Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM
russ81072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on a good 2s lipo that is not real expensive for the xs, i am getting mine soon. I just can't figure out what battery to get,
i am new to the lipo scene and the whole thing is kind of confusing. i already have a charger, just need to figure out what battery to get, and do i need to change the bananna plug to a deans plug??

Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: russ81072

i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on a good 2s lipo that is not real expensive for the xs, i am getting mine soon. I just can't figure out what battery to get,
i am new to the lipo scene and the whole thing is kind of confusing. i already have a charger, just need to figure out what battery to get, and do i need to change the bananna plug to a deans plug??

[img][/img]
If you read the older post in this thread there are several that mention what batteries will work...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

any electronics can be water proofed with corrosion X. But I don't think it would help the motor or maybe it would. Anyone know?
I know that brushed motors can be run under water for a good break in, but they have to be cleaned and oiled afterwards.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM
RCJuice

No one knows what size the motor shaft is on the stock motor?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
nitro-rob

Its a 3mm, not 5mm.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Its a 3mm, not 5mm.
It's 1/8". which is bigger than 3mm.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
redfisher1974

Red - have you considered swapping your FS and savage XS ESCs? It seems that you have the one for heavier loads on the lighter truck
I did, But I kinda want a waterproof truck.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
A.BRETON

I would like to note that new stock on castle 3800kv  motors have 5mm shaft, and not the 3.2mm. This would make finding pinions hard with the 48 pitch.

I've put  7 packs of 3s through my XS, my heat issues haven't been bad. Ive been seeing 160* on the motor with a fan. And no higher than 145* on the mmp esc. But my front ring gear lose about 5 teeth []
That being said 3s is the ****, the heck with 2s. This thing is a riot, plenty fast, just needs better tires.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: A.BRETON

I would like to note that new stock on castle 3800kv motors have 5mm shaft, and not the 3.2mm. This would make finding pinions hard with the 48 pitch.

I've put 7 packs of 3s through my XS, my heat issues haven't been bad. Ive been seeing 160* on the motor with a fan. And no higher than 145* on the mmp esc. But my front ring gear lose about 5 teeth []
That being said 3s is the ****, the heck with 2s. This thing is a riot, plenty fast, just needs better tires.

What happened to the stock XS ESC?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
A.BRETON

I couldn't keep it from over heating, so its sitting on my bench.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
nitro-rob

I finally had my first run for about 15 minutes on the street in front of my house.  Temps were 110 F on the ESC and 130-140F across the motor.  I was playing and not beating on it too hard.  The gearing feels just fine speed-wise, I wouldn't want it any faster or slower.

The only settings I run on the ESC are punch control at 70% and I take out reverse.  It was a lot of fun although the stock tires aren't helping it very much.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
RCJuice

I finally had my first run for about 15 minutes on the street in front of my house. Temps were 110 F on the ESC and 130-140F across the motor. I was playing and not beating on it too hard. The gearing feels just fine speed-wise, I wouldn't want it any faster or slower.

The only settings I run on the ESC are punch control at 70% and I take out reverse. It was a lot of fun although the stock tires aren't helping it very much.
What gearing did you end up going with?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Wheelnut

HAAA! I was right, they moved the date to Early OCT, Don't they know it's already early OCT I guess Mid OCT is next.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpid7671.html
But they better fix the hot esc and motor issues. I'm not about to spend $300 on a truck that I still have to buy an upgraded motor and esc for.
Maybe they should make it a ARR Kit 80% assembled and that way people know what they are getting.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

I finally had my first run for about 15 minutes on the street in front of my house. Temps were 110 F on the ESC and 130-140F across the motor. I was playing and not beating on it too hard. The gearing feels just fine speed-wise, I wouldn't want it any faster or slower.

The only settings I run on the ESC are punch control at 70% and I take out reverse. It was a lot of fun although the stock tires aren't helping it very much.
What gearing did you end up going with?
I just went with the stock gearing and the 3800kv motor. Its not that warm outside here too which helped with the temps. I will push more next time and see how high I can get them. I will get the radar gun on it as well. If its a 50 mph or so and keeps good temperatures it will stay as-is. I am going to get dirt works on hpi scorch rims all around, that should wake things up a little. It spins a lot even with the high punch control on it. The UltimateRC video review should have been done with some adjustment to the punch control, it makes a huge difference.

I took the motor out again and mounted it properly so the wires come out better. I wish the SCT wires weren't so long but I am not going to cut them until I know the motor is staying in this truck.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: A.BRETON

I would like to note that new stock on castle 3800kv motors have 5mm shaft, and not the 3.2mm.
That's only when combo'd with the MMP.
ORIGINAL: Wheelnut
But they better fix the hot esc and motor issues. I'm not about to spend $300 on a truck that I still have to buy an upgraded motor and esc for.
A: welcome to RC, a money-pit hobby.
B: after 20ish minutes of smashing his little truck around, ThunderbirdJunkie is seeing about 130 on the motor, which is not hot.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Mine also does not run hot, well on 2s anyways but still plenty fast enough in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
fffmonkey1

What is dimension of stock motor (HPI #106768)?   Does it same with Castle 1410 http://www.castlecreations.com/products/nc1410.html ?

Any replace motor can fit?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 PM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

HAAA! I was right, they moved the date to Early OCT, Don't they know it's already early OCT I guess Mid OCT is next.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpid7671.html
Maybe they should make it a ARR Kit 80% assembled and that way people know what they are getting.
I ordered mine about a week ago (when it had still said Late Sept.), and I just got an e-mail saying that it shipped today. I guess they blew through their next shipment fulfilling backorders and they still don't have enough to list it as "in stock". Mine must be from their second wave of XS's.
I'm stuck traveling for work this week but it should be waiting for me when I get home on Thursday!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Wheelnut

TBJ, thanks for the welcome to RC. I've been in this hobby for about 12 years. And yep, your right, it's a money pit. But I have never had to replace the motor and esc on a RTR truck right out of the box. I'm glad your motor is not getting hot. Is the 130 deg on stock setup?

hereticgod, That is good news for me. I only plan to run on 2S if I get this truck. Some others were reporting hot temps on 2s. I guess they are running theirs a lot harder than you or they have some problem with their truck.

Wow, so HPI has not openly admitted any flaws with this truck yet? So I guess that means they are trying to fix the problems internally without setting off an alarm.
I will stay on the fence a little longer. I have learned my lesson the hard way in the past by buying something this new when there were apparent problems. The real question is; is it the truck that has problems or the user is abusing it? 3s lipo is a likely culprit.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 AM
nitro-rob

I didn't find mine ran all that hot but will watch it carefully for the next few packs and report.

I want to run dirt works tires all around and I have a bunch of HPI scorch wheels that I want to use up.  They are a pretty deep offset but so are the warlock wheels on the savage XS.  I certainly don't want to give up any offset with this little beast, especially with tires that will grip.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Wheelnut

I didn't find mine ran all that hot but will watch it carefully for the next few packs and report.

I want to run dirt works tires all around and I have a bunch of HPI scorch wheels that I want to use up. They are a pretty deep offset but so are the warlock wheels on the savage XS. I certainly don't want to give up any offset with this little beast, especially with tires that will grip.
Glad to hear it. Are you running 2s or 3s, or both? Thanks in advance for your next update
Old 10-04-2011, 04:16 AM
nitro-rob

I am running 3s but I am not running the stock ESC or motor.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Wheelnut

Oh! Thanks for the info. Sorry I missed that. I have a lot going on. I'm also in RC Planes and helis and am reading a lot of threads.

So now I know why yours isn't running hot.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 AM
spena

seems like mmp with sct 3800kv is the sweet spot for a speedy xs on 3s. rob keep us posted on your xs speed runsplease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.