over $300. The club price on the truck is $294.99 so factor that in too.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
t9dragon

Going bashing.............................
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Zoocity

Good luck, i just bashed the car i bought instead of the XS and it broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.